Best Beach for Swimming/Snorkeling

tispwisp

What beach would you recommend for beautiful swimming and snorkeling for beginners?  

128 members have voted

1. 1. What beach would you recommend for beautiful swimming and snorkeling for beginners?

• Magen's Bay
    • Coki Beach
    • Sapphire Beach
    • Trunk Bay - St. John's
    • Other - Please specify

bluehorizonlove123 we have been to st.thomas 10 times so we have been to most of the beaches.There are no hotels at coki. I voted for coki for the snorkeling plus the beach plus the best frozen drinks.All the beaches do get crowded if there is a lot of ships in port. QLOTP ONE OF THE BEACH BARS AT COKI IS CALLED PERECTION OR PERFECT BEACH BAR. They make the best frozen drinks they use fresh mangos and bananas . You can get them with or with out rum.

I never tried the drinks there. I remember the snorkeling was OK. Lots of seaweed when we were there. I also remember the beach being very narrow. But you have obviously been there many more times that I. We are going to try Sapphire this time. I have heard the snorkeling isn't bad there either.

bluehorizonlover123 sapphire resort is also a narrow beach sundays they have a band playing that was good.I have snorkeled therr 3 times the first time was alot better than the other times.It was a little windy the last time so the water wash rough.I think all the beaches are nice and every one likes defferent things so you should try them your self.Some like magens bay no snorkeling long beach lots of people.

So which one would you recommmend. I am seriously thinking about not packing all the snorkeling gear this time. It is a pain and makes us have an entire suitcase extra. We like to swim, lay in the sun and just relax. We won't care much if there is snorkeling. Are any of the beaches less crowded with cruise people everywhere? I like to get away from all the people when I go to the beach. What do you think.

So which one would you recommmend. I am seriously thinking about not packing all the snorkeling gear this time. It is a pain and makes us have an entire suitcase extra. We like to swim, lay in the sun and just relax. We won't care much if there is snorkeling. Are any of the beaches less crowded with cruise people everywhere? I like to get away from all the people when I go to the beach. What do you think.

Just a sugestion... just pack the snorkal and gogles. You can always rent the fins (or go without). It's the fins that take up all the room.

I was all set for Saphire Beach...however over on Cruisemates someone has posted about Secret Harbor. It too looks promising. Anyone been here? Their website talks about their private beach so I'm not sure about walking up and using their facilities.

bluehorizonelove123 I would pick Secret harbor it is on the east side of st.thomas.We were there with our teen age girls two years ago.We were the only ones there from a cruise ship[there were 8 in port that day].It is a nice small beach white sand and coconut palms a place to eat and a beach bar,no one selling anything on the beach.If you want to relax this is a great place to go.The taxi driver asked us how we knew about it because not many cruise ship people go there. http://www.secretharborvi.com seabee we just walked on the beach and rented beach chairs they were $5 each.We met some of the people staying at the condos/hotel there were about 20 people on the hole beach. We did have lunch and drinks witch were good.

Thank you so much for your response. Do you remember how long it took to get there and how much the cab fare was to get there? Did they have bathrooms there? Was it easy to get a cab to take you back to the ship when you were done? Looking forward to your reply. I leave in less than 7 weeks. Nancy

nancy We went shopping first so we took a taxi from town to secret harbor.It cost $8 each from town about a 20 min.ride. It should be about the same from the ship.The taxi driver asked us if we wanted him to pick us up at a certain time so we had him pick us up at 3pm. We could of just called for one from the resort.Yes they have bathrooms.

If anyone is intrested... I just posted pictures of the cruise on Webshots at http://community.webshots.com/user/bkw67.

There are 9 pictures I took at Coki beach (underwater) with a disposable underwater camera. Unfortunatly, I had a problem with my other camera, and only two shots of St. Thomas I took were able to be developed (long sad story).

Anyway... I scanned them directly from the negatives, and considering a $5 wallmart disposable, it doesn't do it justice as to how clear the water is. Many of the shots were of fish over 10 yards away.

There is however one close up shot (the last one) that shows what must be more that 50 fish in about 10 feet of water. The bottom is very clear.

I agree Coki Beach has a lot of fish close to shore and there are everywhere. People were feeding them cereal that they brought off the ship and they would come right up to us there.

Your pictures came out great!!!

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
bluehorizonelove123 I would pick Secret harbor it is on the east side of st.thomas.We were there with our teen age girls two years ago.We were the only ones there from a cruise ship[there were 8 in port that day].It is a nice small beach white sand and coconut palms a place to eat and a beach bar,no one selling anything on the beach.If you want to relax this is a great place to go.The taxi driver asked us how we knew about it because not many cruise ship people go there. http://www.secretharborvi.com seabee we just walked on the beach and rented beach chairs they were $5 each.We met some of the people staying at the condos/hotel there were about 20 people on the hole beach. We did have lunch and drinks witch were good.

Thanks for the link!! Do you have to go through the lobby? We just want a little beach for the kids. Did you bring your own towels or can you rent them? Could you bring towels off the ship?

I looked at someone's pictures from Coke beach (sorry can't remember who's) and there were many fish; however, no coral. Where can I see both. Last year we were on a Catamaran off tortolla and saw both. I don't mind hiring someone to take us to some destination. Maybe rent a catamaran to take us to some cove? I have one more dilemma. I have my parents who have never snorkeled.

Just a sugestion... just pack the snorkal and gogles. You can always rent the fins (or go without). It's the fins that take up all the room.

Can you rent the vests? I have small kids who swim very well, but I would still like them to have the vests? How much is renting all the stuff?:confused:

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, I've taken a view cruises but never to St. Thomas. I have 3 kids 13,10 (boys) & 6 yr old (girl). The boys want to do water sports, the girl want to play in clean sand, and mom just wants to relax, maybe have a frozen drink/massage and a bit of snorkeling (It would be great if their were hammocks). What beach would you recommend, and what ammenties are there that you know of? How far away and how much does taxi's cost (per person, each way, round trip). Sorry, but I just registered onto this sight and you seemed very experience with St. Thomas. I leave next month...(April)

Archived