windstar 3/4/06 tours etc.

bl413

After searching many different postings-- I contacted Coach Costa Rica.

They've been great, helping us plan and transport us to and from boat to hotel etc etc and boat to Arenal area after cruise. Anyone wanting more info --just ask. Don't know$$$ yet.

Happy and Healthy New Year

Barbara

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

We're planning on taking this cruise as well, although we aren't confirmed yet. I would love to get whatever information you've obtained.

From what I can see, Windstar's excursion prices seem pretty high. I'm used to Radisson Seven Seas excursions, which are very fairly priced, and these seem outrageous in comparison. Have you researched any private excursions or guides?

LeeAnne

Please see my review. We have just returned from the Windstar Costa Rica.

I cannot speak highly enough about Coach Costa Rica. We were picked up the pier, they drove us to San Jose, arranged a tour and guide of the University of Costa Rica, and took us to an authentic Costa Rican restaurant before taking us to the airport. The van was huge, new and well-airconditioned. Our guide, Juan Carlos, was completely bilingual and very personable. Their service covers the entire country.

Many excursions could be arranged separately through them or others. Steve, our on ship host, was not very knowledgable about the excursions. He has just been moved to the Wind Spirit. I don't know if his replacement is better informed.

The Lonely Planet guidebook was especially helpful in planning outside excursions.

Hope this helps.

Beth

After searching many different postings-- I contacted Coach Costa Rica.

They've been great, helping us plan and transport us to and from boat to hotel etc etc and boat to Arenal area after cruise. Anyone wanting more info --just ask. Don't know$$$ yet.

Happy and Healthy New Year

Barbara

Barbara,

Where are you staying in Arenal? We're booked into the Observatory Lodge. Coach Costa Rica quoted me $150 for the trip to Arenal from Puerto Caldera. I am still waiting for their quote on getting us to the port from Alajuela. The night before the cruise we're staying at Vista del Valle Plantation, which is recommended by Frommers, although I'm a little sorry we didn't book the Peace Lodge.

The more I read about things to see in Costa Rica, the more I want to do land-based things. I guess we'll have to go back. :)

Kim

Well as you can see from my other postings, we booked today. We're fortunate in that we don't have to worry about transportation, or pre- or post-cruise activities. Our friends who live in Costa Rica are going to take care of us while on land. So now all I have to do is figure out what to do in the ports.

Barbara, I saw you were signed up on the Roll Call here. I signed up as well. Let's plan on saying hello on board!

LeeAnne

Sorry, I LOST MY LOG IN INFO (Changed computers). I was bl413. Cruise critic didn't get back to me with old info--so started a new one.

Anyhow, to answer your questions.

1. We are staying at the Arenal Paraiso Hotel. We wanted to stay at

the Observatory, but couldn't get the room we wanted.

2. Upon arrival 3/3 we're at the Grano de Oro

3. Upon return 3/11 we're at The Xandari Resort & Spa --looks fantastic!

We've hired Coach Costa Rica on the 3rd - to take us from airport to hotel and tour San Jose.

On the 4th -go to La Paz, then to ship.

They will also pick us up on the 11th at the ship and take us to the Arenal area-take us on excursion to hanging bridges, hot springs and some other things

On the 12th- bring us back to Xandari, with stops along the way.

Pick us up on the 13th and bring us to the airport.

I am so ready to go!

We're thinking of using them for shore excursions from the boat too. Anyone interested in joining us!

Barbara

Hi Barbara & Kim!

I'm so ready to go too -- except for this extra 15 lbs, which has to go first. ;)

Your pre/post cruise plans sound wonderful. We're not sure yet exactly what all we'll be doing -- our friends who live there are putting together an itinerary, and they'll be playing tour guide for us. A few years ago after their kids grew up and they retired, they chucked it all and moved down there to a home in the mountains about 45 min. away from Puerto Caldera, and about an hour away from San Jose. They absolutely love it there, and are eager to show us around.

As for shore excursions, we're considering the Granada/volcano excursion in Nicaragua, and the zip-line tour out of Playas del Coco. Other than that, we have no idea. Barbara, we may be interested in joining you on private excursions -- let me know what you're looking at, and we'll check it out.

This is coming up FAST! Yeesh, better get going on that diet... :D

LeeAnne

How far is La Paz from Grano de Oro, and then how far from Puerto Caldera? I'm wanting to do this too, before heading for the ship, but I don't have a sense of how far (or given the roads, how long) various places are from one another. I know by staying at Vista Del Valle we cut around a half hour from the trip to the port and it's in Alajuela, close to the airport. La Paz looks like it's out of the way. Did Coach Costa Rica give you a sense of it?

Our hotel in Alajuela can arrange a car to Puerto Caldera for $85. I'm not sure if we get a guide, with stops to look around or if it's just some guy with a car who's going to drive us. I don't know if there's much to see on the way to port anyway.

Kim

If you'd like, I can email your questions to my friends who live in Costa Rica. If you phrase them in a way that will make sense to people who live there, I'm sure they can help out. Let me know what you want me to ask them, and I'l be happy to do it!

LeeAnne

Kim/Leanne

I think La Paz is about 45-60 min. from San Jose.

I haven't heard back yet from Coach re excurions -- but they're pretty good

about getting back.

We'd be intersted in the same type of excursions ( I'm working on my fear of heights and swinging from trees!

Barbara

Okay, I received our itinerary from our friends, and we'll be visiting some great places. They live in Orotina (in Alajuela province), which is about 45 min. from Puerto Caldera. Prior to the cruise we're going to just spend the time locally with them, although we'll go into Tarcoles to their favorite seafood restaurant one night. Post-cruise they're taking us to Hotel Vista del Golfo in Miramar, where they have the longest zip-line canopy tour in CR, as well as horseback tours. So we're going to do the zip-line there, rather than through the ship excursion at Playa del Coco.

The next day we're visiting Poas Volcano in the morning and La Paz Waterfall Gardens.

Barbara, I'm still interested in what Coach CR comes back to you with as far as excursions. At this point the only ship excursion we're planning on doing is the one in Nicaragua to Granada/volcano.

LeeAnne

Archived