Does Honduras Unrest affect Belize travel

jaegan2

I believe that Belize had its own issues a few years ago. Roatan has always been risky to stop at, the cruise line's need to stay away from there again for a while.

I was just in Belize and Roatan. No reason I saw to stay away from either.

If there were serious safety issues, rest assured that no cruise lines would expose their passengers, crew and ships to them. Worrying about spillover of violence from one country to another seems to be more than a little paranoid without any real evidence of such occurrences. Might as well worry about violence in Tia Juana causing problems in San Francisco, since California borders Mexico.:rolleyes:

Belize isn't effected by it anymore than the US is.

Roatan (Bay Island of Honduras and Voyager of the Seas Port stop) is perhaps more of a legit concern, but even Roatan is so far unaffected by the problems in the mainland capital of Tegucigalpa.

Actually Roatan is really far enough from the mainland and is pretty independent of Honduras and the government. They have zero unemployment, while the mainland is in a shambles. The people of Roatan are not wealthy, but do well enough and count on the tourism to aid their economy. Any one who wants to work has no trouble finding work.

I really enjoyed Roatan and did the Pirates of the Caribbean extreme zipline and loved it.

I believe that Belize had its own issues a few years ago. Roatan has always been risky to stop at, the cruise line's need to stay away from there again for a while.

For those of us who have stopped in Roatan and had a wonderful time, I have to say I totally disagree with your assumption that it is not safe. So far, the problems on the mainland have not affected the island of Roatan and that is why the ships continue to dock there. In the past, when there have been demonstrations, it was similar to when Americans protest in our country. They protested an extremely high increase in electric bills and another time when they felt too many mainland workers were being used for island projects. These protests never harmed a single tourist that I have read about. They are just everyday people, trying to make a decent living on an absolutely beautiful and welcoming island.

I feel bad for the passengers, who travel all the way to this port and stay on the ship because they are too afraid to get off, because of misinformed posters.

Not to say, mainland problems will never affect the island, but so far it's business as usual.

No impact! Still one of the truly great dive and snorkel locales in the WHOLE WORLD!

DO not listen to those that panic without facts. The nation is stable! Remember the elected representatives and the nation's Supreme Court would not allow the ex-president to create a dictatorship. The 'unrest' comes from small bands in the capital, not on ROATAN!

Not sure about Roatan (never been)... however, my family is from Belize (majority of my family still lives there) and there really have never been issues there. For Belize City itself... you just need to be on slight alert when walking around (mainly for thief), like any "city" in the US or any other "city" around the world. Personally I find it no different than visiting New York City or living in Los Angeles... just be on slightly heightened alert of who is around you.

Countries may have problems, but believe me they keep the areas where tourism is heavy relatively safe. It's just like any major city in the US... stay on the main roads and you should be ok.

Jamaica has some of the worst crime in the Caribbean and Haiti is on of the most poverty stricken countries in the western hemisphere... cruise ships still stop there.

Also look at some of the places cruise ships stop in the Middle East....

Stay safe

Belize isn't effected by it anymore than the US is.

Roatan (Bay Island of Honduras and Voyager of the Seas Port stop) is perhaps more of a legit concern, but even Roatan is so far unaffected by the problems in the mainland capital of Tegucigalpa.

That's correct .... MOST of the problems are centered around Tegucigalpa. You should not have any problems in Belize.

Archived