What hotel did you stay in Manhattan?

CRUZFOOLS

We will be cruising out of New York next September and wanted to know where you stayed. We are a group of 8, which would require us to stay in 2 rooms. I would really want to be in the center of things as we are going 2 days before to see the sights. I'm really not looking for the priciest as we will just be sleeping there.

I just got back from NYC in March, and we stayed at the Hampton Inn on 8th. It is 1 block over from The Gershwin Theatre and the Winter Garden Theatre. If you walk 1 block straight out of the front doors then turn right, you are only about 5 blocks from the center of times square. The rooms were very nice. The hotel was just renovated in 2005. It's also within walking distance to Rockafellar Center and the Today show. I thought it was the perfect location. I took a group of students, and every room we had had a window with a view of the lights and stuff. I have stayed at the Holiday Inn on 7th and I think... 32nd. Anyway, the room was VERY small and the toilet ran all night long. They never fixed it. Our window looked onto a brick wall that I could touch while sticking my arm out of the window. Hope this helps. You can look at the Hampton Inn online at www.hamptoninn.com It's the Times Square North location.

Hi,

I just got back from NY with my husband and two teenagers. I highly recommend the Casablanca Hotel, 147 43rd St. Only 1/2 block from the center of Times Square but an absolute oasis. Very quiet, clean and with an extremely helpful staff. We had a suite, which was a bedroom with 2 double beds and a separate small living room with a fold out sofa bed. Best thing was the free breakfast and snacks and drinks available all day long in the large, comfortable common lounge on the 2nd floor. Check them out on www.tripadvisor.com. Just look through NY hotels or type in Casablanca Hotel and you can read some great reviews. We did spend about $370 per night but that was for four with breakfast and NY is Expensive! Check it out and let me know if you have any questions.

KathiB

we are going to stay at the Best Western Hospitality which is one block from the Waldorf Astoria. We picked this one because it actually has beds bigger than double... gesh... what is it with NY hotels with double beds. Can't even imagine trying to sleep in that with my hubbie. We are staying in a 2 bedroom suite which has a king in one room, a double and queen in another and a futon couch in the living room. It has a seperate kitchen that is stocked with breakfast supplies. It has gotten good reviews from trip advisor. We are looking forward to it.

I guess it was just wishful thinking as I checked the website and it looks like it's non-smoking. There are 2 in our group that smoke so we'll have to keep looking.

Manhattan has really cracked down on the non smoking thing.

I would reconsider the Best Western Hospitality House especially since you are trying to fit four in a room.

Unlike other cities, Manhattan hotel rooms are tiny and one bed in a room is the norm. Most if not all hotels charge more for two doubles/queens than one bed in a room.

As a former smoker, NYC is a tough place to be a smoker. Can't smoke indoors for the most part and outdoor spaces are now regulated. Can't smoke right outside the front doors of buildings.

I have stayed twice at the Hotel Edison. Located right at Time Square and many theatres. It is an old hotel with lots of character. Rooms were clean and price was good both times. We walked all over from there. Hop on Hop Off Double Decker Tour Bus Tickets were sold right at the hotel and stop was at the corner.

I'll check on these also. Thanks! I'm kind of at a loss on what area to stay in. I was told midtown like between 35th & 50th. Does this sound reasonable? How far can I go west but still be in a safe walkable area?

I'll check on these also. Thanks! I'm kind of at a loss on what area to stay in. I was told midtown like between 35th & 50th. Does this sound reasonable? How far can I go west but still be in a safe walkable area?

You can walk as far west as you like.

Truth is, as you go far west you'll end up in area's that may seem seedy and filled with garages and light industry and business's you'll have no interest in (car repairs, taxi garages, etc). I would avoid these areas at night on foot, however, you would have no reason to go there. There are a few hotels very far west, like 11th and 12th aves in midtown. I would stay clear of them. It's too desolate at night.

35th to 50th Streets are fine but too narrow in scope IMHO. There is a nice hotel on E. 34th Street (Affinia Dumont Plaza) which I would advise considering. And the Chelsea Savoy on W. 23rd Street and 7th Ave is a fabulous location. The East 60's is one of the most expensive area's of the city - chic and safe - so don't negate it. (Regency, Lowell) Also, there are some terrific hotels in the Village and Soho (Soho Grand, Tribeca Grand, Gansevoort, The Mercer, The Thom) but they are probably not in your budget. They're all high priced unless you happen to find a great deal somehow.

Well, this hotel is in Lower Manhattan, not Midtown, but all are suites which will accommodate more people. The hotel gets mostly rave reviews. Happy hour and breakfast are included and, imho, the rates are very reasonable for Manhattan.

Just remember, a taxi will take you wherever you choose. Good luck with your decision. ;)

http://www.embassysuites.com/en/es/hotels/index.jhtml?ctyhocn=NYCNYES

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60763-d208452-Reviews-Embassy_Suites_Hotel_New_York_City-New_York_City_New_York.html

http://www.hiltonfamilynewyork.com/embassy-suites-hotel-new-york-city.php

If you're traveling with children:

http://travelwithkids.about.com/od/newyork/ss/embassysuitesNY_7.htm

I've stayed in dozens of hotels in Manhattan and here are a few which will fit your group.

Salisbury Hotel

The Affina Group (Benjamin, Affina Dumont, Shelburne Murray Hill, Surrey, etc)

Carnegie Suites

Keep in mind that Labor Day thru New Years Day is peak season in Manhattan and hotel prices will average over $200 per night for a room that only sleeps two people.

• 2 weeks later...

I have stayed at the New Yorker Hotel which is located at the rear of Madison Square Garden & Penn Station. Its spic & span and I had 2 double beds and 2 full baths, and couch so the room was huge for $125 in September last year. The Tick Tock Diner is attached and the food was outstanding now when ever I go into the city I go there for breakfast or lunch can't beat it.

• 2 weeks later...

Myra, I don't think there is anything such as a smoking room in NYC anymore. No smoking in public places. Period. Nada. Nothing. No bars, no restaurants, no offices. Not even private clubs. I'd suggest you get the smokers in your group some nicotine gum for the duration....Oh, and if the hotel thinks someone has smoked in the room there will be hefty cleaning charge tacked on to your bill.

You're saying that they do not allow it even in hotel rooms?

Not true, as long as it's designated as a smoking room, and they still exist in hotels all over the city. Smoking in public places, however, has been greatly restricted. There's an absolute ban in restaurants and--in theory--bars. I say "in theory" because it's a little like finding a drink during Prohibition--it's illegal, but not impossible; you just have to know the right bar, usually one with a secluded back garden. I don't really have a dog in this fight, being a lifelong non-smoker, but I do think that adults with a different opinion should be allowed to ingest the smoke from burning leaves, or tires, or any other damnfool thing they want as long as it doesn't inconvenience me, children or small animals.

DD and I stayed at the Radio City Apartments near Times Square (49th st?) last summer. The rates were good and the location was awesome.

When DH and I cruised out of NYC, we stayed at the Sheraton Suites in Weehawken, NJ on the river. We took a water taxi into the city, grabbed a cab, and were at the cruise terminal within a few minutes.

Archived