Summit: July 16, 2004 review - part 3

boten

Summit: July 16, 2004 review - Oh, NO!

part 1 part 2

This is not just a review.

This is the story of all the things that happened to us, the thoughts we had and the decisions we made that had implications on our cruise.

If you want just the cruise review, wait until I post the review, which will probably be titled "The journey begins"

November 2002 - January 2003

We made some more inquiries, some more phone calls. We made reservations for hotels and excursions, the Milepost database was done. We were ready. We just had to wait until July.

In January, Dalia had a micro-surgery. Being a strong lady, she wanted to go home right after the procedure saying "A hospital is no place for healthy people". The doctor almost forced her to stay the night and the next morning I took her home where she recovered very fast.

February 2003

On February 5 our son, while on active duty, had inflammatory appendix and had it removed. Being young and strong, he also recovered fast, but enjoyed 10 days of sick leave from the Air Force at home.

On February 21, 2003 disaster striked! I slipped in a gas station and broke my knee. Being handicapped in the first place, the fracture caused me to lose the delicate balance I had before the fall. I could not walk.

March 2003 - January 2004

Weeks in a cast and months of PT did not improve the situation. Surgery was out of question since no one could tell what was the bones position before the fall and a surgery would probably make things worse. I used a walker and then crutches to walk.

We cancelled the cruise, we called and e-mailed and cancelled all our other reservations. On top of the pain and the loss of walking independently, we had to abandon our dream vacation, at least for the time being.

In July, one of the doctors suggested wearing a full length brace to keep the knee from collapsing. I resented the idea and continued with a lot of PT and only minor improvement. After a serious talk with the PT staff, they let me know that they don't think my leg will ever return to its previous condition, and they think a brace will help me. I agreed with them.

In Israel, we - unfortunately - have a lot of experience with various types of injuries, and there are several companies that build all sorts of equipment to help disabled persons, they are all connected to the Ministry of Health and some organizations that finance this type of equipment. We went through the process of having the brace (and orthopedic shoes) approved for financing, taking measurements and testing the brace again and again.

In the meantime, just to make sure, we booked the same cruise again. Same itinerary - NB from Vancouver, same ship - Summit, same cabin - 7202, a starboard size corner FV, almost the same date - July 16, 2004.

Boten, I know that was really rough for you, but since I've met you and Dalia I saw how well you did with the brace, I'm glad you decided to go with the brace after all! I love you guys and I can't wait for the rest to be posted!

Archived