Making Formal wear look cool?

Tracy67

Is that supposed to be amusing?

If it is indeed serious, it merely demonstrates a lack of social etiquette.

:p

Social what? In Yorkshire dinner is Tea and Tea is a meal as well as a drink tha nos. Our bow ties are black with coal dust and only worn at funerals; mind you, I suppose more than one ship in the P&O fleet could be called the "barge of the dead" due to it's more senior regulars.

I do have a young son who likes to wear his pants on his head - if he wore a black tie (tied, not unfastened and certainly not clipped on) with his Armani Tux would this be acceptable (they are mostly white, with a few brown flecks):cool:eh!

BTW I am dining with Lord St John Fortesque- Smythe at the Bulendon Club this evening, and I shall be unavailable to comment further until after the fish course (3rd fork from the left - don'y ya know)

Social what? In Yorkshire dinner is Tea and Tea is a meal as well as a drink tha nos. Our bow ties are black with coal dust and only worn at funerals; mind you, I suppose more than one ship in the P&O fleet could be called the "barge of the dead" due to it's more senior regulars.

I do have a young son who likes to wear his pants on his head - if he wore a black tie (tied, not unfastened and certainly not clipped on) with his Armani Tux would this be acceptable (they are mostly white, with a few brown flecks):cool:eh!

BTW I am dining with Lord St John Fortesque- Smythe at the Bulendon Club this evening, and I shall be unavailable to comment further until after the fish course (3rd fork from the left - don'y ya know)

Ah! I'm pleased to see that have moved on to the cabaret!

:p

If they were trying to conform, they would either tie the bow tie or compromise by using a pre-tied bow tie. I wouldn't know about Ventura. I have never been aboard and do not plan to be. I would prefer that all on board respected and conformed to the dress code. As to the flies, one would need to look in order to notice; why would I look?

:)

Whilst checking for a dickie bow?

Is it any wonder that us soon to be ex OV cruisers have serious reservations about booking P&O and many are even considering a cruise free future? We would hate to have to share space with some of those on this board who have ram rods firmly inserted up their ar$@:mad:

I wouldn't know about Ventura. I have never been aboard and do not plan to be.

Just one hope for the future, Ventura cannot be that bad as you lot appear to hate it more than you hate OV, hopefully it is full of fun loving people who go on holiday to have fun as opposed to being Pompous & Obnoxious snobbs:mad:

Well I wasn't expecting three pages of replies - very entertaining though and such strong opinions.:rolleyes:

If my son can wear smart casual then I suppose it will be Bench T shirts or maybe the Henleys £45 hoodie he has just bought - very smart as far as all his peers are concerned and bought after getting up at 6.30am to earn an honest wage on his paper round.

When we do go away we always go during school holidays as we are both teachers and have school aged children. I am sure there will be a more relaxed approach to dress then from what I have read on other threads.

Please keep the banter going - I've enjoyed it - though insulting children is very immature.- Also not sure that their photo should have even been posted without parental consent??

Do you know whats really sad? I went on Oceana last year and none of this crap that gets spouted by some of the people on here actually occurs onboard. Most of the P&Oers are lovely people...so why do have to be so uptight on here.

luv2krooze1791, im afraid a tour of the ships mourge does not count as fun!:p

Do you know whats really sad? I went on Oceana last year and none of this crap that gets spouted by some of the people on here actually occurs onboard. Most of the P&Oers are lovely people...so why do have to be so uptight on here.

Sure you are right Mat but we still have doubts mainly due to the Pompous & Obnoxious on here. I must add that we have also chatted to some very nice people on this board as well

Holiday! HOLIDAY:D you are on a cruise my man, not a holiday!:eek:

Quite right LibraLass41!

A holiday insinuates they would be having a good time and not worrying about the colour of their ties at dinner.

We don't want anyone to get the wrong impression that P&O is fun do we?

Cruising is a far too serious business to be enjoyable. Yet another comment from an uneducated miscreant.... how very dare he! :D

On a more serious note:

When you strip away the frivolity, the suggestion is simply that all passengers should accept and adopt the Dress Code as a matter of courtesy and respect. What is wrong with that? What, indeed, was wrong with the days in the not too distant past when the entire ship became subject to dress code after 6pm?

I have never been on a crossing or cruise that I did not thoroughly enjoy.

On a more serious note:

When you strip away the frivolity, the suggestion is simply that all passengers should accept and adopt the Dress Code as a matter of courtesy and respect. What is wrong with that? What, indeed, was wrong with the days in the not too distant past when the entire ship became subject to dress code after 6pm?

I have never been on a crossing or cruise that I did not thoroughly enjoy.

I've no doubt within the next couple of years P&O will drop the Formal wear on at least Ventura and Oceana anyway. If they want the passenger numbers (and not have to sell off another ship to balance the books) they'll bend to customers opinions.

I see that even Regent Seven Seas have now changed there dress code based on customer feedback to:

Effective with the New Year’s Cruises of Seven Seas Voyager, Seven Seas Mariner and Seven Seas Navigator, our new “Elegant Casual” Evening Dress Code is as follows:

Evening Dress Code (after 6 p.m.)

Two types of dress code have been established for evenings in public areas: Elegant Casual, and Formal Optional. The number of Formal Optional nights per cruise is dependent upon the length of the cruise, as follows:

· Cruises of fifteen nights or less will be Elegant Casual for the duration

· Cruises of sixteen nights or more will have two Formal Optional nights

Elegant Casual: Skirt, or slacks (no jeans) with blouse or sweater, pant suit or dress for ladies; slacks (no jeans) and collared shirt for gentlemen. Sport jackets are optional.

Note: Jeans, T-shirts, baseball caps, shorts, sneakers and bathrobes are not considered appropriate in any public area after 6 p.m.

Formal Optional: While guests are welcome to dress each evening as per the Elegant Casual dress code, during Formal Optional evenings, guests may opt for a more formal choice of clothing including gowns and cocktail dresses for ladies; tuxedos, dinner jackets or dark suit with tie for gentlemen.

Please note that the shipboard management and staff will be enforcing this dress code to ensure that the elegant yet comfortable ambiance of evenings aboard our luxurious ships is maintained.

I can see that being the next stage for P&O. The key word being Optional.

I could probably do slacks :rolleyes: and a collared shirt after 6PM each night.

On a more serious note:

Nothing at all wrong with that but in the not too distant past cruising was more for the elite with a price tag to suit. We now have much bigger ships, a wider customer base and much lower fares (if you allow for inflation). Many of the new to cruising passengers want a more informal on board ambience.

Trouble is that P&O are trying to make their fleet 'one size fits all' which is just not going to work.

Personally I feel that if P&O recognised these 2 distinct cruising styles they could keep everyone happy and maximise their revenue.

You are absolutely correct. Sadly the dumbing down of the fleet continues.

And as OV1s last season prices for 2010 have soared it means P&O is actually Carnival UK's entry-level budget brand.

Removing the OV flight options a similar 2wk med Itinerary on Ventura - I can get 3 Balcony grade cabins for the same price as 2 OV inside cabins!

Sadly your response demonstrates why we still have reservations. Your assumption that those, such as us, who want a less formal cruise experience is somehow dumb beggars belief.

Interesting comment, but I will try to answer what I think is your point.

Why should the dress code code be dumbed down all the time? Why should not the casual lines upgrade their standards of dress?

Those of us who appreciate formal evenings have never tried to force standards on casual lines, but we are continually bombarded by passengers wanting to change established formal lines to casual. There is something fundamentally unreasonable about that.

Is it any wonder that us soon to be ex OV cruisers have serious reservations about booking P&O and many are even considering a cruise free future? We would hate to have to share space with some of those on this board who have ram rods firmly inserted up their ar$@:mad:

Just wait till us ex OV cruisers take over we will show them how to party and have a good time, without posh frocks and dickie bows!:D

Just wait till us ex OV cruisers take over we will show them how to party and have a good time, without posh frocks and dickie bows!:D

It's good to see that you accept that we do have a good time with our posh frocks and dickie bows.

Interesting comment, but I will try to answer what I think is your point.

Why should the dress code code be dumbed down all the time? Why should not the casual lines upgrade their standards of dress?

Those of us who appreciate formal evenings have never tried to force standards on casual lines, but we are continually bombarded by passengers wanting to change established formal lines to casual. There is something fundamentally unreasonable about that.

Thranite - to equate informality with 'dumbing down' is unfair and provocative. Since when does formality equate to mental acuity? When I leave my evening wear at home to enjoy an informal cruise I always remember to pack my brains;). This kind of phraseology gets people riled on these boards and does a disservice to the many pleasant, healpful P and O regulars on this forum who I am sure do not equate the enjoyment of an informal style of cruising with lack of intelligence or bad behaviour.

The vast majority of the folk who post on these forums regarding dress codes are finding about what dress code is acceptable rather than attempting to undermine it. Most people here are perfectly happy to follow whatever dress code applies to a ship but P and O themselves are giving rise to a certain amount of uncertainty by differing in practice to what they state in writing, hence repeated discussions.

Like David and Heather I continue to sit on the sidelines before booking my first P and O cruise to the Fjords in the spring. Prices on balcony cabins look cheap but I am considering paying the extra to go with Fred Olsen, who impressed me greatly on a recent cruise.

Like David and Heather I continue to sit on the sidelines before booking my first P and O cruise to the Fjords in the spring. Prices on balcony cabins look cheap but I am considering paying the extra to go with Fred Olsen, who impressed me greatly on a recent cruise.

I am sure that we are just the type of people P&O want to attract to their ships post OV, if I were part of their management I would be concerned about just how many have reservations about P&O and how many are considering a cruise free future as I am sure they need to keep the ships sailing full and with Azura on its way its going to get harder for them.

David? /Heather

On a 14n Ventura cruise p&o are now giving you 10 smart casual nights thats not bad is it surely? They are only requesting 4 formal 'dressing up nights' Please play along! ? If you OV cruisers are coming to our 'club' you can't expect us to change all our rules to suit you...we have bended and dropped semi formals to accomadate you, if a All casual cruise is all you can stomach, then perhaps another cruise line should be your choice? Is it HAL that is more formal?

Anyway, if you are interesting in seeing Ventura, here is my album,

http://picasaweb.google.com/AuroraPartyCruiseSueV/VenturaWeekenderSept08#5245864955322613842

Archived