Discover card rewards

Quick question for any of you who may have the Discover credit card:

Discover credits 1% (I think it's1%) of your purchases to an account, which you can use for various rewards. You can DOUBLE your credits by purchasing a Royal Caribbean gift certificate. The maximum amount is $80 -- so you would recieve $160 credit towards your cruise -- new bookings only, cannot be credited towards an already-exisiting booking. The cruise can only be booked through TourAid Travel Cruise, a company I know nothing about.

Has anyone done this? I'm thinking it's a good use of my rewards credits, but I'd love to hear someone else say they've done it.

If you read the fine print you have to book with a specific travel agent to use Discover's coupon. That travel company may or may not give you a price as low as another travel agent thus negating the savings. Before you use your "cash back" bonus you may want to get a quote from their travel agent and compare it to quotes from other travel agents.

We are doing this for the first time with our Feb 3rd cruise. We are doubling $140 since we are on a 15 day cruise. Yes, do your homework first about prices because you do have to use the one certain TA agency and I wasn't overly impressed with their willingness to go after perks etc. We found the deals and then told them about it. Another thing is that you have to get the cashback certificate early and then mail it to them. Then you still pay for the whole total and they will send/credit your account on the day that you sail. Does any of this make sense? Let me know if you have other questions.

Archived