Things to do near ports in Mazatlan & Cabos

coolkayan

Hello,

We'll be taking a cruise to the Mexico Riviera and I'm wondering if there are much to do within walking distance of the ports in Mazatlan and Cabos. I'm guessing mostly will be shopping. We just want to relax and might not do any excursions. Any advise would be helpful, thanks!

Matzalan has excellent waliking tours. Almost everything besides the "Golden" shopping areas are withing walking distance. Once you walk out of the marina area, with cab drivers galore, it's a safe 15 minute walk to the old town square. There, check out the church, shops and unforgettable food market. Another 10 minute stroll to the shore takes you to see the cliff divers. Careful with your personal belongings because the crowds bottleneck in that area. In the "Golden" shopping area, there is not much to see anyway. Nice beachside restaurants for some seafood and cold drinks overlooking the shore...THAT'S IT. If you really want to go there, it's a $20 cab ride. A large group can opt for the back of those covered pickup truck cabs.

Cabo is a peaceful boring stop. Beautiful marina town but not much else. Same things as any port in Mexico. Vendors galore pushing merchandise everywhere. Los Arcos is a nice boat ride to see it up close and spot some seals. Do not pay for the ship's tour groups to Los Arcos. I think they charge $40 per person. Walk around the port and there will be hundreds of people hocking better deals for the same thing. Some as low as $5 a person. $10-$15 seem to be the average in my talks with fellow passengers. DO NOT LET THE SHIP RIP YOU OFF.

Another thing about Cabo is be careful on the Pacific side of Los Arcos. The waves are so strong they will pull you out to sea in an instant. And most are not strong enough swimmers to fight it. TRUST ME WITH YOUR LIFE ON THIS!

Both ports have many people that speak English so communication and bargaining is not an issue. Take your time and you'll have an economical good time.

In Cabo you can do the dolpin swim. Love that & it is just a quick 5 minute walk from where the tender drops you off. I do ship excursion for it and it well worth the money. After the swim, you can walk along the marina to the various shops and restaurants and bars. There is a mall too on the other side of the marina. Or as other posters have said you can walk (long) or take a water taxi to beach.

Mazatlan has a great Brewery tour that was really a lot of fun for us. But if you just want to hang out without spending much money, they have trams outside that take you to the little shopping area near the ship. Various shops, cantinas to have a cerveza and back to the ship. Once I did the brewery tour and the other time I just went to the little shopping area and back to the boat for a relaxing day. The Pacifico Brewery tour had a little tour of the town while drinking beers along the route by the cliff divers etc. I learned I like Pacifico better than Corona since they make both there I had my fill of each.:D

I've been to the Mexican Riviera 7 times on cruises and have never been bored in Cabo. I love all the ports there. If you get seasick it probably isnt a good idea to take the boat out to Los Arcos but you can see it from the marina area. Not sure what you like to do but you can walk the marina (yes there are vendors - just say no thanks and keep walking). there are many restaurants along the marina. Solomon's Landing is good. If you walk a few blocks in from there there are shops and malls to go through. I find it a very relaxing day to explore a few shops, eat some food in the marina, have a few drinks and look at the beautiful scenery. I've also done much more active excursions there as well. I always have a good day in Cabo.

I've been to all those three ports several times; and, we've learned how to enjoy them at little or no cost, while seeing more of the real area and its culture (for better or worse, depending on your viewpoint).

Cabo San Lucas. We always walk to Solmar Beach via the lobby of the Hotel Solmar, and go south to the end of the beach for a little sunning. There is no charge for passing through the hotel. In fact, they seem to welcome anyone who visits. The recent-most time a Mexican father and son asked us if we wanted to be shown how to go the Honeymoon Beach (which is an "excursion" for the cruise lines). I always thought that one could get there if you don't mind a little bit of "boulder hopping." We politely declined, but they continued on over the rocks. I later climbed to the top of the "first bit of rocks," which revealed that it would take another bit of boulder hopping to actually get to that beach. We usually spend an hour or two on the beach, which is almost vacant of people, before going back to the hotel. At any rate, we usually go back to the Hotel Solimar for a couple of fish tacos and a beer before returning back to the ship. To get to Solmar Beach, just go towards the Pacific Ocean off of the cruise dock (it's only about 1/4 mile). We saw whales off of Cabo, plus I witnessed a stingray leaping and flipping near the ship on one trip on the Golden Princess.

Mazatlan. On one visit, we walked the approximately one mile to the Pacifico/Corona brewery, where we were given a very inclusive tour, followed by a beer at the "top of the tower" lounge. They also gave each of us a small momento brochure with our picture included. Cost ..........zero, plus some good exercise. In a prior visit, we just walked to the cathedral for a self-tour, followed by some local window shopping. The Princess ships seems pretty liberal in allowing passengers to bring beverages purchased ashore back onto the ship. One man in our brewery tour hauled four quarts of Pacifico back to the ship. We only took one.

On our most recent trip we walked westerly out of the dock area (crossing the divided road just outside the dock). We just headed southwest to the hill that we could see about 1/2 mile away. It got much less crowded immediately. We walked past two of three schools that were in session, encountering the old custom house. We then walked southerly to the end of the port area (only a couple of blocks), until we found the surf zone of the coast. Very scenic. Nice homes on the hillside. We then followed the coast road around the hill to the old town of Mazatlan. A nice art museum, museum of archeology, internet cafes, non-expensive restaurants and bars. We bought some jewelry; and, then had a couple of 15 peso beers before walking back to the ship. There was much more to see in that area that we didn't have time to visit. We'll save that for our next visit. We used to think that Mazatlan was not worth leaving the ship for; but, have changed our minds.

Puerto Vallarta Puerta Vallarta is very charming, and an easy bus ride (cost about 50 cents each way - 5.5 pesos) from the main highway just outside the public dock area. Take the "Centro" bus, which goes as far as the old plaza before turning around. On returning look for the "Walmart" bus. Some of the drivers are obviously insane; so, you'll probably get an exciting bus ride. There is also a Sam's Club and Walmart across the highway from the dock. The old town center has great walking, shopping, nice beaches and the old cathedral. We have also just walked south along the beach from the dock and relaxed on lounges at the many resort hotels along the beach. Once we are in the old part of town we sometimes walk up the very steep side streets, where lovely and interesting homes are located. On our last visit we met a local expatriate, who recommended a Spanish tapa restaurant about two blocks away (up the hill a couple of blocks, and off the regular tourist path). We spent $20 for two good Mexican beers, lunch for two, and tip. A nice quiet place. There is decent shopping in town, although you don't find many real gargains. Prices for most goods are cheaper in the states than in Mexico, except for things like leather goods, shoes, and other things that you might not find at home.

Of the three ports we thought that Mazatlan has the best art displays.

Archived