How safe is Playa Del Carmen?

sawbone

I have not heard of any violence in PDC recently. The border violence is a long way from there.

I have been to PDC three times and found it to be a very beautiful peaceful place. I felt just as safe there as I would in any US big city.

• 4 weeks later...

I've stayed at The Royal in Playa for Christmas week in 2008 and again in 2009. It may be a bit pricier than some other all inclusives in the area, but definitely worth it....the place is immaculate, the staff incredible, and the rooms are large and lovely. This is an adults only hotel; I believe the policy is no one under 16 years of age. Another benefit is that the hotel is right next to the town of Playa so you always have a walking destination.

As to safety.....there is an armed "presence"....soldiers on flatbeds patrolling the area. I have never experienced any sense of danger while walking from the hotel into town in the evening. One more plus....you can walk to the ferry to Cozumel or it's a very short cab ride. Each restaurant at the hotel was excellent, and only one required reservations. Hope this is helpful...........

We were in PDC last December, and found it to be one of the most beautiful places I've seen. We had a local guide who walked us down into the center of town and explained to us where the taxi stations were. My sister and I walked around most of the afternoon and found the people to be extremely pleasant and the town itself absolutely beautiful.

I would recommend it.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

PDC is safe, and fun but however to just be truthful I have been there 4 times. We always visit 5th Ave for the shopping. Most recently, after mexico decriminlized small amounts of drugs for personal use, the "pitch" to buy them from the locals is greater now then used to be. It seems about every 10 pedestrians that would walk past me on 5th Ave would try to sell me drugs ranging from cocaine to marijuana. It's somewhat disturbing but you have to develope thick skin and just brush it off. My wife started getting very upset and it kind of ruined our time there. We just left early, I would be mindful of kids if you bring them with you.

If you venture off of 5th Ave there isnt a whole lot to do if you dont know your way around. Most everything is right there. We go out of PDC now and go south to Tulum and a little north to the Maroma area where there are much less people.

Archived