How to book a cruise for parents?

My BF and I enjoyed our cruise so much on the Navigator that we want to surprise his parents with a cruise for Christmas. Has anybody here ever booked a cruise vacation for somebody else? Are there lots of logistics issues? We booked them on the Explorer in December through cruisequick.com. My BF booked with his credit card with his billing address, but with their names for the passengers. Does anybody think this will be a problem? I assume they can fill out their correct addresses with RCCL through the website, right?

Now, how do you go about booking their flights/hotel/transportation? I’ve recently started using priceline, but can you use priceline for someone else? How would they check in if I made the reservation (presumably in my name and credit card)?

We are probably going to put some $$ into their shipboard accounts for spending on excursions/drinks/etc. Are we forgetting anything?

His parents do not travel much and have never been out of the country, so they don’t have passports. I understand that some people get away with birth certificates only. In this post 9/11 world, I do think it would be a good idea to get a passport, but my BF thinks it will be a waste of money since they will probably never go out of the country again. What do you think?

Thanks for all your help!

You should have no problem Lily. I gave my son and his bride-2-be a cruise for their honeymoon. I booked it, paid for it, etc.. They just need to show up!

Yes.. you can change the address on the website.

I bought the airline tickest on the delta website. I paid for them - put their name on the tickets.

Birth Certificates are fine. It might be nice if you are trying to keep this secret is to order them a extra set. That way, they won't have to dig through looking for them.

Maureen

Princess Sun 2/27/2005

Mariner of the Seas 10/16/2005

I also booked my parents on their first cruise. Of course I'm going along as well icon_biggrin.gif.

But booking for them was no problem. Just put their names in the reservation alone with their phone number and address. Just had to make sure to get birthdates and emergency contacts right. (usually they use me and I use them, so had to figure that one out) I can't wait to see how they like it, as I am totally addicted. Hope they are too.

Izzy

NCL Starward 4/92

NCL Wind 12/00

Adventure 4/02

Grandeur 12/02

<MARQUEE>Until Explorer in May!!!!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2004;5;23;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500</MARQUEE>

Until Carnival Pride:

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;10;17;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Roll Call Explorer 5-23

Roll Call Pride 10/17

You shouldn't have any problems. My sister, brother and myself booked our parents for September for their 60th anniversary. The travel agent just asked some questions and we gave her the credit card number we were charging it to. We also went out on line and completed their boarding information. We hope they have a great time and to make sure they do we decided to go with them. icon_smile.gif

Nordic Empress 3/03

Star Princess 10/03

Legend of the Seas 9/04

Parents 60th Anniversary Cruise

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;09;05;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Dawn Princess 11/04 Thanksgiving Cruise with Family

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;11;23;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Regarding your Priceline question. Remember that there is no refund when using Priceline and you will not be able to change anything once you make the reservation. It will have to be in their name as it is not transferable and they will have to show ID and credit card upon check-in. You should be able to book it and pay for it with your credit card but you must book it in their name. Get closer to the time of sailing for the Priceline reservation in the event something changes. You should have no problem doing everything else. You can even pre-buy shipboard credit for them if you choose.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;12;04;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0600

'Til my next cruise

Archived