GA Solo cabin 10515 review

Agentwho

Hi I just got back from an amazing week on the Norwegian Getaway (May 22-29th) and wanted to post up some thoughts on my solo cabin.

-Size. I'm 6'3" and found that I had plenty of space to move around the area and the bed was very comfortable.

-Storage. I had more that enough room to hang my clothes in the two closets and found the basket under the bed super useful. I also had no problem storing my large suitcase under the bed.

-Window. The large round window was one of the coolest features of the room. Its funky blue light gave the place a fun vibe and made you feel like you were not locked completely away from the world. By adjusting the blinds open and closed you can effect how bright the light is. The glass is frosted, when people walk by you can see a shadow but the only time you can make anything out in the room is if a hand is up against the glass. There are also slide shutters that can close off the window as much as you want, perfect for leaving just enough light at night to maneuver to the bathroom. If they could incorporate some type of daylight sensor to sync it up with the outside wold it would be perfect. One of the worse parts of an inside cabin is loosing track of time because you don't know where the sun is.

-Style. Loved the funky color lights, padded walls and the overall feel of the whole solo area.

-Lounge. The lounge felt a bit small at first but as the week went on I realized you only met a few people at a time there and the space was perfectly sized. I made a lot of use of the coffee machine. The bar only has someone running it from 5-7 making it pretty useless in my book.

-Bathroom. I would like to see this area to be a little larger. I found it to be rather constrained and ended up using it with the door open for more space during uh handling business if you know what I mean.

-Shower. A sizable guy like myself fit ok in the shower, I found that the soap dispenser was easily knocked off the wall by my elbow and washing my feet took some contorting haha. The big draw back of the shower was the water itself. The knob free spins and the hot cold marking don't seem to line up with anything. If like me you prefer a nice steamy hot shower you will be disappointed as all I could get out of it was luke warm with no real pressure. There is a retractable clothes line in the shower that is very useful for hanging up wet shirts/suits to dry.

-Noise. I live in the city and am not worried about little noises keeping me up but I could see where someone who is a light sleeper could be awoken easily in this room. I could always hear what sounded like our closet doors sliding. At first I thought it must of been my neighbor but the fact that it seems to happen all the time tells me there must be a service elevator of sorts near me that was the cause of the sound. Speaking to other solo cabiners (is that a word hehe) it sounds like mine was one of the only rooms to hear this. So if you are a light sleeper try another room.

The sound deadening between the rooms seems to be very good. While talking to another solo a large group passed by us in the hallway all filing into the next room down to see it. I was surprise that the door closed with all of them in there (must of been some kind of record) With the door shut you could hear a bit of sound with them carrying on inside but not much. It was near the end of the week when I finally met my neighbor who mention she though I must have been an old lady because she never heard me. Lets just say there was late night fun in my cabin and it is nice to know the person next door was not disturbed ;)

-Safe. There is a standard room safe located at the bottom of the far closet. It would of been nice if it were a little higher as it's level is below the bed. This meant that you are always using it from a slight up angle. Really not a big deal just a thought.

-Run down. I know the ship is not very old but there were a few small things I noted about the cabin. -The tv always tilted down, after being adjusted up it would hold its spot for a while then drift down. As I really didn't watch any shows this was not a problem for me. -One of the rubber bumpers on the bottom of the toilet lid was missing. Still had the other three so no slamming noises. -Sometimes the flush button had to be pushed a few times to get it to work. -A few of the blinds were bent up. -The cabinet about the tv could not be opened because the closet door didn't slide all the way down the track thus blocking it -The stopper in the sink was just laying in there. That is all that come to mind at the moment and really I saw nothing worth making a fuss about.

-In the end staying in the solo cabin was fun, given the option between regular inside and solo the solo wins every time! Compare this to a window or balcony room and the choice gets harder. I've stayed in balcony's before, the tiny outside space they give you isn't very useful but that natural light does so much for me. Next trip I'll have to weigh how much $$$ that is worth to me.

-Extra advice. If you go for an inside or solo cabin then get the thermal spa package. For one the shower there is on point with steamy hot water to spare and loads of water pressure. The sinks up there give you plenty of room for a good shave. This is a perfect place to go for those mid day book reads/ naps just kicked back on a lounger watching the world go by. Once you factor in the steam room, heated loungers, sauna, hot tub and uncrowded pool how could you not say yes.

Edited by Agentwho
add on

Thank you for posting your review. :)

No problem. I plan to write several review over the next couple of weeks about this cruise touching everything from excursions to on board entertainment. I'll try and post links to intermingle them all together. Hopefully there will be some useful information in there and who know, some may even enjoy the read.

Any pictures?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

With so many pictures videos and 360 views of the solo rooms I didn't the think to take any. It seems all but one photo in the room are of the towel animals. With that said here is the one

image.jpg.c05078b2a0488a65a781363b959da95f.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Your review mentioned the "funky color lights." Was that in reference to the studio hallways? I ask because I've read a few reviews of the Getaway studios where people complained the cabins no longer had the mood lighting like they had on Epic.

Your review mentioned the "funky color lights." Was that in reference to the studio hallways? I ask because I've read a few reviews of the Getaway studios where people complained the cabins no longer had the mood lighting like they had on Epic.

Now that you mention it I do remember seeing a studio cabin video review where the person changed the color of the lights in their room (above the padded walls if memory serves) and complained that it reset with the key card room switch every time. I don't think mine had that, those lights were just white.... The port hole window has a blind open/close knob that allows you to change the intensity of the color from like blues to purples. It does fill the room up with that blue hue at night and its pretty bright once all the other lights are turned out. I ended up closing the shutters most of the way to darken the room most nights for sleeping.

So I'm going to say there were no mood lights on the GA studio cabins. At least not that I saw. The room had light switches everywhere. A couple by the door, by the bed and near the tv. I could have easily missed it, felt like a scavenger hunt to turn the lights out lol.

I just got out of studio room 10537 on GA. No problems with shower heat at all--can go hot enough to scald. The trick is that the left handle is the pressure (click the button and push it all the way forward and around), right is temp (again, click the button like it's a motorcycle grip, and turn it back or forward for temp control.

We don't get mood lighting on GA.

My only issue is the sink. Splash zone.

Now that you mention it I do remember seeing a studio cabin video review where the person changed the color of the lights in their room (above the padded walls if memory serves) and complained that it reset with the key card room switch every time. I don't think mine had that, those lights were just white.... The port hole window has a blind open/close knob that allows you to change the intensity of the color from like blues to purples. It does fill the room up with that blue hue at night and its pretty bright once all the other lights are turned out. I ended up closing the shutters most of the way to darken the room most nights for sleeping.

So I'm going to say there were no mood lights on the GA studio cabins. At least not that I saw. The room had light switches everywhere. A couple by the door, by the bed and near the tv. I could have easily missed it, felt like a scavenger hunt to turn the lights out lol.

Thanks! I don't want to sound like a weirdo for asking lighting questions, but do you know if you can control how many lights are on at the same time? Can you just have one or one or two at a time on, or all or nothing? I only ask because in a lot of the pictures and videos the studio cabins look lit up like Christmas trees, and if I'm in a room for too many hours with artificial bright lighting, it can trigger a migraine. I'm planning a 'resting and reading' cruise (sorely needed) as opposed to a full-of-activities cruise I recently took on Escape and would like to spend some time on some days reading in my cabin - but not if it means a possible migraine. Thanks.

Thanks! I don't want to sound like a weirdo for asking lighting questions, but do you know if you can control how many lights are on at the same time? Can you just have one or one or two at a time on, or all or nothing? I only ask because in a lot of the pictures and videos the studio cabins look lit up like Christmas trees, and if I'm in a room for too many hours with artificial bright lighting, it can trigger a migraine. I'm planning a 'resting and reading' cruise (sorely needed) as opposed to a full-of-activities cruise I recently took on Escape and would like to spend some time on some days reading in my cabin - but not if it means a possible migraine. Thanks.

I have eye problems that make me light sensitive. You can definitely adjust things nicely.

There are so many switches and potential combos I'm sure I missed some.

--switches by front door

--switches by bed

--switch to the left of the television (inside the tv recessed area).

One trick I liked is to turn on the light that comes over the sink (and one other place, I think), but then open your closet door so it blocks the sink light. It leaves you with just one light (I think the one over the television.)

I believe there is also one set of lights that is JUST the shower and bathroom. Turn everything else off and close the bathroom door. Voila.

It isn't weird to ask question. You do have control over all the lights in the room as far as on off goes but nothing has a dimmer. The headboard does have a little ?book nook? built into it and above that are to blue led buttons. Push them and you turn on two reading ligt for the bed. I used them most nights to highlight the daily for the next day. note the blue LED's are always on, They didn't bother me at all but a solo friend said they were to bright and annoying. If you want 100% dark bring a couple of sticky notes to paste over the buttons...

Side note the waterfront on deck 8 has several comfortable seating areas on both sides of the ship and makes for a great reading area.

Thanks for reading my review Zoey and I'm glad you are enjoying it.

Edited by Agentwho