Where to get foreign money?

pampaul

I am an avid scrapbooker heading to the Bahamas and Bermuda for the first time. I would love to collect some coins and paper money from each port. May be a dumb question, but how do I come to get my hands on some of their money without going to a bank? Do I just go to a vendor and ask for an exchange?

• 2 weeks later...

Not a dumb question. I actually did this on one of my first cruises many years ago. In Nasauu there are several banks really near the cruise ship docks, you actually have to pass by at least one of them to get to the shopping street. If it is a week day you can just go in and ask for an exchange.

This brings back a memories. When I did this it was right when the modern cruise ship industry was starting in the late seventies/early eighties, so downtown Nasauu was more of a business district than the tourist district it is now. I remember standing in line at the bank, not knowing exactly what denominations of bills and coins to ask for and what they are called. I am a fairly shy person, but managed to get the words "pardon me" out to a lady in front of me. She very nicely answered my questions about the money among other things.

I am an avid scrapbooker heading to the Bahamas and Bermuda for the first time. I would love to collect some coins and paper money from each port. May be a dumb question, but how do I come to get my hands on some of their money without going to a bank? Do I just go to a vendor and ask for an exchange?

If there is a bank handy - go there - you will probably find bills in better condition and a larger selection of coins. Depending on the exchange rate - I would say - Can you exchange $5.00 into a small denomination bill and some coins

I collect native money in all the ports i have been to, when i buy something i just ask for the change back in their money, i have never had a problem, with anyone not wanting to give it to me or not having it.

We do the exact same thing. During a purchase, we generally ask that our US $ be exchanged for their denomination. Retailers are generally very honest and it saves you valuable time not having to look for a bank. Some countries will only give you change in their monetary unit.

Archived