Bringing alcohol on board ship

jbeeg

I am traveling on Celebrity Mercury June 18. Does anyone know about bringing on alcohol or wine for consumption in the room?

either legally or sneaking?

Thanks

Jane

Nitemare is correct, check the specific cruise line's policy. Most do not allow "outside" alcohol either from home or purchased at ports. Some, like Carnival, allow a single bottle of wine or champagne for embarkation but forbid its consumption in public areas.

My sister-in-law and her husband normally empty out water bottles and put vodka in it so they can order free orange juice and make screw drivers. No one has ever checked the bottled water or fruit juice they bring on board. Personally, we enjoy the pretty little drinks with the umbrellas. But to each his own.We bring bottled waters and colas along in our luggage for every cruise since none of the cruises have Dr. Peppers. We have never been bothered about it. So if you wanted to you could easily switch out water for alcohol or juice for wine if you wanted to. But if you bring bottles of alcohol in your luggage it can be confiscated. And if you buy bottles of alcohol on board they won't let you have it until the end of the cruise. Their main revenue is from alcoholic beverages and gambling. But as for us, we don't drink much and kind of like the drinks with the pretty little umbrellas.

We sailed the Mercury last May in Alaska. Absolutely no problems bringing my trusty Jim Beam (plastic bottle placed in large zip-loc bag) aboard via checked luggage. I stopped in town and got a 12-pack of coke and brought that in my carry-on...it was happy sailing after that. Only problem was, in Vacouver, the coke costs almost as much as the Jim Beam!

Enjoy! -Tracy

RCCL Enchantment of the Seas - W. Caribbean (6/00)

Celebrity Mercury - Alaska (5/03)

RCCL Jewel of the Seas - N. Europe (6/04)

Archived