Some people are selfish AND insensitive

tea4ular

I know for fact there are many people out there that utilize the HC parking spaces without a real need. I see them all the time (jumping out of their big-arse pickup truck and jogging to their destination, etc.). I know there are people out there that will scheme and scam their way to a bigger/better/front row...whatever...I just find it rude and insensitive to do so.

Just because someone has a "big arse" pickup truck does not mean they are not disabled. I am disabled and I drive a big arse pick up, a Ford F150 King Ranch. It is actually easier for me to get in and out of that than a standard sedan since it has handles and a running board.
I think tea4ular was trying to highlight the jumping and jogging part, not necessarily the truck. However, I admit that I raise my eyebrows when I see someone pull into an HC parking spot in their jacked-up, F250 4X4 with the 30" wheels, jump out (have to jump from that height ;)), and go dashing for the mall. There's nothing wrong with a disabled person being in a truck. I have a Tacoma, my dad and nephew both have Rangers, and my sis has an Expedition. If my mom wants to go anywhere, most of the time she has to get into a truck. OK, so a little boosting is required. I've never seen her jump (slide out maybe), and the only "jogging" she does is when I'm pushing the wheelchair faster than she likes. :D

Wow. I've just finished reading this thread and the one regarding people with Autism cruising. I work with people (young adults and children) with all sorts of developmental disabilities. Some use wheelchairs for mobility, some do not. I always dream of the individuals i work with going on vacation (especially cruising, since i love to cruise). I never would have thought that people who do not need HC rooms would book them for extra space. It is such a shame. I think that as society has grown, and people have slowly (very slowly) made accommedations for people of different abilities. More and more people are traveling, cruising, trying new things and the facilities have not kept up with the demand. There's no longer enough HC rooms so it seems. I often take individuals who use wheelchairs for mobility out in vans/cars and find that all the HC parking is used. I am beginning to think there needs to be more HC accommidations. Of course, it's much easier to add more HC parking than HC rooms on a ship. Maybe someday, there will be enough.

Out of curiousity, does anyone know if there are more HC rooms on the newer ships that are coming out these days??

(hope no one minds the long post. i guess i'm just passionate about the people I support and surprised and saddened to hear the difficulties that people have in booking HC rooms when they need it.)

Out of curiousity, does anyone know if there are more HC rooms on the newer ships that are coming out these days??

I'm most familiar with Royal Caribbean's ships. They have added more HC cabins over the years. For example, Monarch of the Seas, built in 1991 has 4 HC cabins, Radiance of the Seas, built it 2001, has 15 HC cabins, and Liberty of the Seas, built in 2007, has 30 HC cabins. I'm pretty sure that the other cruiselines have made similar additions to the quantity of HC cabins available.

Well, the answer is about half and half. Some cruise lines such as Crystal have not increased their number of HC rooms per ship although the age of their customers continues to increase while RCL and some of the other mass market lines have done so, but

Not in proportion to the number of rooms in total on their new build ships!

The ratio has stayed much the same, it is just that the total number of rooms has increased.

Many famous travel WEB sites have topics and postings that actually encourage AB's to book HC rooms for the space and features!

So the competition is on for the HC rooms as never before. Most accute on the ships going to Alaska in 2010 and 2011.

Wow. I've just finished reading this thread and the one regarding people with Autism cruising. I work with people (young adults and children) with all sorts of developmental disabilities. Some use wheelchairs for mobility, some do not. I always dream of the individuals i work with going on vacation (especially cruising, since i love to cruise). I never would have thought that people who do not need HC rooms would book them for extra space. It is such a shame. I think that as society has grown, and people have slowly (very slowly) made accommedations for people of different abilities. More and more people are traveling, cruising, trying new things and the facilities have not kept up with the demand. There's no longer enough HC rooms so it seems. I often take individuals who use wheelchairs for mobility out in vans/cars and find that all the HC parking is used. I am beginning to think there needs to be more HC accommidations. Of course, it's much easier to add more HC parking than HC rooms on a ship. Maybe someday, there will be enough.

(hope no one minds the long post. i guess i'm just passionate about the people I support and surprised and saddened to hear the difficulties that people have in booking HC rooms when they need it.)

HAL's newer ships, the Vistas, have 28 HC cabins, I believe. I remember the number being slightly lower for the Signature Class Eurodam.

The older ships do have fewer HC cabins. We were looking at Maasdam and there were only a handful.

The person in the "big-arse pickup" might have MS and be having a good day, only to get extremely fatigued and have to drag himself back to his parking spot later.

Or maybe he was picking up someone who was in a wheelchair. When I used to pick up DH at the airport - when he was still able to get by with a cane or walker - I would park in a HC space. I checked; I was not breaking the law!

Another thing to consider: Maybe he dropped off a person who was walking with a cane or walker. When the weather is bad, I've dropped DH off close to the store, then parked in a HC space, knowing that when we leave the store he will probably just accompany me to the car ...

You should see the looks I get when we're shopping at Christmas - I leave him in the mall to go put some bags in the car. [He can't help carry them, so I have no choice.] So there I am, an able-bodied [to look at me] person parked in a HC spot ... because anyone judging me does not know that I came with a person in a wheelchair!

I think tea4ular was trying to highlight the jumping and jogging part, not necessarily the truck. However, I admit that I raise my eyebrows when I see someone pull into an HC parking spot in their jacked-up, F250 4X4 with the 30" wheels, jump out (have to jump from that height ;)), and go dashing for the mall. There's nothing wrong with a disabled person being in a truck. I have a Tacoma, my dad and nephew both have Rangers, and my sis has an Expedition. If my mom wants to go anywhere, most of the time she has to get into a truck. OK, so a little boosting is required. I've never seen her jump (slide out maybe), and the only "jogging" she does is when I'm pushing the wheelchair faster than she likes. :D

I understand but I get my hackles up when someone makes a comment about disabled and pick ups especially on a disability forum. I've endured the stares and the comments.

As disabled people, we know what works best for us and, for me, a pick up or similar vehicle works best since I do have good upper body strength but minimal strength in my legs. Being able to use the combination of the handle and running board makes getting in and out much easier. We did have to buy something smaller (an Escape) but that was more for my mother than me.

When I had my third hip replacement (no, I don't have 3 hips, the left one has been replaced twice :)), my husband picked me up at the hospital in the F150. The security guard said to my husband "she'll never get in there" and my husband said "yes, she will, watch her". The guards mouth dropped open as I grabbed the handle, put my good leg on the running board and got right in.

I understand but I get my hackles up when someone makes a comment about disabled and pick ups especially on a disability forum. I've endured the stares and the comments.

As disabled people, we know what works best for us and, for me, a pick up or similar vehicle works best since I do have good upper body strength but minimal strength in my legs. Being able to use the combination of the handle and running board makes getting in and out much easier. We did have to buy something smaller (an Escape) but that was more for my mother than me.

When I had my third hip replacement (no, I don't have 3 hips, the left one has been replaced twice :)), my husband picked me up at the hospital in the F150. The security guard said to my husband "she'll never get in there" and my husband said "yes, she will, watch her". The guards mouth dropped open as I grabbed the handle, put my good leg on the running board and got right in.

I truly apologize if my comment was taken incorrectly. My mom uses a wheelchair due to severe rhumatoid arthritis that has eaten away the joints from her hips down. I know what she goes through on a daily basis. I would never intentionally make a disparaging comment about disabled people. My comment about raising my eyebrows when I see someone pull into an HC parking spot in their jacked-up, F250 4X4 with the 30" wheels and jump out was referring to a mud runner type truck, like the attached photo. I am 6-ft tall with no disabilities, but have a hard time climbing into a truck with a 30" lift kit installed. Maybe I need to be more open minded.

offroadexpospring5.jpg

I did not mean to imply that being in a regular (non-jacked or even slightly jacked) truck makes someone less likely to be disabled than anther person. I own a Toyota Tacoma, which is a small pickup. My mom had ridden MANY times in my truck, as well as in my dad's, nephew's, and sister's trucks. I live in Texas - almost everyone has at least 1 truck in their family. Again, apoligies for any unintended offensive comments.

I truly apologize if my comment was taken incorrectly. My mom uses a wheelchair due to severe rhumatoid arthritis that has eaten away the joints from her hips down. I know what she goes through on a daily basis. I would never intentionally make a disparaging comment about disabled people. My comment about raising my eyebrows when I see someone pull into an HC parking spot in their jacked-up, F250 4X4 with the 30" wheels and jump out was referring to a mud runner type truck, like the attached photo. I am 6-ft tall with no disabilities, but have a hard time climbing into a truck with a 30" lift kit installed. Maybe I need to be more open minded.

offroadexpospring5.jpg

I did not mean to imply that being in a regular (non-jacked or even slightly jacked) truck makes someone less likely to be disabled than anther person. I own a Toyota Tacoma, which is a small pickup. My mom had ridden MANY times in my truck, as well as in my dad's, nephew's, and sister's trucks. I live in Texas - almost everyone has at least 1 truck in their family. Again, apoligies for any unintended offensive comments.

No need to apologize, I had no issue with your comment and realized you were just trying to clarify what the commenter said. I was just explaining why the first person's comment about the pick up truck got to me. I've really had people tell me that I can't possibly be disabled if I can get in and out of my F150 (which is somewhat bigger than your average F150). One time, when someone made a comment, I had shorts on and actually pulled the sides up and showed them the scars I have.

I prefer a big pick up to a big SUV for that reason. Love those running boards.

Yes, we do. I really do love running boards. I even have them on the Escape. We bought it used but luckily it already had the running board option. I still have the F150 but it's in the shop getting a new engine.

For the last few days I've had to drive my husband's Mustang (long story). I'm in so much more pain from getting in and out of that low car.

I noticed Oceanwench's post that she parks in HC spots to drop-off or pick-up her disabled husband. If I don't have my mom in the truck with me, even if I'm picking her up, I never park in an HC spot. I'll park at the VERY end of a row or in some cases two spots so I can make sure there is enough room to get her wheelchair around the side. Anyway, I was researching to see if it was legal or not for me in Texas to park in an HC spot to pick her up since it would make things easier. I didn't find a conclusive answer to that question. However, I did find out that deafness is a disability that qualifies you to park in an HC spot. I don't know why that never occurred to me. I guess someone parking in an HC spot with their jacked up truck with a 30" lift kit could be deaf and legally qualified to park in that spot. I guess I DO need to be more open minded. :o

I noticed Oceanwench's post that she parks in HC spots to drop-off or pick-up her disabled husband. If I don't have my mom in the truck with me, even if I'm picking her up, I never park in an HC spot. I'll park at the VERY end of a row or in some cases two spots so I can make sure there is enough room to get her wheelchair around the side. Anyway, I was researching to see if it was legal or not for me in Texas to park in an HC spot to pick her up since it would make things easier. I didn't find a conclusive answer to that question. However, I did find out that deafness is a disability that qualifies you to park in an HC spot. I don't know why that never occurred to me. I guess someone parking in an HC spot with their jacked up truck with a 30" lift kit could be deaf and legally qualified to park in that spot. I guess I DO need to be more open minded. :o

I do know that in NY it's legal as long as the disabled person is in the vehicle. If we are shopping but hubby is driving we can park in a HC spot. Most times though, he will drop me off, park the car and then get the car to pick me up.

I might drop off my husband, if it is raining, but I park in a HC spot because when I return to the van, it is most likely that he will be coming with me -- not waiting for me to pick him up.

Also, we need a van-accessible HC spot, because we have a side ramp that lowers, so he can drive into the van. A regular parking space doesn't allow for that.

I will not park in "two spots" to accommodate our van and ramp. I did that only once - at a college honors ceremony we were attending for our daughter, when all the HC spaces were taken. Came out to find some self-righteous @$$ had keyed our van.

Here is another thing I do: If I am running in to a store or something, and he is staying in the van, I park in a HC spot. WHY? Well, I never used to, but then we talked about it -- what if something were to happen and he needed to get out of the car? He would be trapped if we were in a regular space and there was a car next to us. The only way he can get out of the van is to swivel his passenger side seat and transfer to his powerchair.

As far as the legality of parking in an HC spot at an airport, when going to pick him up -- I asked a police chief. He read me the law.

Seems to me this topic is combining two topics: Need

for a Handicap Accessible Cabin and Handicap Parking !

There are different regulations among the states

re requirements for a handicap parking placard.

This should not be compared with the need for

a handicap accessible cabin, in my opinion.

For instance, several years ago - based on my

physical disability, my personal physician suggested

it was necessary for me to obtain a placard for

parking in handicapped parking spaces. At that

time I was able to walk with crutches - for a limited

amount of time and/or distance. As my doctor

pointed out - he wanted me to walk when I could,

but realized I would find myself in too much pain when

returning to my vehicle to walk across a large parking lot .

However, even though I was entitled to a placard

to park in a handicap marked parking space - I

certainly didn't need a handicapped accessible cabin.

Over the years, my condition has worsened, and I

now use a power wheelchair. Obviously I

need a handicapped accessible cabin. And

as others have pointed out - it is almost always

necessary to book even a year early to book

a cabin to meet my needs.

So - perhaps this category could stick to the

topic of handicap accessible cabins. Let's

not dispute the need/use of a handicap accessible

placard for parking spaces .

I don't know if I was clear. My mom can spend HOURS in a craft store (Hobby Lobby) which isn't my thing at all. Occasionally I'll park in the HC spot, unload her and make sure she is safely in the store, then go back to the truck and run down the road to Barnes & Noble. When I return to pick her up, I don't park in an HC spot. If the parking lot isn't crowded, I'll park across two spots, making sure there are at least 5 empty places between my truck and the closest vehicle. If the lot is crowded, I'll try to find a spot at the end of the row so I can park with the passenger side facing away from other vehicles. I'll then go inside Hobby Lobby, find mom, help her with anything she couldn't reach/find, and when purchases are complete, take her outside to the truck.

I don't know if state laws vary in the use of an HC placard so I'm probably better off using my current method. I could use the extra walking anyway.

Back to the hc stateroom issue.

We have only needed to use these for the past two years because of my scooter and/or wheelchair but have learned to book early. If there are no accessible staterooms we book a different trip. The accessible services departments for most lines are very helpful and I speak to them at the time of original booking and also about one month before sailing, as an earlier poster suggested.

Archived