Majestic Grand Asia 8815 Visa requirement

Cruise lady 26

Hi

We have a 3 night hotel stay in Shanghai prior to boarding and have conflicting information around visa requirements for China. We are UK citizens and I think we are covered by 144 hr exemption but the UK Chinese Embassy page only mentions a 72 hr exemption. Anyone offer any clarity please? Travel agent has no clue and we won't be using them again. Thank you

We did the 3rd Leg of Majestic's Maiden voyage to Shanghai. We did three entry to China- Hong Kong, Xiamen and Shanghai. The China Visa was US $151.00 for multiple entry and it's good for 10 years. Easy as that and I think they will charge UK visitors BPS $156.00. It took 7 days to get the Visas and not a worry after that. We'll probably go back in the future.

I think the mention of Hong Kong is a bit of red herring as neither US nor UK citizens need a visa to visit Hong Kong as a tourist for 90 days.

So for what you did you would have needed a 2 entry visa for China not a 3.

As I understand it as far as Shanghai is concerned its a special case and if you arrive by air you can stay 144 hours from midnight after you arrive, so its longer in fact than 144 hours, without a visa.

And then you can leave by cruise ship at the port of Shanghai.

6 Steps to Apply for 144-Hour Visa-Free Transit:

1. Inform the carrier when boarding

2. Fill in an Arrival/Departure Card.

3. Find the 144-hour visa-free counter at the immigration inspection area when you arrive at Shanghai Airport to apply for the stay permit, which will be stamped on your passport indicating the allowed stay time.

4. Claim the luggage

5. Go through the customs

6. Leave the airport

• 1 month later...
Hi

We have a 3 night hotel stay in Shanghai prior to boarding and have conflicting information around visa requirements for China. We are UK citizens and I think we are covered by 144 hr exemption but the UK Chinese Embassy page only mentions a 72 hr exemption. Anyone offer any clarity please? Travel agent has no clue and we won't be using them again. Thank you

Hi, we are UK citizens and we are having the same concerns and problems - have you completed your cruise yet and if so did you get a full Chinese entry visa? The 144hrs Transit Without Visa policy was introduced in Jan 2016 and is acknowledged by Princess Cruise line and the UK Foreign and Commonwealth Office but not the

Chinese Embassy Visa department.

We are boarding in Singapore and disembarking in Shanghai and our problem is that Princess Cruise will not give an unequivocal assurance that we would be permitted to board in Singapore without a full Chinese entry visa - even though all their guidance details what you must comply with in respect of 144 hrs policy. Like you, the travel agent will only stick to the party line

and they will only advise a full entry visa at a cost of £378 because

the UK Chinese visa department only acknowledge the 72hrs policy which is not relevant to our situation