Carnival Dream is skipping Barcelona...

carncovecruiser

Thanks, Gainsville Traveler for the update on what's going on aboard the Dream. I have been following the itinerary and cam (friends aboard celebrating 40th anniversary), and it "looked" like they had docked in Monoco today according to the cam map, but I was puzzled knowing they were to be in Barcelona today. Omg! I feel so bad that your husband and his mother are having this experience (and our friends). I sure hope that the remainder of their cruise is wonderful! Keep us posted on what you hear, and thanks for posting!

We were on the Dream on 10/3 and we skipped Monaco. The waters were so rough that day, it was horrible. We had an inside room and when we were inside, the waves hitting the ship sounded like we were hitting icebergs! It was really bad. The pool was splashing all over the place, the winds were so bad they said not to go outside.

We were supposed to go to Genoa instead but they were having a transit strike, which means we wouldn't have been able to go to many places. And on such short notice, they couldn't come up with shore excursion. But the day at sea was really calm and nice.

We were on the Dream on 10/3 and we skipped Monaco. The waters were so rough that day, it was horrible. We had an inside room and when we were inside, the waves hitting the ship sounded like we were hitting icebergs! It was really bad. The pool was splashing all over the place, the winds were so bad they said not to go outside.

We were supposed to go to Genoa instead but they were having a transit strike, which means we wouldn't have been able to go to many places. And on such short notice, they couldn't come up with shore excursion. But the day at sea was really calm and nice.

It is funny how two people can be on the same trip and have two totally different stories to tell. Another poster on your same cruise just could not understand what all the fuss was about with the sea conditions. They were all upset about not going to Monaco because in their opinion the seas were just fine and perfectly safe for the ship to go into port. It was all the Captains fault and they of course should be compensated for his decision to insure the safety of the passanger, crew and ship.

I was on the 10/15 Dream sailing that skipped Barcelona. The Captain reported that the waves were at 40ft and winds at 90MPH at the time the ship was turned around. That boat was getting tossed around like crazy. As I comfortably layed in bed, not wanting to even try and deal with taking a shower in that craziness, you could hear glass breaking and crashing everywhere and the ship itself just creaking and moaning. Very sureal. As for the weather in general, other then that day and a misty start to our day in Dubrovnik, we actually had pretty great weather, chillier than normal, but coming from fall in New England I felt right at home.

I was on the 10/15 Dream sailing that skipped Barcelona. The Captain reported that the waves were at 40ft and winds at 90MPH at the time the ship was turned around. That boat was getting tossed around like crazy. As I comfortably layed in bed, not wanting to even try and deal with taking a shower in that craziness, you could hear glass breaking and crashing everywhere and the ship itself just creaking and moaning. Very sureal. As for the weather in general, other then that day and a misty start to our day in Dubrovnik, we actually had pretty great weather, chillier than normal, but coming from fall in New England I felt right at home.

I agree that we had great weather. We came home with a pretty nice tan. The only rain was off and on in Dubrovnik and by the afternoon, we were lounging in the Serenity area on the ship soaking up the sun. It was cold in Venice in the early morning, the evening and in the shade, but warm in the afternoon sun with beautiful blue skies.

We were sad that we did not get to go to Barcelona, but the extra evening in Monaco was magical! The storm was not that bad. We found it very entertaining. Our staterrom was on the very front of the ship on deck 10. The lightning storm at 1:30 am was awesome. We didn't get much sleep that night. The captain reported 40 foot swells with 25 foot waves, but we never saw any that big. We might have hit a few big waves and that is when the damage was done. We hit one about 7:30 am while we were in the buffet area and again later that morning when I was in the gift shop and DH was at the coffee bar. Since we had been in the storm all night, it was crazy that the staff did not put away items that could be jerked off the shelves. I have been on other ships that had wires that held the perfume bottles from falling off the shelves. A lot of dishes were broken also. We have been in worse storms in the Caribbean and the Mexican Riviera.

Archived