Santorini - Car Rental

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 09:57 AM.
1,029 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
We'll be on the Zuiderdam when she drops anchor in Santorini on October 4. Does anyone know if you need an International Drivers License to rent a car there - or is your US state-issued license accepted?
WA State
6,794 Posts
Joined May 2007
When we were there in late May our regular state-issued license was fine. We brought that plus our proof of insurance, which covers car rentals.
Have a great cruise!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carolyn

Veendam, Montreal-Fort Lauderdale 2017; Infinity, Pacific Coastal 2017; Koningsdam, Eastern/Western Caribbean 2017;
Infinity, Pacific Coastal 2016; Veendam, Fort Lauderdale-Montreal 2016; Statendam, South America 2015; Westerdam, Pacific Coastal 2014; Eurodam, Baltic Adventure 2014; Infinity, British Isles 2014; Zuiderdam Pacific Coastal 2013; Noordam, Southern Caribbean 2013; Maasdam, Fort Lauderdale-Montreal 2012; Silhouette, Holy Land 2011; Amsterdam, Pacific Coastal 2010; Zaandam, Circle Hawaii 2010; Zuiderdam, Sunfarer Panama Canal 2009; Rotterdam, Med 2008; Volendam, Pacific Coastal 2007; Noordam, Pacific Coastal 2007; Rotterdam, Eastern Med and Egypt 2006; Amsterdam, Alaska 2004
Canada
25 Posts
Joined Aug 2008
We're going to be on the same cruise and are going to be renting a car in Santorini as well. I am looking into options. Have you made plans for Corfu and Argostoli? Am still trying to decide what we will do in those ports.
mass
843 Posts
Joined Jun 2007
Renting a car on Santorini was really easy. We had no reservations, just walked just off the main st and found a small rental company. We rented a Smart Car, (good choice), it was really cheap on gas, gets you arround the island easily, and can be parked in just about any spot.
1,029 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
Originally posted by lecobra70
We're going to be on the same cruise and are going to be renting a car in Santorini as well. I am looking into options. Have you made plans for Corfu and Argostoli? Am still trying to decide what we will do in those ports.
We think we can find enough in Corfu to do on foot reasonably close to the ship (we are big walkers), but Argostoli is still up in the air....
1,029 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
Please help me with "proof of insurance" - in NY, insurance companies give us certificates for each vehicle to be carried in the appropriate vehicle - but no general proof of insurance. Can you tell me what this is?

Thanks....
Napa Valley
1,355 Posts
Joined Aug 2007
Originally posted by lecobra70
Corfu has a beautiful old downtown to stroll around, lots of restaurants etc, but the island is gorgeous too, we drove around and stopped at several beaches, Argostoli, definitely rent a car, because there is nothing downtown, take a ride up north to Fiskardo, a gorgeous little port,and then let me know ,what you thought of it, regards, [email protected]
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

WA State
6,794 Posts
Joined May 2007
Originally posted by SabreSailor
Please help me with "proof of insurance" - in NY, insurance companies give us certificates for each vehicle to be carried in the appropriate vehicle - but no general proof of insurance. Can you tell me what this is?

Thanks....
That certificate would be fine, even a recent bill, just something that shows your name and insurance # to show them. We brought the email from USAA telling us that rental cars are covered, but then I tend to go overboard in worrying about everything

We reserved our car ahead of time mainly because there were lots of ships in port that day and we wanted to be sure to get one. May not have been necessary, but this goes along with my wanting to be sure of everything! lol.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carolyn

Veendam, Montreal-Fort Lauderdale 2017; Infinity, Pacific Coastal 2017; Koningsdam, Eastern/Western Caribbean 2017;
Infinity, Pacific Coastal 2016; Veendam, Fort Lauderdale-Montreal 2016; Statendam, South America 2015; Westerdam, Pacific Coastal 2014; Eurodam, Baltic Adventure 2014; Infinity, British Isles 2014; Zuiderdam Pacific Coastal 2013; Noordam, Southern Caribbean 2013; Maasdam, Fort Lauderdale-Montreal 2012; Silhouette, Holy Land 2011; Amsterdam, Pacific Coastal 2010; Zaandam, Circle Hawaii 2010; Zuiderdam, Sunfarer Panama Canal 2009; Rotterdam, Med 2008; Volendam, Pacific Coastal 2007; Noordam, Pacific Coastal 2007; Rotterdam, Eastern Med and Egypt 2006; Amsterdam, Alaska 2004
1,029 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
Originally posted by Cruising-along
That certificate would be fine, even a recent bill, just something that shows your name and insurance # to show them. We brought the email from USAA telling us that rental cars are covered, but then I tend to go overboard in worrying about everything

We reserved our car ahead of time mainly because there were lots of ships in port that day and we wanted to be sure to get one. May not have been necessary, but this goes along with my wanting to be sure of everything! lol.
Hi Carolyn -

I just spoke with USAA and they said that they don't cover rental cars in Europe - so I guess the best thing is to go with the rental agency's insurance....
WA State
6,794 Posts
Joined May 2007
Originally posted by SabreSailor
Hi Carolyn -

I just spoke with USAA and they said that they don't cover rental cars in Europe - so I guess the best thing is to go with the rental agency's insurance....
Oh, I am SO sorry. I just dug out our info, and now I remember. We asked USAA first, they said no, but our Visa through Navy Federal does cover it, as long as you use that credit card for the car and decline the rental agency's insurance. I'm so sorry for the wrong info.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carolyn

New York City, NY
2,059 Posts
Joined Jun 2006
Originally posted by Cruising-along
We brought the email from USAA telling us that rental cars are covered
Suggest you double check that coverage with USAA for future reference. Unless they have changed their policies recently, DOMESTIC rental car contracts are covered, but not International.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
SeaMatesNYC

Silver Spirit - #5138 RT FLL Xmas/New Years '11/'12 || Silver Cloud - 6/11 Italy/Greece || QM2 - 4X || HAL Zuiderdam || HAL Eurodam || QE2 || HAL Noordam 2X ||
Crown Princess 1X || Dawn Princess 2X || Island Princess 1X || Grand Princess 2X ||Star Princess 1X
WA State
6,794 Posts
Joined May 2007
Originally posted by SeaMatesNYC
Suggest you double check that coverage with USAA for future reference. Unless they have changed their policies recently, DOMESTIC rental car contracts are covered, but not International.
Right you are, my mistake. In post #10 above yours I said that I'd confused our USAA coverage with our Visa coverage through Navy Federal.

SabreSailor have you checked with your credit card company? Sometimes they cover foreign car rental insurance, as ours does.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carolyn