Packing Necklaces

KC_fn

I'm leaving in 10 days for my second cruise (yayyy!). I found this board a couple of weeks ago, and have been reading voraciously. Thank you all so much for your many helpful suggestions, especially on packing -- I've added many items to my list (shoe holder, duct tape) and deleted many others (half the clothes). I am going to go much lighter this time, thanks to you!

I do have one question that I know you can answer: How in the world do you pack necklaces without having a tangled mess when you arrive? Any help with this will be greatly appreciated!

Straws...

Get yourself a few straws - cut them to half (or a little less) the length of the necklace chain - drop one end of the chain through the straw and clasp the chain shut.

Your necklaces will travel tangle free.

If the chain is thick - go to your favorite fastfood or coffee bar and get a thicker shake straw.

Straws...

Get yourself a few straws - cut them to half (or a little less) the length of the necklace chain - drop one end of the chain through the straw and clasp the chain shut.

If the chain is thick - go to your favorite fastfood or coffee bar and get a thicker shake straw.

Holy crap! I'm fascinated by the creativity of CC's!! I swear I learn something new everyday. ;)

See??? I KNEW I could count on you! Thank you for the awesome idea, tgo's, that is exactly what I'm going to do! Although I do like Scotland's idea too... :cool:

Straws...

That's exactly what I do! It works wonders!! :)

I use an empty toilet paper tube, and you can hang several necklaces in each one. You can flatten them to travel, and they will still do the job. I even started doing this at home, with my thinner chains, which tangle so easily.

Crusin' Carole

Next cruise -

Noordam - Dec. 1, 2007

I thought I'd share - I bought one of those little craft boxes (about 4"x8") that holds beads in small compartments and put my earrings in there. It was 99 cents, takes up hardly any space, and keeps my earrings from being one big tangled mess.

For earrings: buy a piece of plastic needlepoint canvas at a craft store. Put the earring post through the hole in the canvas and put the back on the earring. Cut the plastic canvas to fit however many earrings and place the whole thing in a zip plastic bag.

For necklace with a fine chain that needs more protection: I drop the whole thing down the soda straw and put a safety pin on the clasp to prevent it falling back. The "jewel" prevents the other end from falling. Each necklace goes into it's own zip bag.

I have to say I did the whole necklace in the straw thing for our cruise in Hawaii. At security at checkin, I was stopped for about 5 minutes becuase they were looking for something in my carry-on. Of course they wouldn't tell me what they were seeing so they looked and looked. Ended up being my necklaces - guess they looked like needles or something. They let me on but I've been careful about this since!!!

I have to say I did the whole necklace in the straw thing for our cruise in Hawaii. At security at checkin, I was stopped for about 5 minutes becuase they were looking for something in my carry-on. Of course they wouldn't tell me what they were seeing so they looked and looked. Ended up being my necklaces - guess they looked like needles or something. They let me on but I've been careful about this since!!!

Gosh, Thanks for the warning. I will leave the necklaces at home the next time I fly.

Either save those little cardboard holders that necklaces come on or I have another suggestion. This will sound a little weird. I take an empty toilet paper roll and fold it flat. Cover it with wrapping paper if you can't stand the looks of it. Anyway, you can roll the necklaces around it and while straws was a good idea, you won't have to roll as much. Also, if you plan on taking the ever popular duct tape, I use the toilet paper holders and wrap the duct tape around them. You will lose a little of the stickiness, but it takes up so much less space than a roll of duct tape.

I wear the same omega chain (thick one) and take different pendants.

These, pearls and earrings I place in the compartments of a silk jewellery roll (purchased in Hong Kong) or maybe obtainable in China Town areas. They are quite inexpensive.

Has not attracted any attention at x-rays at airport.

I also love all the above ideas. I think I may get the little craft box with the seperate compartments. Sounds easier.

I like this because you can keep the smaller earrings together and put the larger or dangly-er (is that a word??), more difficult ones in their own spaces so that the don't get tangled. Stows away easily in any of your bags.

You know all those little tiny ziplocks that extra buttons come in when you buy clothes? Save 'em. Use one for each necklace; leave the clasp of the necklace dangling just over the top of the bag, so that there's only 1/4 to 1/2 inch of chain hanging outside the baggie when you zip it up (keeps it from getting tangled up w/itself). Works really well - and if you're like me, you've got about 50 of those silly little baggies around...

• 2 weeks later...

:) I purchased a great item at The Container Store for my jewelry while traveling. $ 9.99 Will work for other small items also. Enjoy

37-Pocket Hanging Jewelry Organizer Clear

13" x 23-1/2"

439140 - In Stock

I'm baaaaaaaaaaack! :D

I used the straw trick and it worked like a charm. But I see you've been busy since I left, and I may in the future try the t.p. roll, and the button-baggie.

Thanks again, girls!

• 3 weeks later...
Either save those little cardboard holders that necklaces come on or I have another suggestion. This will sound a little weird. I take an empty toilet paper roll and fold it flat. Cover it with wrapping paper if you can't stand the looks of it.

I do something similar but use cardboard--there's always some from packing material in DS' toys. Also, i bought a jewelry travel case that rolls up but has multiple compartments for earrings etc but it's meant for jewelry so it's lined and the jewelry doesn't get scratched. plus, since it rolls up, i can keep it safe in my purse while traveling. but the best way of all it to just wait until you're there to buy some new ones!

Archived