Raiders of the Lost Mayan Cave

johnnychimpo

Just a touch up, this is what Carnival had on this... Looks like noone here has done it. I guess I could be the Guinea pig... just hope I dont get a evil mayan curse on me

----------------------

If action and adventure is what you are looking for, be prepared for a thrill of a lifetime as you trek your way up a hillside trail in the Belizean jungle, seeking “Dragon’s Mouth,” the ceremonial entry site into the Mayan underworld; you will get dirty and wet as you travel through different levels of the Mayan underworld, by way of “via-ferrata,” zip lines, swinging suspension bridges, and an exciting rappel down a cliff face! On this excursion you will: Board an air conditioned bus and leave the city. Watch as the scenery changes and the road gets more rugged as your 75-minute journey takes you from the tame to the wild. Arrive at the remote jungle outpost for a quick rest stop and then on to the base camp where you are transformed into the ultimate explorer. Receive a safety briefing and your gear (helmet, light, gloves and harness) before your hike into the dense jungle. Follow your highly-trained guides and headlamps as they lead you through a maze of multi-chambered caves filled with magnificent formations, geological wonders and Mayan history. Feel a sense of awe as you crawl through small openings that reveal hollowed ceremonial chambers, hiding Mayan artifacts used in their ancient rituals centuries ago. Connect your safety lines as you explore the upper layers of your subterranean abyss before rappelling 20 feet down a rock face; upon landing you reenter the cave and continue your quest. Learn about this amazing hidden world and its formation from your guides as you climb over rock, trek through underground waterholes (waterholes during rainy season) and navigate narrow passages. Ride a 300-foot zip line over the jungle floor and from the exit of one cave, into the mouth of another cave filled with protruding stalactites and stalagmites, accessible only by this jungle/cave flight. Test your skill as you navigate your way through a network of pillars on a swinging rope bridge before propelling out of the mouth of the cave on an inclined traverse, down to your jungle trail for a short hike back to your bus. Be exhilarated and amazed as you head back to Big Hill Station having worked up an appetite for the jungle barbeque that awaits you. Head back to your ship with memories to last a lifetime; photos of your adventure and souvenirs are available for purchase at Big Hill Station.

Note: Minimum age is 12 years. Maximum height is 6’4” and maximum weight is 265 lbs. Pregnant women and guests with heart conditions, back/leg/neck injuries, or guests unable to move through restricted spaces (claustrophobic) are not permitted on this excursion. Closed-toe shoes are required. Loose comfortable clothing, long pants, long-sleeved shirt, and insect repellant are recommended. Guests should bring dry socks and shoes (during rainy season); a change of clothing is optional.

• 2 weeks later...

I've tubed, I've zip-lined, I took a motorboat up the New River to the fabulous Lamanai Mayan ruins in Belize, but this sounds like a really fun combo! If anyone has gone, please step up and give the "real" review. The description sounds like something I'd love! :D

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone got a review on this yet? We will be in Belize on Oct 2 and are trying to decide if we should do this or cave tubing. It would be helpful if someone has been on this tour and can give a review?? Thanks!:)

• 3 weeks later...

Just got off of RCI Enchantment of the Seas. In Belize I took the Raiders of the lost Mayan caves tour through the cruise line. It was Amazing!! One of the best adventure excursions I have taken. You will get wet,you will get muddy,you will see bats, you will learn about the Mayans, you will walk,crawl,rappel,zipline and swing in the caves, and you will have lots of FUN doing it. I suggest you wear long pants,sneakers,and that you put on bug spray. Enjoy

Glad to see a post about this, I saw it, and immediately thought, nahhh maybe when I'm a little skinnier .... how physically intensive was it? I am in decent shape, just a little "large in the barge" hahaha.

If you are in decent shape,you will be fine. If you are "large in the barge" you might actally have a slight advantage in the zipline. You know, momentum. hahaha

• 1 month later...
I am so glad to see someone review this excursion --- I would love to see more people's input!

My husband and two of my sons are going on this in November!

Happy Cruising!

As I posted back in July,I had a blast on this excursion. I would love to read some more reviews to make sure that I'm not the only crazy one that likes this excursion. FYI you can check out the tour operators web site at http://www.chukkacaribbean.com. Have a great time

• 3 weeks later...
Just got off of RCI Enchantment of the Seas. In Belize I took the Raiders of the lost Mayan caves tour through the cruise line. It was Amazing!! One of the best adventure excursions I have taken. You will get wet,you will get muddy,you will see bats, you will learn about the Mayans, you will walk,crawl,rappel,zipline and swing in the caves, and you will have lots of FUN doing it. I suggest you wear long pants,sneakers,and that you put on bug spray. Enjoy

Do you remember what the cost per person on this excursion was?

I believe our criuse line (Regent) is charging $109 but if you went directly through the tour operator it is $78 - but cruise passengers can't go on that one as it departs at 1PM and does not return in time for the ships's departure (it's a 6 hour tour and our ship departs at 6PM). Regent shows the cruise version departing at 10 AM. Our only option is the "thorugh the cruise line" price which gives the line a hefty mark-up.

Hello everyone !

We were supposed to go cave tubing in December with the Carnival Valor, but because of the tragic accident, the excursion was cancelled for an undetermined period.

My second best choice was the Raiders of the lost Mayan. It seems really fun but I had a couple of questions.

Do we get to really enjoy nature, see animals in the jungle etc. or it is so physically demanding that you're more on the go than anything ?

Also, my boyfriend is afraid of heights. I read that there was so suspended bridges and ziplines. Is there a lot of those ? Are they really high ?

Otherwise, is there another excursion that would be more convenient for us that someone may know of ?

Carnival Valor are charging 125 for this excursion.

Thanks !!

Artable - We saw bats in the cave, and we saw a big creepy, but cool spider. Of course we saw a lot of bugs and mosquitoes(bring bug spray). Probably will not see any other jungle animals. There were two zip lines, two suspension bridges, one repelling rope, crawling on your hands and knees and we also walked threw a pool of knee high water. I would not recommend it for your boyfriend if he is afraid of heights. If he is adventurous, he will love it. The zip line is quick, and if he is like my wife, who is also afraid of heights, will run across the bridge in record time. Enjoy.

I went to the tour operator and saw that it is 78.00 but YIKES Carnival has it for $125. Is there something else we are getting thats not in the 78 (transportation?) Is there anyway to do this and not go through the cruiselines.

We are on a very tight budget and want to do this but know if we can swing it at the $125 rate :-(

Melissa

feirlin@yahoo.com

Sailing on Carnival Glory Oct 18

My friend and I are signed up to do this excursion during our Oct 18 cruise on the Glory. I will be certain to come back here to write up a complete review and even include some pictures.

Though we almost always book our tours directly with the tour operator or just get a cab and do our own thing, for a tour like this we feel better booking through the cruise line even at the higher cost. Because we are so far away from the ship (an hour's drive each way) I don't want to risk missing the ship if something happens that delays us. Since we booked it through Carnival, the ship won't leave without us!

I am very excited about this excursion. I love the whole "active adventure" excursions and this fits the bill perfectly. Glad to see the one review here was positive!

DH and I along with 3 kids are hoping to do this tour in February. Hoping to see more detailed reviews too! We all love climbing, adventure etc. I'm not to thrilled about the giant spider (NO spider is "Cool" in my eyes, LOL), but I think bats are cool.

Are there many poisonous spiders/insects/snakes, etc? When is the rainy season when the pools are more likely to be deep?

Archived