Passports required on Barbados and any other islands?

SISSY III

Got a E-mail from Travel & Liesure telling me Barbados requires a passport to enter, is there any other Caribbean Islands requiring a passport?... I really don't want to purchase one for my husband, as I don't think he'll ever have a use for one, I don't think he'll ever go to Europe with me.
And the fee for Passport is a little pricy just to use once. I know my Cruise Critic "board members" will have the info, (they always do) I guess I rely on you guys and you have never failed me yet!!

The only time you will need a passport for Barbados is if you're flying into or out of Barbados for a cruise or if you're taking a land vacation in Barbados. Cruise passengers are exempt from passports unless your cruise starts or ends in Barbados. Costa Rica is the same and they now require passports.

Darcie

Hi:

Just read on the port of call board that Barbados does require a passport for all visitors. I would be willing to bet you more islands will be requiring the same especially with the problems around the world right now. I personally believe that everyone should have a passport. Yes it may cost you about $90 or so to get it, but they are good for ten years. Lets face it, they are much more durable than the paper birth certificates and as I said before, you are going to see more and more places requiring them.

Hi: I was one of those people who chose to use just a birth certificate, but then by DH and I decided to get passports and I cannot began to tell you how fast you go through airline checkin,customs, and security. I could not believe it. It may cost you at first but in the long haul it saves plenty of time. I agree with the above posters in that I think more and more countries will require passports. I HIGHLY recommend it.

Marilyn

Just to reaffirm, Kitty and happy cruiser are correct, a passport is not required for cruise passengers in Barbados. There was a thread a while back where it stated it was required but as stated the government in Barbados relented a short period of time later and dropped the requirement for cruise passengers.

That being said, it is a good idea to have a passport anyway.

Don

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SISSY III:
Got a E-mail from Travel & Liesure telling me Barbados requires a passport to enter, is there any other Caribbean Islands requiring a passport?... I really don't want to purchase one for my husband, as I don't think he'll ever have a use for one, I don't think he'll ever go to Europe with me.
And the fee for Passport is a little pricy just to use once. I know my Cruise Critic "board members" will have the info, (they always do) I guess I rely on you guys and you have never failed me yet!!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Sissy,
You are not very specific about Barbados, if you are there on a cruise or land vacation....and the requirements for passport would be different.
I found this older post by Host Walt that explains more in detail about passports in Barbados and I will paste it below:

Host Walt

Administrator
posted 02-12-04 11:00 AM
February 11, 2004

Re: Barbados’ Change in Entry Requirements: Clarification as it relates to Cruise Passengers

In reference Barbados’ new passport regulations which will require all US and Canadian citizens entering Barbados to be in possession of a valid passport effective March 1, 2004, the Chief Immigration Officer has provided some clarification as to its relevance to cruise passengers. Please be advised accordingly that there is little change to current practice as it relates to cruise passengers as outlined below:

1. “Only those cruise passengers who are disembarking at Barbados are processed by Immigration and therefore are required to be in possession of a valid passport.

2. Cruise passengers who are “intransit” to join flights at the Grantley Adams International Airport are required to be in possession of a valid passport.

3. All other passengers who are continuing the cruise are treated as “in-transit passengers” and consequently not subject to immigration control. Such passengers are permitted to go ashore and return to their vessel without hindrance using their ship’s magnetic identity card.

4. Cruises to the region which commence and end at Puerto Rico or any U.S. Port rarely have passengers disembarking before the itinerary ends. Consequently the only US and Canadian passengers who would be affected by the new passport arrangement would be those persons whose cruise ends in Barbados.”

To reiterate, the new legislation will not affect a significant number of passengers simply those persons who are either embarking or disembarking their cruise in Barbados. Indeed officers at the ports of entry will continue to work closely with the ships’ representatives and to use their discretion where unusual circumstances and emergencies so demand.

Sincerely,

Julie-Anne Burrowes
Director, Cruise
Posts: 3061 | From: Tarzana (San Fernando Valley), CA | Registered

OK, there is a lot more explanation above but consider one more thing: what happens if you are on a cruise "in transit" going through Barbados but for some reason you missed the 'boat'..........I bet passport would be very helpful.

Wes

I just knew the "board" members would come thru for me again!! I'm sorry for not being as specific as I should have been, yes I meant passing thru on cruise ships.
I'm hearing more and more, that a passport will be required, and I personally think its a good idea, but as for the DH (he's a different story, usually doesn't believe a thing I tell him, you know the kind) maybe is I show him YOUR responses he'll become a believer.
Again thank you, you ALWAYS come thru for me when I'm not sure what to do, it is comforting that I have the "board members" to give me the benefit of their experience.

Archived