Song Airlines, Next November, Safe?

MEricksen

I need to book an evening flight, one way, from Tampa to Los Angeles for November 18, 2005. Song Airlines has a direct flight from Tampa that leaves at 6:40 PM which is perfect for my needs, and it is only $134.

I am a bit concerned that, considering the problems that Delta is having, Song may not be in business by November. I am also concerned about how often Song cancels flights, if they do. They only list one evening flight per day, and I can't find any performance data on the company. Possibly their performance is merged in with Delta's performance. If that evening flight were to be cancelled I don't know what I would do for a backup plan.

I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts/comments/suggestions about this?

Thanks for the help.

In the current state of major airlines that is a very long way off. Now that Delta is going to be a "budget" airline I suspect Song will be merged back into the Delta fold. The 32.8% pilots wage cuts should carry Delta for the next 9 months or more. They are in debt 20+ billion dollars. I just don't see cutting fares is going to make them profitable. But even if in 9 to 12 months they have to file Chap 11, you should be safe.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been researching airfare for our Veendam November cruise out of Tampa. I also found SONG to be the cheapest. Some websites list the flight as Delta as SONG, whatever that means. I had the same questions and fears as you. I guess the answer is there is no way to know so far into the future, but if we wait, the price will probably be double. Happy Sailing!

I'd say that Delta/Song is safe. Heck, United has been flying in bankruptcy for almost 2 years and look at US Airways. Given that Delta hasn't filed bankruptcy YET is a good sign.

Go ahead and snag those tickets....you should have no problem.

• 2 weeks later...

If you book flight only insurance within days of buying your tickets, you are covered for insolvency through TravelSafe Insurance. I think you have to book through a travel agent or third party such as expedia, orbitz or travelocity. I don't think you can purchase directly through the airline.

I think you'll be okay. If Song goes away, then Delta will just tranfer those bookings to mainline Delta flights. (of course, this might mean a change in Atlanta, but at least you get there).

Air Canada went through this recently. They started a low cost airline called Tango, to compete with the other low-costs. Then Air Canada transformed itself into a lower-cost carrier, so they didn't need Tango anymore. Tango is now a fare code on regular Air Canada flights. This is what I suspect Delta will do with Song if they find they don't need to 2 of them running side by side like they are now.

I just purchased our air tickets this weekend for our 7/3/05 Miracle cruise on Song. Got good times out of JFK, and the cost $160/person. Could have flown out of Bradley with better times, but the cost was $275/person.

We flew Song from LaGuardia to Orlando last year, and had no problem. In fact, DH requested to fly Song again when I was looking for flights.

Archived