Colon 2000 Tax Free Zone

irontree

Going To Panama On Liberty In January

Would Like Any Info On Tax Zone Is It Accesable Can I Just Go And Shop Or Should We Go With Cab Driver

Colon is a dump and very dangerous. Seriously. We were there in Oct. I would only go on a ship sponsored excursion. Some others went to the free trade zone and said it was just a big empty warehous type of deal. You cant actually buy goods there. There are a few shops at the pier and that is about it. Hope this helps.

I was in Colon in 2001 and some of my friends went to the free trade zone. They thought they were going to be killed before they got out of there. They could not buy anything because nobody would sell to them.

Colon is not a place to sightsee by foot. If you do any research on Colon, you will find it's not "If you get mugged, but when you get mugged". It has to be the dirtiest, filthiest dump I have ever been to, and I've been to some pretty seedy places.

Book something to see the country of Panama, either through the ship or independently. Panama is actually a beautiful country with lots of history to see.

We walked to the Free Trade Zone in Colon in January 2005 on our Legend cruise. We really enjoyed it. The place is vast, the shopkeepers friendly but we did find a language barrier in some shops. We found vendors eager to sell to us and no one tried to mug us. :rolleyes:

Colon isn't a beautiful place but we didn't find it dangerous either. I would recommend using standard precautions one would use in any strange city and you should be just fine.

Colon is a dangerous place. The walk to the duty free zone is probably the safest area and it's NOT guaranteed. Go on the ship sponsored excursions. BE VERY AWARE if you venture outside the vendor area on foot *PLEASE*. Go in a groupif you must, there is safety in numbers. Also be careful of the cab scams.

FF

HAS ANYONE DONE ANY SHOPPING THERE AND WHAT TYPE OF GOODS CAN YOU FINDE eg. PERFUME JEWLERY CLOTHING?

You can find nearly anything. Clothing, Perfume, Watches, Jewelry, Sporting Goods, Electronics, Shoes.....Anything.

You will also find alot of shops in the tourist village at the pier including a large Super Market.

According to our tour guide, the Duty Free Zone is really meant for wholesale buying, not retail. Since it is a duty free zone, you are not supposed to carry the items you buy out of there so you need to get them delivered to the ship or smuggle them out.

In addition, we were told that many electronic items like cameras do not come with warrantees.

As others have said, there is shopping in the tourist area across from the ship.

• 11 months later...

We walked to the Free Trade Zone in Colon it wasnt DANGEROUS at all its like any poor Central American city. Just be careful what you do . The prices are toooooo high 10 -15% above us retail. Yes you dont pay tax but save your money and go to the US to buy. Unless you have to pay more than 10-15 % sales tax in the US I dont know of any city with that high of tax.

One of my daughter's was just in the Free Trade Zone the other day while she and her husband are vacationing in Panama. He is a Panamanian citizen (but is a permanent resident in the U.S.) so he wasn't allowed into the Zone. My daughter went in while he waited at the entrance for her. She didn't feel afraid, but said that the merchandise was the usual touristy stuff and she didn't find anything worth buying. I won't waste my time going there when I'm in Panama next year if we stop there.

Book something to see the country of Panama, either through the ship or independently. Panama is actually a beautiful country with lots of history to see.

Any suggestions for tours? We do not want the panama canal by ferry or rail tours.

Thanks!

Duty Free Zones are designated for wholesale import and export...not tourism.

We found the two shopping venues right on the cruise ship pier to be adequate for our needs...there is the air conditioned mall idea....and... what our cruise line excursion paper referred to as a "Flea Market"!! That flea market turned out to be where Panamanian artisans sell their goods. We found a huge selection of magnificant handcrafts and art. The weaving, baskets and jewlery made by an Embera Indian family was exceptional, (be aware that the Embera are not big on clothing...with the temperatures and humidity in Panama it seems to me that they are the only smart ones around....but the women are bare-breasted and that may offend some). Goods are reasonably priced and the artisans will bargain.

The warnings of danger outside the pier area are well founded according to the tour advisories we studied...and from what we were told there is nothing of interest in Colon anyway.

Have a great trip!

Archived