Is Waikiki the wrong direction?

billie5

I hate to start a whole new thread for a fairly simple question. Or at least I think it is simple.

Following an evening arrival at HNL airport, I would like to overnight at a hotel on Waikiki beach the evening before departure, but I don't know the relative locations of the airport, port and beach. Would I be going in the wrong direction if I go to Waikiki to overnight, and then have to take a taxi to the port? Would it make more sense to stay near the airport?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Virginia Bill

As a matter of fact, you land at HNL and either take a taxi or hotel shuttle from the airport to Waikiki. On the way in, you will pass by Aloha Tower and the passenger terminal on the right. Another eight to ten minutes and you are at the Hawaiian Village or the Ilikai which are the closest to the port. Very easy to get around. If you are able, arrive a day or two early so you can see the Pali and the windward side over by Kaneohe, Kailua and Lani Kai. Fantastic, uncrowded beaches - lots of sailboarders.

The AlaMoana Mall in Honolulu is quite a shopper's paradise too. The Pearl Harbor Tour is worth taking if you have the time. It leaves a block away from the cruise passenger terminal. Enjoy the trip!!

We stayed in Waikiki both pre- and post- cruise and loved every minute of it. The port is only about 10-15 minutes driving time from Waikiki depending on time of day and day of week. Definitely get there a day or two early if nothing else to get acclimatized to the time zone...it was brutal coming from FLA that first day and trying to stay awake as long as possible (only made it until 6pm local time and was back up at 4am local time the next day).

It was not a cruising vacation but we stayed at the Marina area at the Prince hotel. It would be one of the closest to head back to the cruise terminal. This is a beautiful hotel and often available on Hotwire for a reasonable price. It is in the district called waterfront and has views of the marina. There is no beach in this area (but you can walk to it in less that 5 min). All rooms have ocean view and looking at the yachts out the window was really fun. It is usually listed as a customer favorite and is waterfront but not beachfront. Check out betterbidding.com for more information on hotwire hotels.

No matter how far it is (or isn't) it would be nicer to stay in a Waikiki area hotel. The atmosphere around Waikiki at night is so much fun.

And the airport hotels are absolute dives.....PLEASE at all costs, do not stay there.

Is the Hilton Hawaiian Village considered to be on Waikiki Beach or is it further down? Sometimes it is hard to tell looking at a map. Also is it to far to walk from the Hilton to the Royal Hawaiian or the International Market Place?

Ginger

It's considered to be on Waikiki Beach though some would argue that it's technically Fort DeRussy Beach. It's a bit of a walk to get to Royal Hawaiian or International Marketplace since the HHV is so big in and of itself. Royal Hawaiian is probably about a 15-20 minute walk (from entrance of HHV) - International Marketplace is about 30 minutes.

Spleen

Definitely stay in Waikiki. It is about a fifteen minute cab ride to the port. We were there in April. We took a cab from the port to the Hilton Hawaiian Village (more on that in a moment) and then walked back to the pier later in the day. I'd say it's about 3 miles from the pier.

We stayed at the Hilton Hawaiian Village previously and really enjoyed it and went back just to see what it was still like. It's a very nice place to stay at. It's on the larger end with several towers to choose from, but it has lots to do right there and of course a wonderful beach. Nice place to stay for a couple of days before a cruise.

Keith

Archived