Get Fit for Christmas - 10 lbs. in 12 weeks!

Stacey779

Okay, I realized today it's about 12 weeks until Christmas, and we'll be on a holiday cruise at that time. Yay! :D Now I just need to whip myself into shape! :o

About 3 years ago, I lost 40 lbs. I've been able to keep it off for the most part, but I recently started working from home so I find that it's becoming harder and I've gained a few pounds. I decided I need a "tune-up." So I'm trying to lose 10 lbs. before my Christmas cruise. Anyone else want to join me and get in shape before the holidays? You don't have to be going on a cruise - we can just be buddies for the next 12 weeks. :)

It sounds like that will be easy for you, that you pretty much know what you are doing. The problems I see (for me) is that it is sometimes hard to know how many calories you are taking in, especially at restaurants. I've lately found that you have to make sure you expend more than you take in to lose weight. If you take in more than you expend then you expand!

Please let us know how you do, though I'm already sure you'll do perfectly fine.

It sounds like that will be easy for you, that you pretty much know what you are doing. The problems I see (for me) is that it is sometimes hard to know how many calories you are taking in, especially at restaurants. I've lately found that you have to make sure you expend more than you take in to lose weight. If you take in more than you expend then you expand!

Please let us know how you do, though I'm already sure you'll do perfectly fine.

That's true - it's all about calories in/calories out! I think everyone has to find the right balance for them. What I do is count my calories and try to eat only 1500 a day, although I do give myself one day off per week (I have this day off so that we can go out to eat once a week and I don't have to worry about it, but I still try to order healthy items off the menu). I also work out 4-5 times a week. Even if I don't feel like doing a full work out, I make myself take a 30 minute walk just to do something. This is just what I do, but that doesn't mean it's right for everyone.

Would love to join you. We're not going on a Christmas cruise but have one coming up in February. We are visiting friends on Bald Head Island in North Carolina for New Year's. I'm down about 7 pounds in the the last month and would like to be down another 10 by Christmas; that would put me at or near my goal weight. I'm 5'5" and am tipping the scales now at 142. I'm 54. When I was younger I was 120 but I don't see that happening again - I like my wine too much and that was back when I could go without eating much of anything a couple of days a week.

Would love to join you. We're not going on a Christmas cruise but have one coming up in February. We are visiting friends on Bald Head Island in North Carolina for New Year's. I'm down about 7 pounds in the the last month and would like to be down another 10 by Christmas; that would put me at or near my goal weight. I'm 5'5" and am tipping the scales now at 142. I'm 54. When I was younger I was 120 but I don't see that happening again - I like my wine too much and that was back when I could go without eating much of anything a couple of days a week.

Sounds good! We'll try to do it together. :)

Hi Stacy:

Planning for the New Years trip to BHI, I promised myself that I wasn't buying a new dress. Went to have my hair cut today and had a 20% off coupon at Lord and Taylor. First thing - bought this dress, in red.

http://www.lordandtaylor.com/eng/WomensApparel-Dresses-Fishtail_Taffeta_Strapless_Gown-lordandtaylor/60571

It looks great, about 5 pounds it will be fabulous. There's no going back now. Walked 3 miles on the treadmill this morning and had fruit for breakfast. We're watching football now, Yankees and Rangers tonight. Hope you are enjoying your weekend.

Hi Stacy:

Planning for the New Years trip to BHI, I promised myself that I wasn't buying a new dress. Went to have my hair cut today and had a 20% off coupon at Lord and Taylor. First thing - bought this dress, in red.

http://www.lordandtaylor.com/eng/WomensApparel-Dresses-Fishtail_Taffeta_Strapless_Gown-lordandtaylor/60571

It looks great, about 5 pounds it will be fabulous. There's no going back now. Walked 3 miles on the treadmill this morning and had fruit for breakfast. We're watching football now, Yankees and Rangers tonight. Hope you are enjoying your weekend.

Wow, I totally love that dress! I guess that's good motivation. I've been toying around with the idea of buying a new swimsuit for motivation, but I haven't done it yet. One of my problems is I can't seem to find a store around here that sells them this time of year (not that I blame them - it's cold!). I guess I could order one on the internet.

So are you a Yankees fan? DH and I are big Red Sox fans, so we might have a rivalry going on here! :D

Yes, DH and I are Yankees fans, I've watched more games than he did this year! I guess they decided they didn't want to play the last few games; pitching awful, offensively not much better. Playoffs start Wednesday for us; can't wait. I lived in Boston for two years but grew up in NY; never got into the Red Sox. I suspect there will be a rivalry for the playoffs and further I'm sure. Newport News is having a great sail on bathing suits right now; I'm not big on their clothes but their swim suits are pretty nice and the quality is there. We have a pool so I have to have at least a couple of new ones every year and don't want to break the bank on them. Did another two miles on the treadmill today and this is the first time I've sat down since we got up. Beautiful day today, enjoying the G-men and we have the Jets at 4. We also get the Patriots which we are going back and forth to - Tom Brady just falls down to draw the foul. I'm not a fan....

We're Red Sox fans, but not Patriot fans, so I know exactly what you're saying about Tom Brady. The Red Sox have taken a few games off too - they just don't care about winning ever since they clinched the wild card. The other night they only had two starters and the rest of the team was basically people they'd called up from their AAA team, the Pawtucket Red Sox. I told DH I would have been mad if I'd paid good money to go to a game at Fenway and found out I was basically watching a minor league team. :eek:

It's a nice day here too. The weather forecast said it was supposed to rain until 4:00 p.m. but so far no rain and even some sunshine, so we went for a bike ride in Bristol. Normally I try to run about 4 times a week, but I think I'll substitute that bike ride for a work out today. :)

Okay, I realized today it's about 12 weeks until Christmas, and we'll be on a holiday cruise at that time. Yay! :D Now I just need to whip myself into shape! :o

About 3 years ago, I lost 40 lbs. I've been able to keep it off for the most part, but I recently started working from home so I find that it's becoming harder and I've gained a few pounds. I decided I need a "tune-up." So I'm trying to lose 10 lbs. before my Christmas cruise. Anyone else want to join me and get in shape before the holidays? You don't have to be going on a cruise - we can just be buddies for the next 12 weeks. :)

I also am going on a Cruise for Christmas and losing weight. I started dieting and working out Aug 14th and as of today I am already down 25 lbs. I am hoping to be down another 15-20 before we set said Dec 19th, if I lost more even better. This is something I will be continuing to do after the cruise too. I work out 5 days a week doing Turbo Jam workout and I try to eat about 1200-1300 calories a day and that seems to be working well for me so far.

I also am going on a Cruise for Christmas and losing weight. I started dieting and working out Aug 14th and as of today I am already down 25 lbs. I am hoping to be down another 15-20 before we set said Dec 19th, if I lost more even better. This is something I will be continuing to do after the cruise too. I work out 5 days a week doing Turbo Jam workout and I try to eat about 1200-1300 calories a day and that seems to be working well for me so far.

Wow, that is AWESOME! Congrats! It sounds like we have similar strategies - cardio workouts and limit the calories. I'm not sure if I could do only 1200-1300 because I'm hungry just limiting myself to 1500! :eek:

I weighed myself today and I'm down about 2 pounds, so I'm on a good pace. If I can lose more than 10 lbs. that would be great. I plan on staying on this diet until the cruise, so we'll see. I do, however, plan on taking a day off for Thanksgiving! :p

Hi Ladies: It's been a crazy week haven't been on at all. Down 1.5 pounds this week so I guess I'm doing something right. Stacy, looks like your Red Sox will pull out today's game!

Oh no! I think you jinxed us! :D I thought they would pull it out too, but no luck for the Red Sox this year. Truthfully though, I'd rather see them lose to the Angels than the Yankees, and they really weren't a world series caliber team this year anyway. I predict a world series with the Yankees and Dodgers. We'll see...

We went to visit some family this weekend in western Massachusetts, so I haven't worked out since Friday. I was pretty good about what I ate, but couldn't really count my calories like I usually do. Oh well, I'll be back on track tomorrow.

They kind of disintegrated - the Angels are tough, we'll see what happens next. I would love to see the Yankees/Dodgers and bring Joe Torre back to the stadium. That would be awesome. I took the day off today and am going up to the Mohegan Sun with a friend. Not really a holiday today, but the commuter trains run on a holiday schedule so it's a pain to get in. Today should be a pretty good day. Had a full day of games yesterday and drank more wine than I probably should have. Today's a new day. Have a good week.

Hi thought I would join you in the weight loss quest! Have read some of the other threads but they have been going on so long its hard to keep track of everyone. I have been trying to lose for some time now. I started doing Zumba and toning 1/2 hour each on Mondays, 1 hour of Zumba on Wednesdays, and my DH and I take a country couples dance class on Tuesday evenings. On the weekend we usually go dancing one night also. So I don't think its the exercise, its what I am putting in my mouth that is keeping me about 25 pound oveweight. Maybe we can all help each other.

Sharon

Hi thought I would join you in the weight loss quest! Have read some of the other threads but they have been going on so long its hard to keep track of everyone. I have been trying to lose for some time now. I started doing Zumba and toning 1/2 hour each on Mondays, 1 hour of Zumba on Wednesdays, and my DH and I take a country couples dance class on Tuesday evenings. On the weekend we usually go dancing one night also. So I don't think its the exercise, its what I am putting in my mouth that is keeping me about 25 pound oveweight. Maybe we can all help each other.

Sharon

Welcome to the thread! I think I have the same problem - I've been exercising regularly for the past three years, but still put on a few pounds recently. My problem is definitely food! It's hard for me because my husband seems to be able to eat whatever he wants and not gain a pound, but for me it's totally different. He stopped by the grocery store on his way home today and bought some Tollhouse ready-to-bake cookies. :eek: I've promised myself I won't eat any of them, but it's hard when one person is on a diet and the other isn't. So hopefully we can all help each other keep our will power! :)

We don't have a cruise booked yet, but bought the NCL cruise rewards certificate on our last cruise. There are alot of really good deals going on right now but haven't decided on anything specific. On our last cruise I actually lost a couple of pounds. I think it was because when I am home all day I tend to snack on the wrong (chocolate) foods. When on the cruise I ate the 3 meals and that was it. I am trying to cut down on carbs since that seems to be one of the big culprits in not losing weight, and the more carbs you eat, the more you want. Can't believe that Christmas is so close!

Hi Everyone;

Just booked the hotel our cruise in February out of Miami - we're going one day before, hopefully will get some sun prior to getting on the ship. I'm down another pound this week. Was home sick for 3 days. Now my husband has it. Watched our yankees win last night and are looking for another win tonight before heading to the west coast. It was beautiful this morning here in CT but now its clouding up. I hope they get the game in!

Hi All,

I'd like to join your group. I have been slowly but surely whittling myself down to where I would like to be. I am 5'5" and 55 years old. I started last year at 145. :eek: My goal for the year was 130. I hit my goal before we went on vacation in May but let my weight creep back up a bit. I ended the year at 136. I'm kind of in the same boat this year. My goal for the year is 125. I got down to 129 :) before our cruise in August but am back up to 133 so I've got 8 lbs to go for the year.

I joined Curves in April and worked out religiously 3/week prior to our cruise. I also tried to do the treadmill for at least 30 minutes 6/week. Before our cruise I was keeping a food diary and limiting myself to 1300 calories/day.

Since our cruise, I am finding it very hard to get motivated. :o We are planning to spend the winter in Florida so would like to be in bathing suit shape by January. I bought a Wii and have been doing Wii Fit for 30 minutes/day. I have also started the 30 day challenge on the Wii Active game. I like the programs.

I need a group to keep me accountable. Do you all have a weekly weigh-in? If so, what day do you weigh-in?

Cate what hotel did you book in Miami? Looks like you have something great to look forward to in February! Bardstown traveller welcome, you have been doing really great losing even though it tends to go up a bit. That is the hard part keeping it off. I would love to spend the winter in Florida. It has been so cold and rainy here the last few weeks. As far as I know we don't have a weigh in, but am new to the group also. We are going out to dinner tonight and then have a bus trip with our local bank scheduled to leave on Tueday and get back on Saturday. The trip is to Branson Missouri with most of the meals included so it will be difficult to pass up. Sharon

It helps me to report my weight. I usually weigh on Friday so that is when I will report.

Welcome to the group, bardstowntraveller! We don't really have a weekly weigh-in, but I think that could be helpful. I'll try to report mine on Fridays too, but if others are not comfortable with reporting then that's ok too.

How do you like your Wii Fit? I've been thinking about getting one, primarily for the yoga. It's starting to get really cold here and I know I won't be outside running once it starts snowing!

Hi Rose, and everyone else!

After a lot of looking and checking we (well I) decided on The Fountainbleau. It's pricey but after the recent renovation the property looks great. We're only there one night and we get in very early on the day before. We can hit the pool right away and perhaps get an early check in. Great bars and restaurants right there. It's pricey but it's only one night. We are really looking forward to that trip, we'll be gone just shy of 2 weeks. We have sailed Oceania once before (to the Med) and really loved it. This trip does 9 beach ports in 12 days, most of which we've been to but this trip is really to get out of the cold Northeast in February. By the time we get back, the worst will be over, hopefully. Do you have a cruise planned?

Hi All,

I'd like to join your group. I have been slowly but surely whittling myself down to where I would like to be. I am 5'5" and 55 years old. I started last year at 145. :eek: My goal for the year was 130. I hit my goal before we went on vacation in May but let my weight creep back up a bit. I ended the year at 136. I'm kind of in the same boat this year. My goal for the year is 125. I got down to 129 :) before our cruise in August but am back up to 133 so I've got 8 lbs to go for the year.

I joined Curves in April and worked out religiously 3/week prior to our cruise. I also tried to do the treadmill for at least 30 minutes 6/week. Before our cruise I was keeping a food diary and limiting myself to 1300 calories/day.

Since our cruise, I am finding it very hard to get motivated. :o We are planning to spend the winter in Florida so would like to be in bathing suit shape by January. I bought a Wii and have been doing Wii Fit for 30 minutes/day. I have also started the 30 day challenge on the Wii Active game. I like the programs.

I need a group to keep me accountable. Do you all have a weekly weigh-in? If so, what day do you weigh-in?

Welcome! Our stats are almost identical, down to age (I'm 54) weight and height. I did Curves for almost 2 years 3 days a week; it was a mile down the road from our house, but they closed now, so I mostly do the treadmill and weights. We have a Wii and my nieces bought me the Wii Fit for Christmas last year but I have yet to cook it up:eek: Really should do that but there seems to be so little time. We live in CT and I work in NYC; I'm gone from 6 to 6, do the treadmill before I leave for work and by the time I get home I just want to collapse. There is a new yoga place that opened that I'm thinking about, we'll see, if I can squeeze it in.

Stacey779 I have been looking at the WI fit also. The last cruise we were on they had it and everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves. I never got to do it because so many wanted to. The price just came down $50 also, so I think I might have to get one. Hope we can get it attached to the tV, not so tech savy! We don't have a cruise lined up yet but will be looking soon. I am a little older than you "girls". I'm 5'3" and 66. Wow I never usually tell anyone that. I have always been very active even with all the aches and pains seems it helps to keep moving. I can also weigh in on Fridays, not a bad idea.

Sharon

Archived