Sea Dream in Sunday NY Times

maryella

In todays Ny Times Magazine section they did a 2 page pictorial about crew members living onboard Sea Dream I. Showed some pictures about how the crew work and live out of their cabins etc. Interesting! Looks like a tough life for them. They work 4 months and have 2 months off.

To be honest I dont remember names but they spotlighted the head of Housekeeping who was dating the head of (activities?). The housekeeping head said she keeps cribs under her bed in her cabin and a lot of the linen supplies as well. She holds meetings in her cabin and lives with her bofriend in his cabin. They mentioned that they have a crew party every week in the mess hall. At night after work the crew visit each other and socialize in their cabins. The article mentioned that at ports after they finish their jobs they like to visit the towns etc.

I just hope our cabin (on our April 13th cruise) is not as small as the ones shown for the crew!

To be honest I dont remember names but they spotlighted the head of Housekeeping who was dating the head of (activities?). The housekeeping head said she keeps cribs under her bed in her cabin and a lot of the linen supplies as well. She holds meetings in her cabin and lives with her bofriend in his cabin. They mentioned that they have a crew party every week in the mess hall. At night after work the crew visit each other and socialize in their cabins. The article mentioned that at ports after they finish their jobs they like to visit the towns etc.

I just hope our cabin (on our April 13th cruise) is not as small as the ones shown for the crew!

Thanks for sharing that. I would never have opened that Magazine section (I go right to the Travel section) but this was a supplement. It's on page 60 in case anyone is looking now in a magazine section called KEY. I was on SeaDream I but nonone looks familar but it was interesting.In the article are: Vilma Butkute head of housekeeping engaged to Matthieu Boivin chief Purser. Also there are Robert van Rijsbergen the chef (laying out menus on his bed!) and Christophe Cornu, hotel Manager.

Thanks for sharing that. I would never have opened that Magazine section (I go right to the Travel section) but this was a supplement. It's on page 60 in case anyone is looking now in a magazine section called KEY. I was on SeaDream I but nonone looks familar but it was interesting.In the article are: Vilma Butkute head of housekeeping engaged to Matthieu Boivin chief Purser. Also there are Robert van Rijsbergen the chef (laying out menus on his bed!) and Christophe Cornu, hotel Manager.

Thanks for the info maryella and Kate.

I wish we could get the Times here:rolleyes: We know Christophe ... he took excellent care of us on our last SD cruise.

Wish there was a way to post a link so that we could all enjoy the article!

Thank you SO MUCH Andhow!

It was so great to see the wonderful Christophe ... and the rest of the crew. They all work so hard to make our visits/trips so memorable.

Maryella, not to worry your cabin will be much larger than the crew cabins!

And I can assure that the captain's quarters are larger than the crews as well.

That was a great article - and great pictures as well. The crew quarters are certainly much superior compared to the traditional crew quarters on mass market cruises - which may explain in part why the crew seems very happy.

I love Christophe - and absolutely love Robert. I feel like both are genuinely nice people - not just being paid to be polite.

So this crew that was spotlighted travels exclusively on SD I? We will be on SDII. I hope the crew on II garners rave reviews as well?

The crew moves between the two ships ... as a matter of fact I know that Christophe moves between the two.

The crew on both yachts are excellent! We have sailed on both I and II and have run into crew that we have on I and II and vice versa.

Archived