SeaDream Caribbean: ?s & Your Favorite Things to Do Onboard

Cammiem

What are your favorite things to do ON the SD yachts while in the Caribbean? It could be something special you ask the crew to do/set up for you. It could be enjoying a refreshing drink poolside. Or, something special you do that epitomizes the SD experience for you. I originally asked this question in caviargal's thread, and there are some fantastic replies there, (http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=694301) but thought a thread dedicated to this would be easier for more people to find.

I'd also like to know what dress is like. We plan to spend lots of time in swimsuits by the pool and other outdoor areas. I'm sure breakfast & lunch would be eaten outdoors in good weather. Is it appropriate to dine at the Topside Restaurant in swimsuit & cover-up or is something more "formal" than that required?

Is it hard to find vacant Bali sunbeds or poolside lounge chairs? Do I have to claim my spot before breakfast?

Does the air conditioning blast so cold that I'll need a sweater in the indoor areas?

What are your favorite things to do ON the SD yachts while in the Caribbean? It could be something special you ask the crew to do/set up for you. It could be enjoying a refreshing drink poolside. Or, something special you do that epitomizes the SD experience for you. I originally asked this question in caviargal's thread, and there are some fantastic replies there, (http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=694301) but thought a thread dedicated to this would be easier for more people to find.

I'd also like to know what dress is like. We plan to spend lots of time in swimsuits by the pool and other outdoor areas. I'm sure breakfast & lunch would be eaten outdoors in good weather. Is it appropriate to dine at the Topside Restaurant in swimsuit & cover-up or is something more "formal" than that required?

Is it hard to find vacant Bali sunbeds or poolside lounge chairs? Do I have to claim my spot before breakfast?

Does the air conditioning blast so cold that I'll need a sweater in the indoor areas?

Someone who has more SD trips under their belts (DJ, Jim, CBTJR, FT) than I do may give you a bit better answer but let me try.

Dress is always resort casual. I don't recall anyone in swimsuits and coverups at breakfast, but I certainly do at lunch time. Remember that except for a few journeys SD is a port intensive voyage and at breakfast most people are dressed to go ashore. Lunch is a different matter. You can go topside to eat or often they will bring you lunch around the pool.

I have never had trouble finding a vacant chair. There seem to be enough for everyone. You may find all the sun beds occupied but there are quiet a few of them around the deck.

Can't help much with the sweater issue.

Good idea on starting a separate thread!

Breakfast and lunch in the Caribbean are served at the Topside Restaurant. I usually wear an appropriate cover up (think Lands End knee length style) over my bathing suit. Sometimes I will wear shorts and a shirt if we are going onshore. DH usually wears his swim trunks and a T-shirt. We have been known to start happy hour at the TOY Bar before showering and dressing in this attire.

We haven't had a problem finding a Bali bed or lounger pool side. Granted we are early risers ... sometimes we are up and on deck before they start serving breakfast:eek: I do have a favorite Bali bed that sometimes is otherwise occupied but I just move to another spot (actually the crew jokes with me about it).

I have never been too cold on SD ... but I would suggest taking a sweater or shaw in case it's breeze while underway on deck. The a/c can never be too cold for me!

DH and I have been blessed to spend a lot of time in the Caribbean so when we cruise SD we cruise for the yacht not the islands. It isn't unusual for us to stay on board while in port. Actually, this trip we will probably get off the yacht to do the Bio Bay tour in PR and then for the champagne and caviar splash in Jost.

There are so many special things that the crew has done for us ...

One night after dinner ctbjr, Mrs. ctbjr, DH and I were at the TOY Bar. We were discussing Bloody Marys and how the ones on SD weren't spicy enough for us. Eric, the bartender, asked me about my recipe which I shared it in general terms. The next morning he had a version of my Bloody Marys waiting for us ... he had experimented after we left with the ingredients I mentioned.

Another memorable evening, again with ctbjr and Mrs. ctbjr, was the night we had caesar salad, osso bucco and creme brulee for dinner while seated at one of the tables on the aft with the lights of Florida twinkling in the distance.

Before the cruise, ctbjr and I had emailed back and forth about what the perfect dinner on SD would be. Imagine my surprise on the second night when each of the things I listed (food and setting) happened. It was a magical evening. I am not sure how it happened but it was a night that we will remember for a long time.

Let me add that I have experienced SeaDream 1 in the Mediterranean in November. Jeans & wool sweaters were the norm during the day and the only time we were at the pooldeck was just prior to shore excursions and during the Splash.

The Caribbean will be completely different wardrobe-wise. A girl has to be prepared! :D

Good idea on starting a separate thread!

Breakfast and lunch in the Caribbean are served at the Topside Restaurant. I usually wear an appropriate cover up (think Lands End knee length style) over my bathing suit. Sometimes I will wear shorts and a shirt if we are going onshore. DH usually wears his swim trunks and a T-shirt. We have been known to start happy hour at the TOY Bar before showering and dressing in this attire.

We haven't had a problem finding a Bali bed or lounger pool side. Granted we are early risers ... sometimes we are up and on deck before they start serving breakfast:eek: I do have a favorite Bali bed that sometimes is otherwise occupied but I just move to another spot (actually the crew jokes with me about it).

I have never been too cold on SD ... but I would suggest taking a sweater or shaw in case it's breeze while underway on deck. The a/c can never be too cold for me!

DH and I have been blessed to spend a lot of time in the Caribbean so when we cruise SD we cruise for the yacht not the islands. It isn't unusual for us to stay on board while in port. Actually, this trip we will probably get off the yacht to do the Bio Bay tour in PR and then for the champagne and caviar splash in Jost.

There are so many special things that the crew has done for us ...

One night after dinner ctbjr, Mrs. ctbjr, DH and I were at the TOY Bar. We were discussing Bloody Marys and how the ones on SD weren't spicy enough for us. Eric, the bartender, asked me about my recipe which I shared it in general terms. The next morning he had a version of my Bloody Marys waiting for us ... he had experimented after we left with the ingredients I mentioned.

Another memorable evening, again with ctbjr and Mrs. ctbjr, was the night we had caesar salad, osso bucco and creme brulee for dinner while seated at one of the tables on the aft with the lights of Florida twinkling in the distance.

Before the cruise, ctbjr and I had emailed back and forth about what the perfect dinner on SD would be. Imagine my surprise on the second night when each of the things I listed (food and setting) happened. It was a magical evening. I am not sure how it happened but it was a night that we will remember for a long time.

DJ, is it hard to get an outdoor aft table? I would assume it'd be a popular location. Your dinner with the ctbjr's sounds dreamy. What a wonderful memory.

We enjoyed lunches at the Topside tucked-in the little alcove near one of the lifeboats. Table for two, somewhat secluded. Wonderful.

DJ, is it hard to get an outdoor aft table? I would assume it'd be a popular location. Your dinner with the ctbjr's sounds dreamy. What a wonderful memory.

We enjoyed lunches at the Topside tucked-in the little alcove near one of the lifeboats. Table for two, somewhat secluded. Wonderful.

There are only a few tables (four or five I think) on the aft section. I suspect you have to request them a day in advance but I am not sure about that. We did try once on our first cruise to be seated there one evening but they were already reserved. Guess we will have to check it out this cruise and report back.

I am sure some other SDers will weigh in on this question.

Archived