Where can I find STINGRAYS?

guntheros

I am looking for a port that we can swim with stingrays except for Grand Cayman. We have been to Grand Cayman and loved it. We are wanting to go on another cruise to DIFFERENT ports than our last cruise but want to swim with stingrays again. Anywhere else have a good stingray excursion?

Thanks!

Our next cruise goes to Antigua and we have booked Eli's Xtreme tour that includes some time swimming with stingrays. This tour has had good reviews - which is why we went for it. I believe the Grand Cayman guys helped to set up the Antiguan stingray centre. Hope this has helped! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Nassau offers stingray excursions but they are NOT worth it! The stingrays are in a pen and you swim with them in there. I was expecting something like GC, where the rays are swimming around in the ocean. It was a real disappointment after experiencing the stingrays in the wild.

I haven't tried swimming with the rays in Antigua. When we were there, we did the bird island tour, which was really nice. Snorkeled and saw cuttle fish, parrot fish, an octopus, and several other fish that I cannot name - but no stingrays. Then hiked around the island, had lunch, and came back to town.

We have been to the Cayman Islands and have done stingray city a few times. It is awesome. They are wild and appear when the boat arrives. They are always fed in the same area and when they see the boats, all you see are these black spots coming in from all around. It is on a shallow sand bar anywhere from 2' t 4' deep. You are not allowed flippers or water shoes so you do not hurt the stingray. You do what they call the stingray shuffle. They are docile and friendly. The tours I have been on they pick up a ray and let you hold them. They also let you touch and feed them. This is the chance of a lifetime to get up close and personal with on of natures beautiful creatures. If people are afraid of going, don't be. This is one excursion that should not be missed.

Done the stingray thing 4 times; twice in Grand Caymen and once each in Antigua and Nassau.

My favorite was GC, but if you want to really see them up personal Nassau is nice. Yes they're penned as are they in Antigua, but the difference is the water is so shallow since you walk in right from the beach, you can literally sit down in the water and have the stingrays glide right up to you. They also don't limit your time with the stingrays - I enjoyed it a lot. My least favorite spot was Antigua - while they do give you a bit of info about the stingrays it was VERY crowded and we had minimal time in with the stingrays.

In all of these places they will take pictures and give you the chance to hold one. A truely amazing experience.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
you can also encounter stingrays in their natural enviornment in Grand Turk at Gibbs Cay

The highlight of our first cruise was visiting the Stingrays on a HAL shore excursion Grand Turk. The stingrays were very used to people and to being fed.

We had a short trip from Grand Turk to a protected 'Stingray' island. There the boats reved their engines. The eager stingrays came running like little puppy dogs looking for attention (and food).

The black shadows in the water are stingrays:

cruise069.jpg

This is a picture of the stingrays as you would see them close up as they flirt with anyone in the water.

cruise077.jpg

This is a picture of the stingray protected island as we were sailing back to Grand Turk.

cruise087.jpg

Archived