FRED bus in Halifax?

Well, that stinks! We're going to be in Halifax on Sept. 13th, and I had figured FRED into our plans for the day! I'm surprised service stops so early in September, when all the fall foliage cruises are just getting underway. Guess we'll have to take a city bus up to the Citadel and Public Gardens. Anybody know the bus # and where to get it near the cruise terminal? Thanks!

I don't know about the bus system but we walked up to the Citadel from the harborfront.. it wasn't nearly as far as it looked on city maps. Just a suggestion. There is a great area set up at the port just inside terminal with local vendors and tourist bureau folks etc.. Very helpful. I'm sure they can direct you to the right bus if you check with them and don't want to hoof it up the hill....

It would take longer to take the bus than it would to walk up the hill to the Citadel or to the Public Garden as the buses that stop near the pier bypass the core area you'd need. At the most, if you're a slow walker, it'd take about 20 minutes to get to the Gardens and less to get to the Citadel. I work just a few blocks from the waterfront, about halfway between the Gardens and Pier 21, and it takes me about 10 minutes on a slow day to walk down on my lunch and gawk at the ships :) It's beautiful walk and you pass a lot of nice buildings along the way. Of course, if you need a bus due to accessablity reasons, none of this will help. We have an access-a-bus service but I think visitors need to register at least 48 hours in advance.

http://www.region.halifax.ns.ca/metrotransit/Schedules/Maps/routemap_downtown.pdf

is the link to the route map for our bus system. If you zoom in you'll see the piers and if you look carefully you'll see my workplace (TUNS-DalTech) identified as a yellow block. Right and diagonally to that is the Public Gardens. This is just to show how small the downtown core really is.

Hope this helps!!

M

Thanks for all your helpful info. If the FRED bus is running when we're there, fine, and if it isn't we'll walk up. I just figured we'd take FRED to do the loop and see what there was and just get off at the Public Gardens and stroll back down to our ship. I can hardly wait to see your lovely city!

Archived