Has anyone had this happen...

jobob

the TA takes away all or part of your OBC when there is a price drop? It has happened to me the last 3 cruises. I wouldn't be so bad, but when I check their website they are offering more OBC with the price drop price than I was getting at the original price. I have used this agency exclusively for myself and extended family bookings (currently we have 5 balcony cabins booked on the Mariner) since 1998. If it is common practice then I'll stop complaining...if not...it may be time to move my business elsewhere or book directly through the cruise line.

The TA's commission is based on how much the cruise costs. The OBC is based on their commission. If the price drops, the cruise does not cost as much, the TA doesn't get as much commission, and as a result, the OBC drops as well. That's how it was explained to me. Our OBC has dropped a few times when the price of our cruise has dropped.

As far as the TA offering more OBC for a lower price than what they offered you, can't explain that. Some of the other CC people will have to help you with that.

Tim

Unfortunately that is fairly common. It all depends on the TA. At least yours didn't charge you a change fee for the price drop AND take away your OBC. I've had that happen. I chalked it up as a learning experience and have mostly quit booking with TAs. Since you said they have more OBC posted on their website than you received, it would be worth a phone call to see what the difference is. It might be one of those specials to bring in new clients. Since you are an "established" client, you wouldn't be eligible.

I book directly with the cruiselines now and will occasionally post a request on the competition site just to see if there is anything worthwhile. Usually the TAs offer $50 or $100 OBC, which isn't enough to entice me to switch. I don't know where some people find TAs who are offering 10% of their fare as OBC. That would probably entice me, but I never have found it.

RCCL sets very strict rules about how much a TA can give in OBC, it is based on the BASE fare which is what you paid MINUS the taxes and fees and the NON-commisionable portion, so the amount they can base the obc is much less then you think. So if the fare goes down and they have to abide by the rules and lower the obc amount. Not sure the reasoning on the other amounts but sometimes they entice TA's to push certain sailings by offering higher commission on some sailings.

We had a price drop and instead of taking the price reduction, we just upgraded to a balcony that was just about $150 more per person than we paid for our inside cabin that was basically in the lowest category. I double checked to make sure that I would still receive my obc and was assured I will. I have everything basically documented in emails so there is no misunderstanding.

Archived