San Diego Zoo or Sea World

daytrippertm

Hi,

I have never been to San Diego and I am taking my 7 y/o son on a 4 day cruise on the Monarch of the Seas May 10th. Does anyone have an opinion on what would be better: San Diego Zoo or Sea World. I know the zoo is world renouned but what about whales jumping out of the water? I will only have time for one excursion. Thanks for your help.

Terry

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;5;10;19;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

5/10 Monarch of the Seas

Hi Terry,

Sea World is Sea animals, the Zoo is mainly land animals. You'll have to decide what you would really like to see. They are both great places to visit and you are right about being able to see only one in a day.

In May we get what we call June gloom (Overcast skies looking like rain). Don't let that stop you from going to either place. It will more than likely not rain.

No mater what one you pick it will be great for both you and your son. Enjoy your visit to San Diego.

Ken & Mary

kenmary65-cc@yahoo.com

San Diego Ambassador volunteer

http://www.sdambassador.com

4/3 Ryndam

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ffd700&cdt=2004;4;3;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

I've lived in San Diego County my whole life, and still enjoy going to both the zoo and Sea World. I think though if I were you (depending on if you have a zoo where you live, or close by) I'd choose to go to Sea World. Check out www.seaworld.com and click on San Diego and it will tell you all the shows, rides, and attractions that Sea World offers. However, as a zoological member, the zoo is great too. You can't go wrong going to either one. I just think that the Sea World experience might be a little more "different" for your son to experience. You'll enjoy it as well.

Granted, it is completely up to you as to what animals your son prefers but as I have been to both the places I would go for San Diego Zoo. Like I said ask your son what animals he likes.

Marilyn

We were disappointed in the San Diego Zoo. I guess I was expecting something more like the Animal Kingdom at WDW where the animals are not in cages, or at least not in small cages. I would go with Sea World. We didn't visit the one in San Diego, but have been to Sea World in Orlando many times. My son loves Sea World, but didn't really care for the zoo.

Norwegian Sun 3/26/2005

Thanks for the replies!

I do take my son every year to the San Francisco zoo and even though I have heard there is no comparison the the SD Zoo, I think Sea World would be a nice change for him.

I really appreciate everyone's input to help me decide. This went so well, I'm going to add more posts for Catalina and Ensenada, too.

Thanks again.

Terry

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;5;10;19;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

5/10 Monarch of the Seas

Sea World!!!! And if you want other animals instead, the Wild Animal Park is AWESOME, more so than the zoo. Owned by the same people as the zoo and it is 4 times larger! It is great!

Diamond Princess Sept 2004

Queen Mary 2 Inaugural 4/2004

NCL Sun June 2003

NCL Sun April 2003

RCCL Radiance Sept 2002

HAL Ryndam May 2002

RCCL Vision Sept 2000

I would recommend the Wild Animal Park over either the zoo or Sea World. It is an experience that is completely unique.

The SD Zoo is certainly worth visiting, but frankly it is very similar to any other metropolitan zoo, just on a larger scale and with some very unique animals.

To me Sea World has a very theme park type feel to it. It is very commercialized and there is a lot of waiting in line for shows/rides etc. That said, it is well worth visiting and we had a great time there.

Next Cruise: 6/27/04 Sapphire Princess

Sea World is 6 to 7 miles from the pier.

The Zoo is about 4 miles.

The Wild Animal Park is 32 to 36 miles from the pier.

A number 7 bus will get you to the Zoo. 17 min.

Take the trolley to Old Town then the number 9 to Sea World. 41 Min.

Rent a car for the Wild Animal Park. Since you are in port for a short time you may be spending all your time getting a car and driving. Better to go with the ship's tour for this one.

If your going to the Zoo you could go by bus. Check what the ship's tour would cost and compare to what bus fare and Zoo admission would be to see if you would save enough to go that way. Remember; when you are not on a ship's tour they will not wait for you if you are late getting back to the ship.

Zoo / Wild Animal Park

Sea World or the Wild Animal Park would be better by ship's tour.

Sea World

Ken & Mary

kenmary65-cc@yahoo.com

San Diego Ambassador volunteer

http://www.sdambassador.com

4/3 Ryndam

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ffd700&cdt=2004;4;3;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

• 4 weeks later...

HI, not sure you'll get this or not. But I've been to San Diego Zoo and it's my choice. Can't go wrong. It's terrific.

I'm from Michigan and would go again in a heartbeat if I could get cheap airfare and hotels!!

I'm looking a poster I had framed from the SD Zoo right now as I type. Cost me $10 for the poster and $80- to get it dry mounted and framed!! Something to think about when buying posters!!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;05;20;7;30;00&timezone=GMT-0500

It's VACATION TIME for the ANDERSON'S!!

Archived