Belize with younger kids (4-5)

spaceflower77

Hey fellow cruisers! So next year a group of us are taking our kids to the Caribbean and one port is Belize. I heard the snorkeling was amazing, so we're taking the big kids (9-11) snorkeling early and then coming back for the little kids so we can all do something that afternoon. The young kids (there are three) are 4 and 5. We'd like to find a fun Belize activity for everyone. The Calypso Train tour only runs Wednesday's and we'll be in port on a Tuesday, so that is out, unfortunately. Any ideas are welcome, we'd like to find something not too expensive but fun for the family. THANKS! :)

I wouldn't let one person's account of a bad tender ride scare you off. I think it all depends on weather/sea conditions once you get there, and your personal tolerance for smaller boats. I get motion sick pretty easily, but had no problem on our tender ride. Maybe I got lucky and got a bigger/more stable/faster tender boat, but I didn't hear of any problems from the rest of our group either. For comparison, I did get motion sick both on the drive to the ruins (manageable, just a bit queasy) and the next day snorkeling- not on the boat, actually in the water- in Cozumel (when the tour finished I was running for the bathroom so I could throw up), so it's not that I just have a strong stomach.

That said, there aren't a ton of activities right around the pier in Belize that appeal to little ones. If you had more time or could split up, I would suggest the zoo or the baboon (howler monkey) sanctuary, but those are a bigger chunk of your day than just an hour or two including your travel time. I don't know details of this, but I know that it's possible to take a horse-drawn carriage tour of Belize City. When I was little I would have loved this, but you know your kids!

The horse drawn carriage sounds wonderfully fun! And perfect for the short space of time. I wouldn't even consider staying on the ship in port! Part of the reason we travel is so that the kids can experience other countries!!! I don't mind tendering at all. We have sea days to play on board, but in Belize I can't imagine NOT snorkeling or enjoying such a beautiful city! The snorkeling will be amazing for my 10 year old, who's birthday we're celebrating, but I think everyone will be able to enjoy a carriage ride later. Thanks for the great idea! If anyone else has ideas, feel free to contribute, I'd love to hear them. We usually just play on the beach, but Belize isn't known for great beaches -- the awesome coral reef makes sandy beaches few and far between! :)

I would take everyone to Caye Caulker for the day and let the older kids snorkel there and let the younger kids play on the shoreline (fly kites or something like that). I love Belize but Belize City itself doesn't lend itself to tours (horse drawn carriage or otherwise). It really is a dirty, ugly city and most of the people you hear that complain about Belize never got outside of Belize City. IF you would have had time for the Zoo I would recommend that, but with one trip to Caye Caulker you could make everyone happy.

I would second the trip to Caye Caulker. If you walk outside the port area, turn left, San Pedro Express is right next door - we just did this last week, paid $5 per person round trip to go to Caye Caulker. The trip takes about 35 minutes, but the island is wonderful! You get off the water taxi, turn right and walk down front street about 8 blocks to "the split." Its the tip of the island. There is a little half-moon piece of beach in a tide pool area, then you walk beyond that to the Lazy Lizard - a little beach bar. They have a tide pool area with picnic tables in the water, and just past the tide pool area you can get in the water and snorkel - we saw tons of fish and a manta ray. I've posted a couple of pictures There is no pressure to buy anything from the restaurant (they have food, beer, soft drinks, mixed drinks).

1400454201_SSCruise053.jpg.c15b01813b3070f2f64e2938e485cf42.jpg

1985097842_SSCruise056.jpg.d9983b1dcdd13021d68c7d4609fa46cd.jpg

793382776_SSCruise057.jpg.7b285b7ac1a36838dbf52a19a1bf3cca.jpg

I vote for staying on the ship as well, I was there last week and felt VERY unsafe, couldn't wait to get back on the ship!

****I feel the same way and would not venture off the ship if we ever went to Belize again. The place is dirty and scary and not to mention that horrible tender ride which is more than enough for me!!! And yes being sick on the tender does put a damper on own's travel after that!!

I wouldn't let one person's account of a bad tender ride scare you off. I think it all depends on weather/sea conditions once you get there, and your personal tolerance for smaller boats.

**** I would rather be safe than sorry on these darn cheap tenders and if you watched, some looked like they were ready to sink!! You need to get Belize by tender so this definitely is a concern for people!!

While I understand some people's bad experience with a tender, and I do understand one tender during that week was experiencing engine problems, not all the tenders are small or old. The tender we took last week was a large, fairly new catamaran-type craft and was VERY nice. There are some smaller craft also, and depending on the seas, the ride in can get bumpy at times. We've been to Belize twice and have yet to have problems with the tenders going to and from port, let alone the water taxi we took to Caye Caulker and back. I do not know if I would wander around downtown Belize City on my own, but stepping outside the port gate to go the the water taxi terminal we never felt threatened. While there are a lot of folks out there trying to get your business, from tours to hair braiding, a simple "no thanks" and they walked away.

Hi

We were this year in March with my son (4) and he loved Bannister Island. The tender ride is not that bad, but it seems long. Once at port we found a ride to the Island for $50 for all three of. It gave us 3 hr on the Iland before they came back to pick us up. The boat ride a ok (they used a small boat), but once there my son had a great time. There is a small play gound and there is alot of room to sit (the chairs are free). Clean washrooms and good service.

We were in Belize with another couple in March and enjoyed it very much. We had a fun tender- the two guys running the boat were younger and a lot of fun. We chose to go cave tubing and zip lining. We had a driving tour of the city which we enjoyed on our way out to the river. It was very interesting and the area by the excursions was beautiful. We are taking our three kids on a cruise next month that also stops in Belize. We have a 3 year old with us, so we are trying to figure out what to do as well. I would like to take my 14 yr old son snorkeling, but that leaves my wife, 8 and 3 year old daughters on their own. I would like to hear more about the beach area that some of you have gone to. Thanks.

Caye Caulker questions?

Is there anything there to rent- snorkeling equip. or anything fun?

Is there any place that does massages?

What amount of time could you picture staying there before becoming bored?

We just walked up front street to the split, so didn't explore the whole island, but we did see several tour companies for snorkeling/diving, etc, so I'm betting you could rent snorkel gear from one of them (we had our own). Also, it looked like there were sea kayaks and possibly wind surf boards for rental. Not sure about massages on the beach, didn't see any, but again didn't do the whole island. There are taxis (big golf carts) that will drive you around if you want and explore. I do know there was a couple of folks at the split doing hair braiding. We were on the island about 3.5 hours - wandered up front street, looking at places, then hung out at the split - snorkeled, laid in the sun, got a few beverages, etc., then looked at a few little shops/souvenir stands walking back down Front Street to the water taxi pier. The water taxi is about 35 minutes one way. We got a schedule from the terminal, so we knew how often they ran back so we could plan correctly to make it back to Belize City for a tender back to the ship. When we were down there island time was 2 hours behind ship's time, but if you keep your watch on ship's time, there is no problem. We knew the noon (island time) shuttle was 2:00 ship's time, so we were back at the port area by 2:45 ship's time - plenty of time since the last tender to the ship was at 4:00.

mamajules

I'm trying to remember the port at Belize; we were there 3 years ago.

If we wanted to take the water taxi to Caye Caulker, do we walk down

the pier past the Wet Lizzard? I remember having a drink there before

our tour to Bannister Island.

We are traveling with our 5 yo granddaughter and since the tours will

be limited with her, I think Caye Caulker sounds like fun.

Thanks for your help.

We walked into and through one of the buildings in the port area with all the shops, I think the one just past the Wet Lizard, out the far end of the building and out through the back gate. There are a bunch of folks standing right by the back gate - tour people the port area doesn't let in, but they move out of your way when you say no. Anyway, walk through that back gate, turn left, and the next left you can take into a little shopping area (basically 5 steps down the street) is where San Pedro Express terminal is. In fact, one of the guys at the back gate was a representative for San Pedro Express and walked us over the the office to get our tickets.

I think you will really like Caye Caulker. No big beach clubs, etc, but a wonderful little Carribean fishing village, and we really enjoyed hanging out at the split. Its such a relaxing day on a beautiful little island.

We were in Belize with another couple in March and enjoyed it very much. We had a fun tender- the two guys running the boat were younger and a lot of fun. We chose to go cave tubing and zip lining. We had a driving tour of the city which we enjoyed on our way out to the river. It was very interesting and the area by the excursions was beautiful. We are taking our three kids on a cruise next month that also stops in Belize. We have a 3 year old with us, so we are trying to figure out what to do as well. I would like to take my 14 yr old son snorkeling, but that leaves my wife, 8 and 3 year old daughters on their own. I would like to hear more about the beach area that some of you have gone to. Thanks.

River -- I don't think you'll have to worry about your wife and kids being on a beach, esp. where you're snorkeling nearby with your son. My husband scuba dives and on our cruise last fall I had my son, 8, and my daughter, 3 -- hey, same ages ;) -- They did great! In Coz I took them to Nachi Cocum, it wasn't crowded, I felt safe the whole time, there was a couple next to us on the beach (the ONLY couple next to us, the rest of the beach was ours) and my 8 year old would go out and snorkel with them while I played on the beach with my daughter. They found lots of shells, the water was clear and there wasn't much of a tide -- it was great. I had them in Georgetown, too. We tendered alone and took a cab to the beach -- we were fine, it was easy and we had a GREAT time.

I'm not sure what to do now, though -- I want to snorkel with my son for his b day and I want to take the little kids to the beach. I'll actually have a friend with me so I could technically take the older boys snorkeling while she hung out on the beach with the little kids... but I'm wondering if we'll see "enough" just beach snorkeling or if we really need to book a snorkeling tour to see the really amazing stuff.

Any thoughts?

And no more "stay on the ship" advice... thanks for the concern -- but we love tendering, the kids think it's fun, and there is NO WAY we'd miss out on Belize!!! I'm adamant enough about that to want to come back from snorkeling with my son and get the kids and come back (via tender) so they, too, can see Belize! :)

I would second the trip to Caye Caulker. If you walk outside the port area, turn left, San Pedro Express is right next door - we just did this last week, paid $5 per person round trip to go to Caye Caulker. The trip takes about 35 minutes, but the island is wonderful! You get off the water taxi, turn right and walk down front street about 8 blocks to "the split." Its the tip of the island. There is a little half-moon piece of beach in a tide pool area, then you walk beyond that to the Lazy Lizard - a little beach bar. They have a tide pool area with picnic tables in the water, and just past the tide pool area you can get in the water and snorkel - we saw tons of fish and a manta ray. I've posted a couple of pictures There is no pressure to buy anything from the restaurant (they have food, beer, soft drinks, mixed drinks).

Thanks for the picks, Mamajules! It looks so clean and "untouched" -- exactly what we're looking for. Tell me this, though... is it crowded at all? I really love the Corona commercial-esque beach experience where you're not inundated with fellow cruisers, drunkards and big kids who overrun the beach. (which is why I LOVE LOVE LOVE Nachi Cocum in Coz). This beach, however, looks pristine, and if we can get in some really good snorkeling while the little kids play nearby, that would really make for a perfect day.

Thanks for the picks, Mamajules! It looks so clean and "untouched" -- exactly what we're looking for. Tell me this, though... is it crowded at all? I really love the Corona commercial-esque beach experience where you're not inundated with fellow cruisers, drunkards and big kids who overrun the beach. (which is why I LOVE LOVE LOVE Nachi Cocum in Coz). This beach, however, looks pristine, and if we can get in some really good snorkeling while the little kids play nearby, that would really make for a perfect day.

THe day we were there it was NOT at all crowded! When we got there (and realize you will be 1-2 hours ahead of island time) the Lazy Lizard wasn't even open yet. We were the first ones there, a local was there, very friendly, who told us to come on, hang out, showed us how to get past the little rocky ledge in the tidepool area and snorkel, etc. While we were there the bar opened up, but by the time we left (which was noon island time), there was two other couples there, and maybe a handful of people around the sea wall near the half moon beach area. Not bunches of people while we walked up and down front street either. It is definitely a laid back, uncrowded feel. I understand a tour with Coral Breezes comes to Caye Caulker for lunch, at one of the restaurants down Front Street, but we never saw any big group wandering around. I'm attaching another couple of pictures, one looking down Front Street as we walked, another is looking to our right as we walked to the split at little areas under trees looking out at the ocean. Some locals were there hanging out, some do carving, art work, etc.

2011983386_WalkingdownFrontStreet.jpg.0f4cc1b41f7a41204bc4ce3ab9207f01.jpg

483779602_CayeCaulker.jpg.333a0455ce36051b2717d05ad18a5126.jpg

Archived