Vancouver Hotel help

Hi

I am cruising out of Vancouver next year and am spending a few days in Vancouver before departing. Have checked the hotel booking websites but can't seem to decide on a hotel. Can someone please recommend/help with suggestions for a hotel in downtown Vancouver. I would like a moderately priced hotel within walking distance to shops, restaurants, sites...etc.

Any help would greatly be appreciated!!

Thx and happy cruising to all!

K

Although not a moderate price, we stayed at the Westin Grand for $207 Canadian. We loved it and thought that the hotel was more like a boutique hotel. We had a fabulous room and view from the 22nd floor. A corner suite with balcony and Heavenly bed & bathroom. The sunset from our room was "out of this world" beautiful! The entire suite was very spacious and also included two TV's and a kitchen center. The hotel was in the middle of everything within walking distance. It was just a block from the trolley and across the street from a Starbucks, drugstore and grocery store. Many places to eat around the hotel as well as a very good restaurant inside the hotel.

I would be glad to send you some photo's if you are interested.

http://www.westingrandvancouver.com/

Thank you to whoever on this web site recommended this hotel to me.:)

How far was the Westin from the port and the airport??

I went on the site and it looks really nice. I'm considering it for September..it's very confusing trying to pick a hotel when you don't have a clue and have never been there...Thanks!!!

Took us about 20 minutes from the airport to the hotel. We just walked out, grabbed a limo (they are readily available for around $30 one way) and we were off. The port was about 10 minutes. Once again, we arranged for the limo to pick us up in front of the hotel. They were able to bypass some cars, buses and taxi's to drop us off near the RCCL gate.

Our trip this past September was perfect! The weather cooperated so that we could do lots of walking.

I have not downloaded my pictures yet, but when I do so, I would be glad to email you a few of the hotel and our suite. I'll check back for an email address if you would like.

Hi: I live in Vancouver

The Hotel right at the cruise ship terminal is the Pan Pacific, very nice. Right across the street is the Fairmount Waterfront Centre also very nice but I think both are above moderate, but you would definately save in taxi fares and everything is in easy waking distance. Also very nice, within walking to the cruise ship terminal and Stanley Park, is the Bayshore Hotel.

Try and get something on Robson Street or Granville Street for a moderate costs.

If you want any information about a specific hotel I will be able to help you.

I agree that the Bayshore is a nice hotel as we have stayed there also. It is a Westin too! However, there is the waterfront construction going on and you have to be careful about where you stay. Remember that Vancouver has two piers. We sailed out of Ballentyne. No matter where you stay in relation to the pier, you will still have to take transportation to the pier unless you wish to carry your suitcases with you on the walk.:D

The Grand Westin is on Robson and a very central located.

I am bringing this to the top as there is a current post looking for into on Vancouver.

Besides the above mentioned hotels we liked the Coast Plaza on Comox Street. It is about 2 miles from Canada Place Pier and away from the downtow area. Its location is in the West End which is mostly residential.

A major advantage is that it two blocks from Stanley Park and English Bay beach. You can walk or bike for miles from the harbor around Stanley Park and on to English Bay and False Creek to the intersting market on Granville Island.

If you are looking for a budget hotel, stay away from those on Granville Street. Major chains have taken over older hotels and although they may be well run the district is seedy.

So far the Westin is our choice and the distances are OK also...place does look really nice and I like the limo idea...trying to convince my sister and her husband to come also...thanks all for the info you keep providing...

Yes, I'd love to see photos...My e-mail address is sgttami@yahoo.com.

Thanks....would also like suggestions on things to do in Vancouver..we're thinking of 2 nights before the cruise and maybe a night after..it will all depend on the flight times returning to NJ (preferably non-stop)if we do a post night stay. We did 2 nights in Ft. Lauderdale before our cruise in March and one night after. I could have skipped the one night after. By the end of the cruise I really didn't feel like packing and unpacking again for one night. Since we're not going till September I have plenty of time to work it all out...Thanks again....pam

You are welcome. Just hope it didn't take too long to download all 12!:eek:

grouchy is correct in that the city can be noisy. Up on floor 22, all we heard was fire engines and police cars. I may have already mentioned this, but we sleep with a "white noise" machine that drowns out most anything. Besides, after a busy day exploring, we were pooped!

Hi,

My husband and I just spent 4 nights in Vancouver before sailing on the Summit, September 20. We stayed at the Tropicana Suites which is located on Robson St. It was not fancy, but it was clean and well located to everything. It was $99.00 Canadian per night. It had a living room, small kitchnette, bath and bedroom. Like I said, it was not fancy, but clean. We walked everywhere from the hotel, even down to Gastown, which is a must see. There is a restaurant adjacent to the hotel that serves breakfast, lunch and dinner. Also, many fine restaurants along and just off Robson St. May I suggest eating breakfast at Der Dutch Pannekoek House just down the street from the hotel. They have the most outstanding pancakes. Hope you enjoy yourself, as we did.

• 3 weeks later...

I will be in Vancouver in May and will be renting a car so I am thinking about staying outside of the downtown area to save money. Can anyone tell me what areas/neighborhoods would be safe to stay in and where to stay away from.

Thank you

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'd like to stay over in Vancouver one night after southbound cruise in August. Celebrity is offering Hyatt at $148 PER PERSON that includes transfer from ship to hotel. Surely I can find something less costly downtown. Any idea about cab fare from pier to downtown hotels. And from downtown hotel to airport?

I'd like to stay over in Vancouver one night after southbound cruise in August. Celebrity is offering Hyatt at $148 PER PERSON that includes transfer from ship to hotel. Surely I can find something less costly downtown. Any idea about cab fare from pier to downtown hotels. And from downtown hotel to airport?
If your dates are firm, I urge you to try a Priceline bid for a 4* Vancouver hotel. The Hyatt and Mariott Pinnacle come up the most as winning bids (in the $60 - $80 range). Even if you don't want to use Priceline, there are cheaper alternatives to the cruiseline hotel/transfer packages.

Vancouver is very easy to navigate. Cab fare from ship to hotel: approx. $5-10; Cab: hotel to airport -about $30 Cdn; Shuttle: hotel to airport -$12.00pp.

ell

We will be staying at the Hyatt in Vancouver for $70 per night (not per person) in May. The Hyatt is close enough to the port that unless it is raining big old buckets we can even walk to the ship on embarkation day!! :)

• 1 month later...

We will be in Vancouver in September and my original choice of hotel was Westin Grand...on Robson and Homer. I thought it was a done deal...until

My sister said that she was looking at the Metropolitan on Howe Street and it looks like a better location to be able to walk to more places.

I'm confused.......her concern is that she wants to be able to leave the hotel and walk to stores, restaurants, etc.....I still want to go with Westin since it got very positive reviews from people on the boards who have been there..

Any ideas on the comparisons of these two places???????Thanks.

We want to book it this week...

They are both nice hotels.

There is very little difference in terms of convenience. The Met is only marginally closer to shopping, etc. If you're used to walking, then it shouldn't be much of a factor.

Take a look at this Downtown Vancouver map .

If you look at where the two hotels are; The Met (Howe, near Georgia) and The Grand (Robson & Homer), you can see that neither is that far from the shopping & entertainment areas (in yellow).

I think either would be fine. The Grand is across the street from the gorgeous public library if you're interested; and if fine dining is a plus for you, Diva at The Met is one of the city's best restaurants. :)

Good luck on your choice.

Archived