Cruise weather in August?

karner01

Is it advisable to cruise the end of August? I know it's hurricane season, but looking to do a Western Caribbean itineray...would you chance it and buy insurance? Thanks for any insight, Karen

Hi:

I have cruised a couple of times in late Aug. & early Sept. and am going again 8/29 to the southern Caribbean. For me there is no bad time to cruise and even if a hurricane were to threaten one of the islands, the ship would divert or go out to sea. So you would either get an extra sea day or perhaps see an unexpected island. As far as insurance is concerned, I always get it. It's well worth the extra 50-60pp as opposed to losing the cost of your entire trip.

Sandi

Cruiselines rarely cancel cruises because of hurricanes. My last few cruises were during hurricane season. Very cheap prices. Last cruise sailed between Kyle and Lily. If you can go witht he flow its well worth it.

I dont think you can cash in on your insurance policy because of weather. Anyone??

Going NOWHERE

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=000080&cdt=2004;10;22;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Miracle, February 13, 2005

Legend, October 22,2004

Voyager August 31,2003

Victory September 22,2002

Regal Empress,June 2001

Sensation,August 2000

Some resorts will give you a free vacation because of a hurricane. But a ship is a lot more mobile. All cruise lines reserve the right to substitute/miss ports, and hurricanes is just one of the reasons. So a hurricane might reroute you, but I think I would forget about collecting from the insurance due to a hurricane.

On the other hand the rates may be a little lower because people are wary. But it's still part of school vacation, and plenty of people are looking to cruise. I haven't checked, but September may give you lower rates since school is back in session.

1/1990 - RCCL Song of America

4/13/2003 - Carnival Inspiration

10/30/2004 - Maasdam

our first cruise was in August to the Caribbean and the weather was hot and no hurricanes. Just make sure to get the insurance.

In the event of a hurricane, the ship will either postpone the cruise and refund you the money or change the itinerary to avoid the hurricane.

Brilliance of the Seas 06/17/05

Enchantment of the Seas, RCCL, 11/01 - Eastern Caribbean

Tropicale, Carnival 08/99 - Western Caribbean

Archived