Baltics with kids 5 & 7

2bundles

OK, here's Tallinn:

DOSSIER FILE # 5

Agent Name: KATY – AKA: 004

Country Name: Estonia City Name: Tallinn

Brief History: Tallinn is the capital of Estonia. They have an old town where the city hall stands and a tall hill (The Toompea) with a castle.

The city also has some of the tallest church towers in Europe. The tower of St. Olaf’s Church was once the tallest building in the world!

Look For: A pink castle on top of the hill. Towers and gates as you walk through the old city. Perhaps you will see people wearing traditional costumes. A very old pharmacy is located near the town hall and it has some unusual things on its shelves.

Your Assignment:

1. Count all the towers you see in Tallinn.

2. Look for “Old Tom” and a dragon head waterspout on the old town Hall.

3. Find the skull and crossbones carving inside Niguliste Church near the town hall.

4. Visit Fat Margaret.

5. Head to the Town Square for a ride on Toomas the Train.

6. Visit the Kalev Museum of Sweets (Maiasmoka maja, Pikk street 16) or the Kalev Sweete Shop Café

Favorite Place:­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­______________________________________________

Favorite Activity:____________________________________________

Favorite Food:______________________________________________

Favorite Dessert/candy:______________________________________

We begin the cruise in Amsterdam and will have about 3 days there before sailing. The rest of the ports of call are: Berlin (Warnemunde), Germany, Stockholm, Sweden, Helsinki, Finland, St. Petersburg, Russia, Tallinn, Estonia, and Copenhagen, Denmark. It is very unlikely that we will take the train to Berlin so will likely explore closer to the ship. Thank you so much for the dossiers that you have posted so far. They will work well for both of the kids. My grandson is already looking forward to the stroopwafels as we brought him these to share with his classmates for his birthday treat a couple of years ago.

The Dossier File is such a great idea .I have the St P and Tallin. Are there anymore ? Would love to have one for Oslo, Stockholm, Berlin and Copenhagen. Thank you !!:)

Sorry - we were on MSC so didn't get to Oslo, Stockholm or Berlin. Here is Copenhagen. Our port time was very, very short so we didn't get to do much besides Tivoli and the Little Mermaid though:

DOSSIER FILE # 7

Country Name: Denmark City Name: Copenhagen

Brief History: Like St Petersburg Copenhagen is a royal city. The current queen – Queen Margrethe II - lives in Amalienborg Slot (Amalia’s Castle). Rosenborg Slot is another royal palace with grand ballrooms and reception halls that look like Cinderella’s castle.

Hans Christian Andersen wrote many fairy tales. He wrote "The Steadfast Tin Soldier", "The Snow Queen", "The Little Mermaid", "Thumbelina", "The Little Match Girl", "The Ugly Duckling" and "The Red Shoes". He lived in Copenhagen and was much loved by the childern.

Tivoli Gardens is the second oldest amusement park in the world. It has more than rides though with a Chinese pagoda and flower gardins.

Look For: Queen Margrethe II – sometimes she likes to tour her city and shake hands! Pantomime show at Tivoli Gardens. Swans in city lakes.

Your Assignment:

1. Look for the “Little Mermaid” statue in Copenhagen harbor.

2. Visit Rosenborg Palace and find portraits of the royalty and their Crown Jewels.

3. Visit Tivoli Gardens and watch the Himmelskibet (The Sky Flyer) - the world's tallest carousel.

4. Eat in a smorrebrod restaurant (perhaps Ida Davidsen or Told & Snaps).

Favorite Activity:____________________________________________________

Sorry - we were on MSC so didn't get to Oslo, Stockholm or Berlin. Here is Copenhagen. Our port time was very, very short so we didn't get to do much besides Tivoli and the Little Mermaid though:

DOSSIER FILE # 7

Country Name: Denmark City Name: Copenhagen

Brief History: Like St Petersburg Copenhagen is a royal city. The current queen – Queen Margrethe II - lives in Amalienborg Slot (Amalia’s Castle). Rosenborg Slot is another royal palace with grand ballrooms and reception halls that look like Cinderella’s castle.

Hans Christian Andersen wrote many fairy tales. He wrote "The Steadfast Tin Soldier", "The Snow Queen", "The Little Mermaid", "Thumbelina", "The Little Match Girl", "The Ugly Duckling" and "The Red Shoes". He lived in Copenhagen and was much loved by the childern.

Tivoli Gardens is the second oldest amusement park in the world. It has more than rides though with a Chinese pagoda and flower gardins.

Look For: Queen Margrethe II – sometimes she likes to tour her city and shake hands! Pantomime show at Tivoli Gardens. Swans in city lakes.

Your Assignment:

1. Look for the “Little Mermaid” statue in Copenhagen harbor.

2. Visit Rosenborg Palace and find portraits of the royalty and their Crown Jewels.

3. Visit Tivoli Gardens and watch the Himmelskibet (The Sky Flyer) - the world's tallest carousel.

4. Eat in a smorrebrod restaurant (perhaps Ida Davidsen or Told & Snaps).

Favorite Activity:____________________________________________________

Thanks so much for Copenhagen's dossier! I can't wait to share this with my boys! It is a great idea!

We will be in RCC for our Baltic cruise. There is an excursion in Helsinki to "Santa's Summerhome". It says it is near western Helsinki. This sounds like the perfect trip for children. Have you checked Disney's excursions. It sounds like something they would offer. Perhaps you could find a private tour.

Enjoy your cruise.

Sorry, no dossier for Helsinki.

Here are a few visual highlights for what we saw and did in Helsinki. It doesn't have the great architecture and history of Copenhagen or St. Petersburg. BUT, we enjoyed our visit there. It's a nice clean town with a charming central market, etc. Are the pictures worth a thousand words? Lots to see and enjoy in Helsinki, especially with the perfect weather that we had there on our cruise visit in late July 2008.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Helsinki’s traditional Orthodox Church is placed on a solid stone base overlooking the main market:

1A-Helsinki-ChurchRock.jpg

Helsinki’s Church of Rock, carved out of solid stone with a unique contemporary design:

1A-Helsinki-RockChurch.jpg

Overlooking Helsinki's Senate Square, this is the Lutheran Church with its dome that is a key local landmark:

1A-Helsinki-Sen.jpg

In Helsinki’s main downtown, this is the shopping area next to the main market:

1A-Helsinki-DowntownBldgs.jpg

Helsinki’s City Hall in the main downtown overlooking the market area:

1A-Helsinki-CityHall.jpg

Helsinki’s main market is right on the water with lots of goods and foods for sale:

1A-Helsinki-Mark-Dwt.jpg

Love your pics! I really enjoyed our day(s) in Helsinki... ok, it doesn't have the awe factor of Stockholm or St Petersburg, but it is an enjoyable place and I really liked the serenity of the rock church... bought a CD of the choir singing Christmas carols and it always brings me back. thanks for sharing!

We did the Baltic in August with our 4 1/2 year old daughter and she did great. She was right in the middle of her "princess phase" and so she loved all the castles and palaces. We started in London and my mother bought her a crown at Kensington Palace which she wore EVERY DAY. I learned to say "princess" in so many languages! We only had 2 ports in common with your trip - Copenhagen and St. Petersburg. Our plan, though, would work in any port.

We came up with a "dossier" for each port. She was a special agent and had an assignment for each day. It really helped her understand that she was in a different country each day - a hard thing for a child this age to understand. Her assignments included tasting special treats (i.e. salt licorice ice cream in Sweden, Dutch pancakes in Amsterdam, Blini is St. P, etc), finding certain landmarks (i.e. The Little Mermaid in Copenhagen, the czar's winter palace in St Pete, etc) or doing certain things (i.e. riding a double decker bus in London and a water taxi in Amsterdam, finding a sweets museum in Tallin or finding a painting from a certain book she has at home in one of the museums.) It kept her totally engaged and we all had some interesting new experiences. Some other parents on our cruise told us that their kids were really jealous and wanted to do the same thing. They wanted us to publish these dossiers but frankly, I would have no idea how to do that...

In Copenhagen head straight for Tivoli. It's a beautiful amusement park and garden. One warning - do not buy an unlimited ride pass for the 5 year old unless a parent has one too. The ticket clerk convinced me that my daughter was big enough to ride on many, many rides by herself. NOT TRUE. There were only about 4 "baby" rides she could go on without an adult. After her being in tears being turned away from ride after ride I was able to convince the management to trade it in for individual ride tickets. She was able to go on 3 really good rides with one of us for the same price and she enjoyed it so much more.

In St Petersburg arrange for a private guide who will customize a more kid friendly tour. You can then go on roll call and find another family or 2 to share it with you so your kids will have companions. My daughter loved playing in the fountains at Peterhof (bring a change of clothes and shoes), the canal cruise and any place where she could see a real throne. I'm surprised you're not going to Tallin - my daughter loved exploring the medieval walls and towers and having lunch in a real medieval restaurant. The marzipan museum there was one of her highlights!

We did not have the option of leaving her aboard since we did not use ship's tours. As I said, though, she did great and it wasn't necessary. Just don't try to do too much and let the kids be a part of choosing the activities. We got our daughter a kid safe camera so she could take her own pictures which really made her feel like a part of things. A portable dvd player (or ipod) was very helpful for the long rides in the van in St Petersburg.

Let me know if you need any more specifics about anything. Have a great trip.

We will be in London for 8 nights before our Disney Cruise.....not sure if Disney would have anything like this....and since we aren't doing many of their excursions probably wouldn't have access anyway.....would you be so kind to email me mmaragon@prodigy.net

I mentioned this in another thread, but has anyone thought of getting, even the young children, their own camera's???. You have to pay a few dollars more for each camera brought into certain museums, but it might be worth it. You can get a very inexpensive point and shoot digital camera for each child and let them snap away. Being digital, they can see what they have taken right away.

When my kids were young, they all had their own camera's. Even if their pictures weren't that good, they loved the fact that they took them themselves and were able to take pictures of what THEY wanted to. It could keep children occupied for many hours, instead of listening to long lectures about museum objects or Russian history.

Len

Yes earlier in the thread I mentioned that my dd had her own camera and taking her own pictures was part of the fun for her. She had a V-tech but Fisher Price also makes a great one for kids this age. Indestructable, able to take a 2 mb picture card - even able to make videos. You can load the child's pictures on the computer just as you would your own. It made a huge difference!

We will be in London for 8 nights before our Disney Cruise.....not sure if Disney would have anything like this....and since we aren't doing many of their excursions probably wouldn't have access anyway.....would you be so kind to email me mmaragon@prodigy.net

Here's the one we used in London. Diana's Memorial Playground in Kensington Gardens was hands down dd's favorite place on the whole trip. It is modeled after Peter Pan - you can add something about climbing on Capt. Hook's ship. We also hooked up with the Dover Greeters and she had a nice time at a playground in Dover. The funny sounding foods were a big hit - we still talk about the Eton Mess. She also really loved the Tower of London (you should have heard her comparing notes on the best part of being a princess with the actress playing the queen!) and seeing the crown jewels. We also visited Dover Castle the day we got off the ship - again she had fun exploring and gave the actor playing the king a run for his money. On the train to/from Gatwick she recognized the rooftops as being similar to the ones in "Mary Poppins." You could add that too if your kids are familiar with the movie...

DOSSIER FILE # 1

Country Name: ENGLAND City Name: LONDON

Background: England is also known as The United Kingdom but there is no king in the kingdom. Instead Queen Elizabeth’s husband is named Prince Phillip. They live in London at Buckingham Palace.

People in London travel in a subway called “the tube” as well as on Double Decker busses and in black taxis. London has a big river called the Thames and many beautiful parks.

In the afternoon everyone stops what they are doing to have tea. You can have sandwiches, biscuits or scones with your tea. Some of the most popular foods in London are fish and chips, pasties and puddings.

Many movies, including Mary Poppins, are based in London.

Your Assignment:

1. Ride the Eye to the Sky.

2. Find the palace where a real queen lives.

3. Have a tea party with scones and clotted cream.

4. Ride on a bus that has 2 floors.

5. Ride in a tube.

6. Visit a park with a beautiful flower garden.

7. Try as many of these as you can: Fish & Chips, Scones, Cornish Pasty, Bangers & Mash, Bubble & Squeak, Toad in the Hole, Sticky Toffee pudding, bread and butter pudding, a fruit crumble, custard, sponge pudding, a tart, Eton Mess, a flake, sausage roll, meat pie

Favorite Place:______________________________________________­

Favorite Activity:____________________________________________

Favorite Dessert/candy:_______________________________________

• 3 months later...
Love your pics! I really enjoyed our day(s) in Helsinki... ok, it doesn't have the awe factor of Stockholm or St Petersburg, but it is an enjoyable place and I really liked the serenity of the rock church... bought a CD of the choir singing Christmas carols and it always brings me back. thanks for sharing!

THANKS for the comments on the pictures! Agree that the Rock Church is a very special and unique place. It speaks to the heart and soul. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

sbhdmh ~ How FABULOUS!!!! Your idea of a dossier for each port is genius!!! We're not traveling with any children but I know I'm going to "steal" your idea whenever we go on a trip with our grandchildren!!! You should choose a few more cities and publish your dossiers before someone else does!! Wish I had thought of this idea years ago when traveling with our children - we never went international then - but even within the USA it would have been a great way to them even more attentive - they've all turned into travelers themselves - as I'm sure your daughter will as she gets older!

Thanks Jellytot and Peg. No - the dossiers are not being published. I made a few queries but don't really know where to go with them. I know my daughter loved them - every morning at breakfast we had a big production of reading the dossier for the day. I hope other kids can benefit from them, too. As I said earlier in this thread I think travel is an amazing gift to our children. In addition to the Baltic cruise last summer we did the Western Caribbean in January where she got to climb on Mayan ruins and meet a modern day Mayan family. She hasn't even started kindergarten yet but I think has a better understanding of the world and different cultures than most adults I know. Making it fun is really the key - that way they don't even know they are learning;)

Please keep this thread alive - so many people have been posting recently that they are taking their kids to the Baltics this summer who were not able to find this info when the thread was buried. Any more questions please post. Also, after you return please add what worked for your family, too.

Sbhdmh ~ what a shame you can’t get the dossiers published but THANK YOU for sharing with everyone! Someone on our cruise who just joined our thread is traveling with two daughters – older than yours – and I suggested your Baltic thread – that’s what led me to read it – am I ever glad I did!!

Years ago we did a lot of car traveling with our kids – also camping throughout the east coast. I can still remember us all in the car often “reviewing” what states we had driven through! favorite cities!! and “adventures”!! Now they’re all adults and often travel on their own – both business and vacations!

Your daughter will be the winner – as you’re finding out already! I copied the dossiers and will change them for trips with our grandchildren and I KNOW they’ll enjoy them and also learn from them!!!! Thanks SO much!!!!!!!!!

AND YES!! KEEP THIS THREAD ALIVE!!!!!

Thanks Jellytot and Peg. No - the dossiers are not being published. I made a few queries but don't really know where to go with them. I know my daughter loved them - every morning at breakfast we had a big production of reading the dossier for the day. I hope other kids can benefit from them, too.

sbhdmh:

In my few off hours I have completed our cruise dossiers for the rest of the locations that you didn't do. Your idea is awesome!!! My boys (ages 8 and 9) will love it this summer. I am making them their own "passport" books with the dossiers and having them draw the flag of each country and leaving a space for them to write their favorite things that they see or do. I'm going to bring a few special stamps to stamp their "passports" at the end of each "assignment". Thanks again for the idea! We will be using it again!:)

cruising with kids 9 and 13 this summer. Laura, would you mind posting the other ports' dossiers that you completed? thanks, Elaine

Elaine I will do so, but feel free to tweak them to suit your family. I tried my best to emulate the other dossiers. Have a great trip. I am making them each a 5x7 booklet that includes each dossier and ordered scrapbooking stickers for each country (not Poland - couldn't find them) for the boys to use on the pages when they complete each dossier. :)

Agent Name:

Country Name: Sweden City Name: Stockholm

Brief History: Stockholm, Sweden is officially called the Kingdom of Sweden. It has a King named Kind Carl XVI Gustaf, who lives in Drottningholm Palace outside of Stockholm. The King is the Honorary Chairman of the World Scout Foundation and likes to attend Jamborees. The city of Stockholm was originally founded by Birger Jarl to protect Sweden from a sea invasion by foreign navies. The Nobel Prize is given to people who make great achievements in Science. Astrid Lindgren, a children’s author, wrote the Pippi Longstocking books.

The Royal Palace has over 600 rooms and is the official residence of the King of Sweden.

Look For: In Stortorget square in Gamla Stan, find Number 7 and look for the cannon ball in the corner of Skomakargatan. According to legend, the cannon ball was fired at the Danish Kind Christian Tyrant during the Stockholm Bloodbath in 1520.

Your Assignment:

1. Find a blood-stained shirt worn by Gustavus Adolphus at the Battle of Lutzen in 1632 in the Royal Armory.

2. What animal is in the Royal Armory?

3. Find the narrowest street in Stockholm, Marten Trotzigs Grand.

4. What is the name of the ship that sunk in the Baltic Sea? In what year did it sink?

5. Look at the tall spire on the City Hall. How many golden crowns do you see?

6. How many noblemen were killed in Stortorget square in the Stockholm Bloodbath on November 7, 1520?

Favorite Place:­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­_______________________________ _______________

Favorite Activity:_________________________________________________ ___

Agent Name:

Country Name: Finland City Name: Helsinki

Brief History: Finland was originally a part of Sweden and then Russia. In 1918 the world recognized Finland as its own country. It has a president like we do in the United States. The current president is Tarja Halonen, but they also have a prime minister named Matti Vanhanen. In northern Finland, the Sami people or native people live in Lapland. Lapland is where Santa Claus is believed to live. Hollywood shot many movies in Helsinki since it resembled St. Petersburg and Moscow. Porvoo is the second oldest city in Finland. In 1760, a Porvoo housewife made fish soup, and the fire it caused destroyed the majority of the buildings in the city.

Look For: In front of the Porvoo Cathedral look for the Buggy Parking sign and have someone take your picture with it.

Your Assignment:

1. Find the oldest building in Senate Square called Sederholm House. It was built in 1757.

2. Find the coat of arms for Porvoo. What does the “C” stand for? Castle

3. Why are the shore houses painted red? Red ochre paint was used to paint the shore houses in honour of King Gustav III’s arrival from Sweden. Every house along his route was painted red in order to make them more beautiful.

4. How many columns are across the front of the Cathedral in Helsinki? How many steps lead up to the Cathedral?

5. What kind of metal is on the roof of the Temppeliaukion Kirkko (Rock Church)?

6. What two crops are grown at Kiiala Manor?

Favorite Place:­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­_______________________________ _______________

Favorite Activity:_________________________________________________ ___