Explorer II being sold

Jade13

Does anyone have any information? One TA I contacted no longer deals with this ship. They said the major reason is that they deal with clients who want as many landings as possible and because the ship takes 200, they can not take all passengers off at the same time so the landings are limited.

Of course, perhaps they just can't make commission on the ship any longer, but they did say they were no longer taking bookings. I thought they said the ship was being bought by Regency Hotels?

The Clipper Adventurer is not an option as it only has twin beds.

I don't have info on the Explorer II being sold. However, the information you got on the landings being limited on ExplorerII cruises is incorrect. We were on the ship and had plenty of landings (2 a day unless the weather was bad).

They do split the landings since there are more than 100 people on board, but you still get plenty of time on land. We thoroughly enjoyed the cruise!

Please post back if you find out more regarding the ship being sold.

Regarding the Clipper Adventurer: can they not put the beds together? I know they do that on most cruise lines and just provide bedding for a double?

I don't have info on the Explorer II being sold. However, the information you got on the landings being limited on ExplorerII cruises is incorrect. We were on the ship and had plenty of landings (2 a day unless the weather was bad).

They do split the landings since there are more than 100 people on board, but you still get plenty of time on land. We thoroughly enjoyed the cruise!

Please post back if you find out more regarding the ship being sold.

Regarding the Clipper Adventurer: can they not put the beds together? I know they do that on most cruise lines and just provide bedding for a double?

I was told that 90% of the shops in Antartica only have single beds.

Jade13-Your TA is giving you a lot of misinformation. Explorer II is owned by a large holding company that leases the ship to various tour operators (A&K, for example) and cruise lines (Regent, for example). There is recent news that Regent may have been sold. But Explorer II hasn't. It will continue to provide high quality expedition cruises to Antarctica through leases and charters with various companies. Most cruise ships, including those in Antarctica, have twin beds that can be pushed together to form a double/queen

Hi Jade

I agree with cruiseguy that you are being given alot of misinformation.

As for the beds, as I mentioned before - most cruiseline's beds are singles that are made up as doubles for those who want them. So cruises to Antarctica are no different!

Hope that you find something you will enjoy :)

Jade13-Your TA is giving you a lot of misinformation. Explorer II is owned by a large holding company that leases the ship to various tour operators (A&K, for example) and cruise lines (Regent, for example). There is recent news that Regent may have been sold. But Explorer II hasn't. It will continue to provide high quality expedition cruises to Antarctica through leases and charters with various companies. Most cruise ships, including those in Antarctica, have twin beds that can be pushed together to form a double/queen

Not "my" TA, but I e-mailed Quark Expeditions and Polar Cruises to get information. Both indicated that 90% of the ships in Antartica had twin beds. This would make sense since they were built for research, but I'm having a had time finding anything that works for us. The Clipper Adventurer and Orlova are popular and both only have two twins that can not be pushed together.

My other issue is that I was told all ships are cash only for final payment (check or wire transfer) with the exception of Explorer II and Endeavor. I am having a problem with that too.

• 3 weeks later...
Not "my" TA, but I e-mailed Quark Expeditions and Polar Cruises to get information. Both indicated that 90% of the ships in Antartica had twin beds. This would make sense since they were built for research, but I'm having a had time finding anything that works for us. The Clipper Adventurer and Orlova are popular and both only have two twins that can not be pushed together.

My other issue is that I was told all ships are cash only for final payment (check or wire transfer) with the exception of Explorer II and Endeavor. I am having a problem with that too.

Hello Jade

I see now that you are doing a through research of the matter!

Let's see if I can help.

On the Clipper Adventurers the twin beds remain twins. If you got your information about twin beds from Quark, I must assume that on most of *their* ships the beds are fixed as well. This might be a Russian heritage. On many of the ships, the beds can be joined, but be advised that many ships do not carry double duvets, so the beds are joined but the duvets are not...

The Explorer 2 has been sold last year, but the new owner thinks that you should not change a winning team, so on the cruising end not much have changed - except that you have to go through different charterers to get different tours.

I hope that I managed to cast some light on your doubts, and if you have more, you can contact me by e-mail at tiaserena at g mail.:p

Hello Jade

I see now that you are doing a through research of the matter!

Let's see if I can help.

On the Clipper Adventurers the twin beds remain twins. If you got your information about twin beds from Quark, I must assume that on most of *their* ships the beds are fixed as well. This might be a Russian heritage. On many of the ships, the beds can be joined, but be advised that many ships do not carry double duvets, so the beds are joined but the duvets are not...

The Explorer 2 has been sold last year, but the new owner thinks that you should not change a winning team, so on the cruising end not much have changed - except that you have to go through different charterers to get different tours.

I hope that I managed to cast some light on your doubts, and if you have more, you can contact me by e-mail at tiaserena at g mail.:p

Maybe I will contact you, but I already found out what I could and booked the Explorer II/Minerva through A&K since they had the dates we wanted. Plus, I was being told that there was only one SA/Cat 8 (lowest used in Antarctica) left and I didn't want to pay another $1,000pp ($2,000) for a cabin the same size (but with a window vs two portholes a few doors down). Cat 1, 2, 3, and 4 are already sold out for Feb 2009.

As far as I can figure Swan Hellinic/Voyages of Discovery has a 5 or 6 year lease and A&K leases from them. It appears Regent has alternating dates since they are not the same as A&K's. It seems North American clients get about 100 cabins and European the other half (based on the fact that I e-mailed Swan after seeing the sailings on their web site and they told me to go through their sister company Discovery, who told me I had to book through A&K.)

I still can't figure if Regent leases through Swan or just leases totally different dates through the owners? A&K told me they get 100 cabins and Regent gets 100. I think the rep I spoke to may have been mistaken and meant another European company had half the cabins for each sailing. A&K is less money than Regent for the same number of nights (although you have to subtract the air to figure that out). Both include one night hotel and gratuities in their quotes. Also Regent has a stop in the Falklands on their shorter cruise whereas A&K does not but spends an extra day on the Pennisula (perhaps better?)

Ok, maybe you can shed light on why almost every ship in Antarctica requires cash payment (check or wired money)? Someone e-mailed me that I should try the Corinthian II. Although the cabins look nicer based on photos, the dining area looks nicer on the Minerva. Plus the Corinthean II was at least a $1,000 pp more money. Another deciding factor is that we can pay for the Minerva with a credit card and there is no additional 3% or so like they charge in many European countries to use a credit card. We were totally not comfortable with wiring this much money for payment and the fare is not that much more than most of the Russian ships.

Maybe I will contact you, but I already found out what I could and booked the Explorer II/Minerva through A&K since they had the dates we wanted. Plus, I was being told that there was only one SA/Cat 8 (lowest used in Antarctica) left and I didn't want to pay another $1,000pp ($2,000) for a cabin the same size (but with a window vs two portholes a few doors down). Cat 1, 2, 3, and 4 are already sold out for Feb 2009.

As far as I can figure Swan Hellinic/Voyages of Discovery has a 5 or 6 year lease and A&K leases from them. It appears Regent has alternating dates since they are not the same as A&K's. It seems North American clients get about 100 cabins and European the other half (based on the fact that I e-mailed Swan after seeing the sailings on their web site and they told me to go through their sister company Discovery, who told me I had to book through A&K.)

I still can't figure if Regent leases through Swan or just leases totally different dates through the owners? A&K told me they get 100 cabins and Regent gets 100. I think the rep I spoke to may have been mistaken and meant another European company had half the cabins for each sailing. A&K is less money than Regent for the same number of nights (although you have to subtract the air to figure that out). Both include one night hotel and gratuities in their quotes. Also Regent has a stop in the Falklands on their shorter cruise whereas A&K does not but spends an extra day on the Pennisula (perhaps better?)

Ok, maybe you can shed light on why almost every ship in Antarctica requires cash payment (check or wired money)? Someone e-mailed me that I should try the Corinthian II. Although the cabins look nicer based on photos, the dining area looks nicer on the Minerva. Plus the Corinthean II was at least a $1,000 pp more money. Another deciding factor is that we can pay for the Minerva with a credit card and there is no additional 3% or so like they charge in many European countries to use a credit card. We were totally not comfortable with wiring this much money for payment and the fare is not that much more than most of the Russian ships.

If you have already booked, you will be happy with A&K service. I don't know how all the charters are working now. Voyages of Discovery is the new owner. Swan Hellenic is coming back to this ship, after being away from her for a long time. All the time it has been called the Explorer 2 or the Alexander von Humboldt. The reason the name was changed to the Explorer 2 is because A&K wanted to bring the name and the prestige of the late Explorer to this ship. Now that Swan Hellenic is back, the name goes back to Minerva. Unless there has been a merger between these two companies, Swan Hellenic is chartering from Voyages of Discovery.

When the ship was sold last year, A&K announced to us that they would not be leasing this ship from 2008 forward, they were looking into buying another ship, or chartering trips in different ships, the way that Zeagrahm does. They probably changed their mind because the Explorer 2 got quite a following.

I know nothing about price, I actually make an effort not to. I don't want to be comparing prices passengers pay with my salary :rolleyes:, even because I know that there a lot of other costs involved that I am not aware of.

As for why the companies insist on money and will not accept credit cards, I was not aware of that until you raised the point. I can only guess the reasons: maybe because these cruises are so popular, they want to make sure they have your reservation money in their account before they secure your cabin, for if there is some problem with the credit transfer they can quickly sell the cabin to somebody else. But as I said, this is just a guess...:confused:

• 3 weeks later...

We were on Explorer II in Jan 2005 (through Regent) and the beds could NOT be pushed together (okay as I was with my daughter, but just thought I'd let you know.) It was a great ship, crew, service, and trip of a lifetime -- we both loved it. You feel one with the crew after awhile and one of the highlights was partying with them in Ushuaia last night of the trip!

We were on Explorer II in Jan 2005 (through Regent) and the beds could NOT be pushed together (okay as I was with my daughter, but just thought I'd let you know.) It was a great ship, crew, service, and trip of a lifetime -- we both loved it. You feel one with the crew after awhile and one of the highlights was partying with them in Ushuaia last night of the trip!

Yikes. I booked through A&K through an online TA (that I have used), and will phone A&K to confirm. It is also confusing because they are changing the cabin numbers and I am not 100% sure which one I am in since it does not correspond to their web site.

Which cabin were you in where the beds would not go together?

I'll look at my scrapbook at home tonight, but we were on the lowest passenger deck (which was great cuz that ship MOVES when the seas get rough!) I also saw a post that said something about not getting enough landings, but we always had two/day and while the other group of 100 (probably more like 70, not everyone gets off and I think our group was 175, which is small and you do get to know everyone) was off on their landings, it was a great time to write in our journals, read, or just watch the penguins float by on ice or pop up out of the water fishing. You are gonna love it!

I was also on the ExplorerII lowest passenger deck (B Deck) and the beds COULD be pushed together. In fact the cabin attendant even brought us bedding for a double bed. Perhaps there are some cabins where this is not possible (I am not disputing what AUD has said) but our cabin's beds were indeed pushed together.

As for the rocking - you will feel the motion much more on the upper decks than the lower decks so if motion is an issue for you, book lower down.

I was also on the ExplorerII lowest passenger deck (B Deck) and the beds COULD be pushed together. In fact the cabin attendant even brought us bedding for a double bed. Perhaps there are some cabins where this is not possible (I am not disputing what AUD has said) but our cabin's beds were indeed pushed together.

As for the rocking - you will feel the motion much more on the upper decks than the lower decks so if motion is an issue for you, book lower down.

We did. I think we will be lowest forward because that was what was left. I have to call because TA's confirmation does not match deck plans. They are changing the name back to Minerva and changing room numbers.

I'll look at my scrapbook at home tonight, but we were on the lowest passenger deck (which was great cuz that ship MOVES when the seas get rough!) I also saw a post that said something about not getting enough landings, but we always had two/day and while the other group of 100 (probably more like 70, not everyone gets off and I think our group was 175, which is small and you do get to know everyone) was off on their landings, it was a great time to write in our journals, read, or just watch the penguins float by on ice or pop up out of the water fishing. You are gonna love it!

That is what I was thinking. We are in our 40's but maybe some older passengers will not bother to get off twice per day.

What was the food like? We are not going for the food of course but just wondering. My DH is a Chef. Neither of us eats fish (I do eat shell fish).

the food was great, although we missed breakfast quite a bit . . . not as good as Regent ships, but definitely very good. The wines, if I remember correctly, were really good. We just finished a SeaDream cruise and I remember thinking I wish their complimentary selection had been as good as in Antarctica!

We even had a "bbq" up on deck one sunshiny, blue sky day . . . they tucked warmed blankets around your back and legs when you sat down, nice touch!

That is what I was thinking. We are in our 40's but maybe some older passengers will not bother to get off twice per day.

What was the food like? We are not going for the food of course but just wondering. My DH is a Chef. Neither of us eats fish (I do eat shell fish).

Jade

You will probably be surprised by the energy most of the passengers have (older or younger)! People who choose this kind of trip are not usually the kind of passengers who enjoy sitting by the window knitting :p

There is a 95% attendance to every landing, or more. 100% on the first landing. Usually people don't go out only when they are sick or the weather is really bad. :cool:

The food of the E2 is great, and the waiters really friendly and helpful.:D

Try getting just a small portion of desert, and see if you can!

I usually had my meals on the buffet restaurant.

What are your cruise dates?

Jade

You will probably be surprised by the energy most of the passengers have (older or younger)! People who choose this kind of trip are not usually the kind of passengers who enjoy sitting by the window knitting :p

There is a 95% attendance to every landing, or more. 100% on the first landing. Usually people don't go out only when they are sick or the weather is really bad. :cool:

The food of the E2 is great, and the waiters really friendly and helpful.:D

Try getting just a small portion of desert, and see if you can!

I usually had my meals on the buffet restaurant.

What are your cruise dates?

Date is the Classic Antarctica in February 2009 (I have to check on exact as A&K quotes dates from when you leave home), with 5 days scheduled on the Pennisula. So, I am not leaving for a while, but I need to figure air when the flights open around March 2008.

I see you have worked on this ship?

• 3 months later...

Explorer 2 is back as the Minerva as it was - back again with Swan Hellenic, the original owners - understand having a makeover - cabins carpets etc. Going with them on Four Continents Grand Voyage 71 days - March 09 - flying down to BA for a couple days - on to Ushuaia- Antartic for about 5 days - over to Tristan da Cunha - South Africa - Red Sea back onto the Med -fly back to uk from Athens - All flights/hotels/shore excursions in every port/gratuities - included . Possible to do segments! - but many other trips available. Please note i am not on commision - no free trip here!! - This 71 day trip approx £8000. Just thought i would give the info. Take a look at web site.

www.swanhellenic.com

Explorer 2 is back as the Minerva as it was - back again with Swan Hellenic, the original owners - understand having a makeover - cabins carpets etc. Going with them on Four Continents Grand Voyage 71 days - March 09 - flying down to BA for a couple days - on to Ushuaia- Antartic for about 5 days - over to Tristan da Cunha - South Africa - Red Sea back onto the Med -fly back to uk from Athens - All flights/hotels/shore excursions in every port/gratuities - included . Possible to do segments! - but many other trips available. Please note i am not on commision - no free trip here!! - This 71 day trip approx £8000. Just thought i would give the info. Take a look at web site.

www.swanhellenic.com

Hi, I figured all that out after I posted. I e-mailed Swan Hellenic and they told me to contact Discovery World Cruises in the US, who told me to contact A&K. Anyway, we are on a 10 night next February. The Grand Voyage sounds great. Do you have any info on the upgrades or when work is being done?

Also, does Swan lease this ship or own it?

The Minerva is under a long-term lease to All Leisure Group, which also owns Voyages of Discovery (formerly Discovery World Cruises). All Leisure and Lord Sterling teamed up to revive the brand. The Voyages of Discovery office in Fort Lauderdale handles US and Canadian bookings for Swan Hellenic -- except for the Minerva's Antarctica cruises. Abercrombie & Kent operate the expedition program and also handle all sales in North America.

The Minerva is under a long-term lease to All Leisure Group, which also owns Voyages of Discovery (formerly Discovery World Cruises). All Leisure and Lord Sterling teamed up to revive the brand. The Voyages of Discovery office in Fort Lauderdale handles US and Canadian bookings for Swan Hellenic -- except for the Minerva's Antarctica cruises. Abercrombie & Kent operate the expedition program and also handle all sales in North America.

Thanks for the explanation that I was trying to find! So, does A&K resell to Regent cruises? I noticed that the A&K website has a ships log and one day it mentioned the talk from Regent....

Archived