WMS and the BlackBerry network

hughvh

This is an informational post for those curious about BlackBerry services while on a cruise ship. I tired researching this before I left, but there was little or no information on if the BlackBerry network is accessible via Wireless Maritime Services service.

I tested an 8703e (a CDMA device on Sprint) and an 8700g (GSM phone on Cingular) while on the Carnival Conquest which uses Wireless Maritime Services (WMS).

The 8700g had full functionality. Voice, SMS, and data access to the BlackBerry network.

The 8703e only had voice functionality. SMS and data services were not available.

A list of cruise ships equipped with WMS service can be found here: http://www.wirelessatsea.com/shipsinservice.htm

I hope this helps. The BlackBerry was very helpful with staying in touch without paying the CCL's $0.75 per minute rate.

One question---Have you received your bill from your service provider? I had a Blackberry using T Mobile and used it on Celebrity. I was astonished to get a $655 bill for using my Blackberry to make calls home using both the ship's wireless at sea and using it while in port, using the local network. The roaming charges and the connect fees for using the ship's phone service were huge. You might be in for a surprise when you get your wireless phone bill.

One question---Have you received your bill from your service provider?

I'll let you know when I get the bill. I did check on the rates for Cingular. It was $2.50 a minute on WMS and between $0.75 to $1.90 for each port we were in. SMS is a constant $0.50 per message. Data charges are only $0.0195 per KB.

Needless to say, I kept the phone off most of the time and only made 2-4 short phone calls while in port. I did do alot of e-mail, but I was able to type up the e-mails while the wireless was turned off and send them all at once when I was done.

This is an informational post for those curious about BlackBerry services while on a cruise ship. I tired researching this before I left, but there was little or no information on if the BlackBerry network is accessible via Wireless Maritime Services service.

I tested an 8703e (a CDMA device on Sprint) and an 8700g (GSM phone on Cingular) while on the Carnival Conquest which uses Wireless Maritime Services (WMS).

The 8700g had full functionality. Voice, SMS, and data access to the BlackBerry network.

The 8703e only had voice functionality. SMS and data services were not available.

A list of cruise ships equipped with WMS service can be found here: http://www.wirelessatsea.com/shipsinservice.htm

I hope this helps. The BlackBerry was very helpful with staying in touch without paying the CCL's $0.75 per minute rate.

so i have a 8703e - did you call sprint and get international calling? or did you call them at all to change your plan?

i am leaving sunday and dont want to be charged an arm and a leg...

thanks so much

so i have a 8703e - did you call sprint and get international calling? or did you call them at all to change your plan?

thanks so much

Be prepared for large bills. There is not only the ship charge, but your wireless provider has a charge. These are usually bundled together-average cost is about $4.50 per minute, although some providers charge as high as $6.00 per minute.

SOMEONE (meaning the user) has to pay for the technology on the ships. Those towers ARE NOT cheap.

thanks so much

I did enable International dialing.

Like a previous posted said, be sure to keep you phone off to avoid charges. Call Sprint to verify what there rates will be. (I think its $2.99 per minute for voice.)

Here's another link to another Sprint/WMS discussion: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=626645

This is so interesting... I'm curious to see how your bill is?

Can you check online to let us know?

I'm leaving for Spain on 10/11/2007.

I have Cinulgar blackberry 8700c. I'm glad to hear it worked. I just think it's safe to have it.

Cingular says before I leave I need to get the $3.99(monthly) world traveler service. I can cancel this when I get back. This will limit the charges while in countries (Spain, Italy, and France) sms .50 cents each, data .0195kb per. and .99 per minute calls.

As for ship, I have no idea how wms works, please provide all the info you can. This is something you have to buy to work or will your phone automatically pick it up? I don't want any huge charges and I will keep my phone off as much as possible.

In order to limit my data charges, I will shut off my regular work redirection. I have set up a blackberry email account that I will give to family and my boss just for emergency purposes. They have been told no attachments.

Any help and info is much appreciated.

As for ship, I have no idea how wms works, please provide all the info you can. This is something you have to buy to work or will your phone automatically pick it up? I don't want any huge charges and I will keep my phone off as much as possible....Any help and info is much appreciated.

It works just like it is another country. Go to ATT International here:

http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/international/roaming/international-roaming.jsp?WT.svl=calltoaction

And use the drop-down box to select the 'country' of Royal Caribbean International; you will see rates of $2.49 per minute to use your device as a cell phone. That is while at sea, when in port the ship turns off their cell tower and you can access the land-based towers to call at those European country rates of 0.99 per minute.

My bill hasn't cycled yet. I'll let you know.

If it helps, a three day trip to Mexico last spring was only $8 in international data roaming. We did keep the phone off most of the time.

Just got back from Med cruise 8/29 - I've taken my crackberry to Europe before - wouldn't consider going without it - and without it ON!

Worked like a charm - in port and at sea. I mainly used email (disabling work email of course!) - no additional cost to my plan. Also used internet - checking CNN, using Italian/Eng dictionary, etc. It was on constantly - never turned it off. I use it as my alarm, makes a great nightlight at night, and it stored my schedule, contacts, etc. etc. I have T-Mobile and have the data plan - and it is enabled for international calls. Frankly, the phone service in Europe was better than what I get at home! I was high on a hilltop in Croatia (talking elevation here :) ) and had full coverage, couldn't believe it. I get two bars in my home in San Fran and here I am in a remote location on a jeep tour of Croatia - full bars!

I made 17 min (9 calls) on shore and at sea - totaled $64. I suspect the 2 shipboard calls were highest.

I don't think there is a very affordable option to using voice ON a ship. If, on the other hand you are sending emails - at least my set up - I incurred NO additional cost. It was totally cool to look up historical facts/figures, look up restaurants on Frommer's site, etc.

Incidentally - here is the coolest software for your berry . . . have used it for several years now. There are some amazing plugins that allow you to be one click away from your favorite items - weather, sports, Italian/Eng dictionary etc. etc. Enjoy - it is free! Email this link to your berry, and away you go!

http://thebogles.com/blog/projects/berry411/

• 4 weeks later...

I'm leaving for Spain on 10/11/2007.

The bill came in. I was charged $0.84 for 43 KB and $0.15 a SMS message. I guess queuing those e-mails really helped.

I hope you have a good time in Spain!

Archived