Is a floatation device provided for snorkel excursions?

darlenes

I'm going with my parents on a cruise February 6th and I talked them into trying a snorkel excursion but my Mom does not swim well. She's snorkeled before but it was a beach entry and she used a partially inflated flotation lounge thing - yes, whatever you're visualizing is true, she looked like a drowning butterfly with her wings sticking out of the water. :p I tease her about it still.

Anyway, is a floatation device provided or should I get one for her? Since I talked them into it I want her to enjoy it.

Thank you for your help

I'm probably about your Mom's age and went snorkling for the first time a month ago.It really depends on where you are going and how strong the currents are, but I would recommend you get a snorkling vest for her. It will make her feel more comfortable and it won't get in the way as much as a regular life vest.But it is tiring swimming against currents and if she has to work too hard, she may not have as much fun(and won't want to do it again!)Plus while out there, most of the time there are tons of people and not a lot of tour people, so they may not be able to watch everyone all the time.. better safe than sorry and I've heard you can get snorkling vests for around $40.....

Life vests they will certainly have, but no one would want to snorkel in one! ;)

A snorkel vest is a good bet to reduce anxiety, which brings me to an important point - the big factor that will decide if a person has a good snorkel or not (in my experience) is: Can you relax?

Snorkeling when you relax is all effortless gliding - if you get all tense and nervous you thrash and struggle and go nowhere - it's exhausting and somewhat nerve-racking, as I know from experience when I've lost my cool. I know it helps a lot if there's not a strong chop, tide or heavy currents, but attitude really is key.

So talk to your mum, and maybe get her a snorkel & mask so she can practice just floating face down in the water in the pool. Anything that will make her more comfortable with snorkeling will help.

Have a great cruise!

I actually put my TA to work and she found out that they are provided on the trip. I appreciate your thoughts on the matter - I know my Mom will enjoy it more if she doesn't feel like she's going to go under.

Thanks again

We were just there and snorkeled during our December 6th Volendam cruise. At Tortoal and Barbados the operators of the snorkel excursions booked through the ship provided inflatable buoncy vests. Furthermore they required each snorkeler to wear it (or one of their own) before being allowed in the water. The snorkeling was good and the water was warm. Also the time in the water for these excursions is relatively brief so no wetsuit was needed.

Enjoy the snorkeling and go meet a sea turtle face to face.

Hi Dalenes,

Glad you were able to find your answer.

More and more snorkeling tours are providing snorkeling specific floatation devices. In addition to snorkeling vests many tour operators are now provide plexiglass-window body boards. It's just a bodyboard with a plastic window cut in the center surrounded by a raised rubber skirt to keep the water out. The same concept as a glass bottom boat on a small scale. I also see a lot of water noodles and snorkeling vests on the tour boats. If nothing else is available a life vest will work in a pinch. Just remember, life vests were designed to keep an unconscious person face-up in the water. You will have to constantly fight against the vest's tendency to roll your body upright.

Best of luck on your trip

Aloha,

Grant

www.snorkeling-hawaii-insiders-guide.com

• 2 weeks later...

As others have said, the operators will give her a vest. But if you want to buy one search for vests on Ebay. Just bought an inflatable for $30 with shipping from snorkelmart, and they have some neat gear bags as well. Actually, my wife likes one of those styrofoam noodles tucked under her arms (yup, the butterfly picture was very familiar) - I can't quite convince her that it is really hard to sink in salt water.

Archived