norwegian and wheelchairs

gigsjh

Yes, certainly. But then you have to figure out the logistics of getting it to the port. No problem if you are driving, but if you are flying there is always the possibility of damage. And getting there with a damaged chair won't do you much good. If you do opt for flying with your own manual wheelchair, check out this chapter for some tips on protecting your wheelchair.

http://emerginghorizons.com/book/sample.html

In your case (cast) I would most certainly recommend renting. You can use the airport wheelchair to get from curbside to the gate and for connections and right out to the port transportation. It's just easier.

Oh yes I forgot to mention in the other thread -- if you do go for a scooter you have to have an accessible cabin as the doorways on standard (non-accessible) cabins are too narrow for most full-size scooters. And you can't leave the scooter in the hallway.

Candy

Well then if you're driving I'd say rent it at home. You also have a better chance of getting your insurance to cover it that way too (depending of course on your coverage). But no, you will have no trouble boarding/disembarking in your own (or a rented) wheelchair. Have a good cruise.

Candy

I would definitely rent and take your own. Be sure to get a lightweight chair (less than 30 lb) like a Breezy. Don't take a "travel" chair with 4 small wheels as your father will not be able to even turn around independently, and it is difficult to use this type over curbs when you are ashore.

The wheelchairs the ship has are not only of limited availability, but they are heavy and often not in good repair. The ship's crew will help you get it up/down stairs or ramps when you dock and on/off tenders (which can be scary, but do-able).

Just plan to be on the deck for your life boat drill well before the announced time so you don't have to wait for elevators (which are not supposed to be used during the drill at all).

Archived