POA in Feb New to NCL

Twiz

We have never sailed NCL but are sailing POA in Feb., and we have never been to Hawaii. We have always cruised in the Carribbean. I am very curious about the freestyle dining.

I am just looking for any tips, suggestions and information.

We will be flying in from the East coast, should we consider 2 days prior ( for adjusting to time changes).

There are only 2 things thus far we definately are going to do, helicopter tour (DH) Luau (my request) which would you suggest, other than that we are open to any ideas on what others found they enjoyed.

I have to have at least 1 beach day what island would offer the best.

I just printed out the 37 page shore excursion list but havent started to comb through it yet

Any idea what type of weather we might expect...

TIA

To answer a couple of your questions:

the weather in Hawaii is pretty constant. It may be a few degrees warmer in the summer months opposed to the winter months, but it will be great for you.

I would ditch the NCL excursion list except for maybe a few guidelines as to what to do on each island. Rent a car for each port and do your own thing. You will save hundreds of dollars and you will decide where you would like to go, when to go and how much time you want to spend there.

We flew in from the East Coast also with one stop in Dallas. We planned a 5 day pre cruise so we never worried about jet lag for the cruise. We were wiped out when we arrived, but just check into a hotel, go right to sleep and the next day you are ready to go.

Do a search of these boards as to what to do. There are just so many threads that give so many answers as to what to do on each Island. This place is invaluable.

As for NCL, we were on the Pride of Hawaii, when she was sailing there, but we sail NCL all the time. We love the Free Style type of dining. Especially in Hawaii. You can basically come back to the ship as late as 10:00PM and still be able to eat dinner in the MDR. Opposed to other cruise lines where you ahve to be back at a specific time just to eat. Hawaii is just magnificent, and you want to be able to spend as much time on the Islands as possible, not rush back just to eat.

Just be aware that an NCL Hawaiian cruise is a bit different than an other type of cruise in that you are only really cruising at night and there are no seas days. It is more like a floating 45 star hotel that goes with you from Island to Island.

You will love it.

car rentals in Hawaii are cheap. Book now, use AAA, AARP etc. Also, Alamo gives discounts for prepaying. All agencies have shuttle service to and from the airport. In Kona, rent from the King Kamehama Hotel across from the pier. I think the car rentals there are thru Thrifty and Dollar. Again read cruise critic boards on Hawaii car rentals for more info.

A mid size car is $31, with required taxes it comes to $40 a day. Do a search and you'll find a couple of websites that show you a comparison for the various agencies. A shuttle bus will pick you up at the pier and take you to the airport where you will get your car, maps etc.

If you have insurance on a car in the states that coverage will be in effect for Hawaii, since it is a state. Also, your credit card may also offer it.

Read the review section to see what other people did on the various islands/ports to get an idea of how much you can cover in a day. A real advantage is being able to park at the pier and go out the second morning in Maui and/or Kauai without having to wait for a shuttle. Therefore, if you wanted to do a sunrise or sunset over the volcano, you could do it.

Some people say that a must do is the Waimea Canyon on Kauai, preferably by helicopter to save the many hours of driving?

We are renting a car the first 3 days, and then taking a Roberts' tour in Kona (Historic Kona) which is considerably less expensive than the ship's tour. also, Kona is a tender port, and the stores, restaurants, outrigger canoes etc. are right there. gorabbitgo.com is their website for comparison of prices.

We are doing the movie tour in Kauai! sounds like fun. Then the second day a helicopter tour from the same company that filmed some of the movies of waterfalls, islandhelicopter.com who are having an internet special of $178 per person.

Definitely fly in a day or two early, especially if you want to see the island of Oahu, or at least Honolulu. Also, there are post cruise excursions that you can book if your flight home is after certain times. For instance, the North Shore tour from NCL (drop off at airport for flights after 5:30) allows you to board the bus at 8 a.m. upon disembarkation, with your luggage under the bus, so you don't have to worry about it. Or the Circle Oahu tour for people flying after 7 I believe.

Good luck with your research and your trip. There's so much to be learned. Since one of your two "musts" is a helicopter ride, I might suggest that the two islands that you'll get the most out of this will be either Kauai or the Big Island. I too plan on a heli ride and will be doing it on Kauai. You only have 3 choices for a luau. Maui--because you're there overnight, Kauai for the same reason and Oahu, if you go in a minimum of 1 day early. However, if you do only go in 1 day early or don't stay beyond Saturday, after the cruise, then Oahu is probably not an option. Going in only 1 day early, you'll already have jetlag and be tired from the flight and more importantly the time difference.

After extensive research, it seems that two of the best luaus are on Maui. I personally am not likely to do one on Maui because I think I am going to do the Road to Hana and I won't be back in time to head to a luau. :(

When you think of something you want to know about do a search and see if you can find your answer before posting the question. Not that many people, including me aren't willing to answer you, but you might find more info this way.:)

• 1 month later...

We are going on the 2/13 cruise. 2 adults and our 5 year old daughter. I just booked rickystours on Hilo. It sounds great, price is right and only 13 people on the tour. Hoping others with kids will go.

It is a 5 hour tour for $50 per adult and 25 for child.

www.rickystours.com

Hilo Tour

*Banyan Drive

*Liliuokalani Garden

*Rainbow Falls

*Macadamia Nut Co.

*Akatsuka Orchid Garden

*Black Sand Beach (Richardson Ocean Beach Park)

Volcano National Park Tours

*Steam Vents

*Jaggar Museum

*Halemaumau Crater

*"82-Lava Flow

*Keanakakoi Crater

*Thurston Lava Tube

*Kilauea Iki Crater

He said we do the whole thing, a combo tour for that price.

I can be reached at ren.mika@yahoo.ca. Would love to connect with other families on the cruise and book tours in other places.

Ren

Archived