How to get a great VETERAN recognized during our cruise?

Jolimont

Great-grandpa is coming on this cruise with us. He's 87yo, in good health and very "with it". The last time he was on a ship, he captained it, so we are really excited that he'll be going from a WWII mine-sweeper to the Diamond! My question is, is there any way to get this old veteran recognized during the cruise? I'd love for him to meet the captain, maybe get a quick tour of the bridge, whatever we can get we would love. He didn't ask for this, I'm the one asking because he's an awesome person and it would be a great thing to have him honored in that way. A few days ago he showed me the brown and beige flag he still has from his navy days that mean "Captain on board", so he's excited about this upcoming cruise! Any suggestions as to who I should talk to?

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=8b0000&cdt=2004;5;22;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Diamond Princess HERE WE COME! Alaska has never been so cool! 5/22/04

May 31, 2003 Carnival Triumph to Western Caribbean.

Depending on when your cruise is, you can try calling Princess directly. Or, when onboard, you might try to talk with the cruise director... usualy, on the first night, there is the "welcome aboard show" and the CD is available at the end of that show. Well, that's what happened to us on our last cruise. We met him and we had many surprises during our stay on the Coral Princess... including a visit to the bridge.

Hope this can help. Good luck !

Alain R.

---------- *** ---------- *** ---------- *** ---------- *** ----------

Want to see some pictures from our cruises ?

Just go to:

Alain & Linda cruises pictures

... and enjoy !

---------- *** ---------- *** ---------- *** ---------- *** ----------

March 20, 2005 -> Dawn Princess

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=191970&cdt=2005;3;20;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

1995 - Regal Princess (Eastern Carrib)

2000 - Sea Princess (Western Carrib)

2002 - Dawn Princess (Southern Carrib)

2004 - Coral Princess (Panama canal)

2005 - Dawn Princess (Southern Carrib Meddley)

"Stars are brighter when you look at them from sea !"

We were celebrating 25 yr anniversary and our TA let them know when he booked it. On the day of our anniversary we had three gold balloons taped to our door and a poster that said "happy anniversary" They are very accommodating on the Diamond. Talk to STU - he's the entertainment director. They do give tours to Elite passengers and I'll bet if you let them know they will let him be a part of it.

A couple of years ago, my teenage son was scheduled to sail aboard the Soren Larson as part of a school expedition to Fiji (where he was also going to participate in a community project on one of the islands). Obviously the 'tallship' experience was going to be vastly different to his time spent on our cruise... one could say chalk and cheese!! Anyway, before departing on our cruise we wrote a letter (marked for the attention of the Captain) asking whether it would be possible for my son to visit the bridge at some point during our holiday. We stored the letter in our hand luggage and on boarding handed it into reception for onward transmission to the Captain. A day or so later we had a lovely letter back with a suggested date and time to meet, saying the Captain and officers would love to meet my son.

I suggest you do the same, write a letter explaining your Great-grandpa will be onboard. Take it with you and hand it in as we did. Good luck. That said how can they refuse... your Great-grandpa sounds a wonderful character. Have a wonderful time.

Laura

Just this last month while on the Coral, we presented a letter to the Captain via the pursers office on the first day of sailing for a visit to the bridge. You can do the same thing asking if they would take your grandfather on a tour of the bridge or whatever else you want to do. A few days later we found an invitation in our mail box inviting us to see the bridge. We were there with the people who celebrated wedding anniversaries. It does not hurt to ask.

Marilyn

He can be a celebrity on our Pacific Theatre 24 day cruise on the Pacific Princess, starting May 17th to the WWII battle grounds of the Pacific. I expect of see a sizeable group of navy vets so he would have a command of his own.

John

Archived