swimming with dolphins

joybelles9

:confused:help we depart in 2 days from Australia

want information on swimming with dolphins for my daughter travelling with us

we are on Mariner of seas departing 25th oct going to mexico

stops are cabo san lucas / mazatlan / puerto vallarta

would appreciate any help on dolphins and other sights to see and do

thanks joybelles 9 :confused:

Just got back from a Mexican Rivera cruise where I finally fulfilled an ages-old desire to swim with dolphins.

The tour operator, Dolphin Discovery Center, operates both in Puerta Vallarta and Cabo San Lucas. I don't know if both locations operate exactly the same, so my comments only apply to the PV location where I took my swim.

They offer different levels of encounters with both dolphins and sea lions in saltwater pools. The "Encounters" consist of standing on a submerged platform in waist deep water as you meet and pet the dolphins for about 20 minutes. In the "Swim" you get into the pool with them for about 45 minutes. Strong swimming skills aren't necessary, if you can tread water in a life-jacket you're fine. They swim in and out around you, kiss you on the cheek, and take you for a "belly-ride" around the pool.

They also offer a kid's program and a reduced rate for those who only want to watch. Cameras aren't allowed in or around the pools. Their photographers are running around the pool taking pictures the whole time. They're available for sale afterwards for $25 ea.

It was a great experience and I would (will) do it again in a heartbeat!

If you want a wild dolphin swim instead of a captive dolphin swim, Wildlife connections in Puerto Vallarta does one. NO GUARANTEE that the dolphins WILL swim with you, because they are wild/unpenned, but DH did it and had dolphins with him :) The operator is a research marine biologist.

Archived