Danube River cruise - Avalon vs. AMA - and which month?

CJcruzer

I think I have narrowed down the Danube cruise to either AMA Waterways or Avalon's Blue Danube Discovery (14 days).....(Budapest - Prague or visa versa - does it matter which way?)

late April, mid May - or possibly late August - what would be best?

Our trips have been in the April and May timeframes. There aren't as many tourists and not as many river boats. I find it is a nice quiet time of year. From talking with others, August is nice for the temperatures but the streets are crowded. And, there is a greater possibility of having to dock beside another ship. I'll be interested to see what others say about this.

I don't think you can ever be sure about rain, or lack of it. I did the Danube on Avalon, Budapest to Prague, in May, several years ago but there was so much rain, they couldn't get under the bridges for the Regensburg & Nuremburg stops. They kept us onboard and bused those who wanted to go. So that's the problem with too much rain! Also, it was cool and I think I only sat on deck once - all bundled up. Great, great trip, though! Just finished a Seine trip and it was sunny and beautiful, perfect every day but one. The river cooperated - plenty but not too much water, and we spent some part of every day on the deck. I would avoid summer because of crowds. Of course right now there is trouble on the Rhine with too little water. I think you just have to pick the time of year that works best for you, and go with an attitude that it will be fun whatever happens!! That's river-cruising.

We did the Legendary Danube Prague to Budapest in late August on the AMA Amadante. We loved, loved, loved it in every respect. You can read my review under the Member Reviews. Happy to answer any questions via e-mail jgarrett@hlcapital.com.

This was our first river cruise and we are now thinking the Rhine!

I just finished the AMA trip from Budapest to Amsterdam on 09-19. The river was getting really low in some spots but the weather was perfect. I think you just have to pick whats right for you and go with it. There is nothing more spectacular than a warm day on the deck sailing down the river, it really gets no better than that. Love AMA Amelagro. Hope this helps

Candy

I just finished Avalon's Blue Danube trip from Budapest (9/25/09) to Prague (10/7). Water was low but [barely] passable to Regensburg; fortunately we made it. Weather was wonderful every day (but rain would've been good for the river not the tourists). I loved Avalon. Perfect in every way! Any questions, email me at

on the rim (one word) AT hotmail dot com

Archived