Beach beds on Cococay

444cruiser

I am planning on booking (prepaying) for one of the new beach beds on the private island. Does anyone know if our money will be reimbursed if we miss the island due to weather. How about if we just decide not to use it?

Also, how is the water/beach where the beds are located? I understand they are on far side of the island. Anyone have experience snorkeling there? Thanks for any information!

We had the Bungalows right next to the Beach Beds on Coco Cay in Dec 2016.

The beach beds are are past the bungalows. If you want a quite place to just lounge and relax this is it. There is nothing else down this end of the island.

IMG_9474.jpg

Most of the water down that end of the island is very shallow - less than knee deep. There is a lot of sea grass in the water. As you walk along you can find an occasional sea cucumber, sand dollar, conch shell or sea urchin.

IMG_7749.jpg

I haven't been in all the water but from what I saw it's really low or in our case as the tide went out there was no water and just sea grass. This photo was taken as the tide was going out, still had a couple of hours to go before tide was at it's lowest.

IMG_9483.jpg

Here is a photo of the 'swim up bar' - the deepest it was when we were there was a little bit past our knees.

IMG_9473.jpg

The water closest to where the tender drops you off appears to be a little deeper where you may be able to swim or wade. The water also appeared to be wadeable where the buffet is. I didn't go in it but saw guest in the water in that area.

So if you think you will be able to swim or snorkel in front of you beach bed you may want to reconsider that idea. But if you are looking for a quite place to sit and relax then go for it.

Me again, I didn't want to leave you with a negative impression of Coco Cay.

December was our second visit to Coco Cay. The first time we went we just got off the tender, walked to the beach and took a spot under a tree. The water in that area was deep enough to wade in. We enjoyed walking along the shore in the water looking for sea life as stated above.

So this time when we heard RC expanded and now offered Bungalows and Beach Beds further down the island we grabbed one. It was really for the comfort of my 87 year old dad to sit on a couch vs trying to get out of a lounge chair. It's beautiful, quite and relaxing down that end of the island. That's it. There is a tram that will drop you off in the area or you can do the 10-15 minute walk. There is a rest room behind the bungalows and a bar that offers soda, beer and some drinks but does not have the mixers for speciality cocktails.

Around lunchtime an attendant came by with a limited menu and asked what we wanted for lunch. A food truck is placed behind the bungalows and she will go and get you your lunch. If you want he full buffet you must get back to the area where the tender dropped you off.

Overall for our family it was nice, especially that my dad was able to enjoy the day with us. The first time we went he stayed on the ship. The weather wasn't hot, so we weren't looking to cool off or go for a swim. Nor did we have children with us looking to swim in the water.

We will be going again in October 2017 and I will only get the bungalow if my dad wants to get off the ship. Other wise I will take a spot somewhere under a tree.

Enjoy your visit to Coco Cay!

• 2 months later...

Thank you for all of the detailed information! Around what time was it low tide? The picture of the bird and sea grass is beautiful but we really also wanted to swim. I was set on getting a bungalow but now am not so sure! Thank you for the additional information!