Easter Island

sej67

Anyone been? Any advice? Not many posts on it. I'm planning to go after a BA to Valpo cruise and spend 2 nights there. Is that enough time? Besides the stone things (I forget what they're called) it looks like about the only other major thing to see is the volcanos.

I spent two lovely days on Easter Island in 2007 with a lovely lady called Maria. Her home is on the island, but she spent many years in the US and will be delighted to be your guide, if required. It's necessary to contact her through her daughter, Jannete Kadzban whose e-mail address is jannete@comcast.net

Trudi

I was in Easter Island this past January. I strongly recommend three nights on the island. That gives you two full days and one half day for touring. You need the time. A fourth night would be nice. Hotels are inexpensive and after flying all the way there you don't want to shortchange yourself.

If you have any questions let me know. I'm out of town for a couple of days but will be glad to answer more fully when I get back.

The volcanos are extinct and they are part of the cultural experience. One is at the southern tip of the island and is the center of an ancient ceremonial village. The other one is at the North end and is the main quarry for the moais (amazing sight - the moais seem to be popping out of the ground like mushrooms!)

Basically, there are two full-day excursions and a couple of half days. Also there are horseback riding tours, etc.

Check this website for EI info.

http://islandheritage.org/ Go to the "Visitor Guide" link.

And this one for tours, etc. I booked my excursions through them and they were excellent.

http://www.visitchile.com/eng/tours/tour.asp?id-tour=CAK004

We booked our own tickets with LAN.com and used the VisitChile.com agency to book us the hotel and tours as in the 4 day/3 night itinerary. If you compare it to the other options offered, you'll see that this one covers everything that "must" be seen. Extra time would be nice, but one night less would cut out really interesting things and would not save you much money. Besides, you take a big chance if there are any flight delays, because you would not have time to see much. The really expensive part of any trip to EI is the airfare, so use it well.

We payed a little extra to have private tours, although the bus tours are small vans. We wanted to check out a couple of extra places and take our time.

We stayed at the Hotel Otai. All island hotels are very clean. but basic. (Except for the Explora which is very expensive and isolated.) The town is cute with some really good restaurants. There is a Polynesian dance group thet puts on an excellent show, and a couple of restaurants that offer the "curanto" or "hangi" Polynesian barbecue.

Read a little more about the island and what it offers and ask me any other questions.

Archived