Poll: Carnival's New Terminal-to-Beach Chair Lift?

Dan Askin

Carnival's New Terminal-to-Beach Chair Lift, Yea or Nay?  

278 members have voted

1. 1. Carnival's New Terminal-to-Beach Chair Lift, Yea or Nay?

• Looks sweet, I'd definitely do it!
    • No opinion on it yet, but I'd give it a shot for $5.
    • Looks OK, but I'd rather not shell out the five clams.
    • It's a new level in laziness -- I'll walk thank you!
    • No way, I'm afraid of heights!
    • Other -- please post.

I think it's both neat, and scary. We are basically talking about a third world country, what happens if it breaks down and you are up there? Who will maintain it?

I agree, I always wonder why anyone would try things like this when on holidays. I compare this to people who para sail on holidays while in 3rd world countries!:eek:

Just there. The pier is finished just the stores are not 100% occupied. Very nice.

Roatan is an island six miles off the coast of Honduras. It was beautiful and in the thirty minute find to Foster's Beach, saw very little poverty and a lot of really nice homes.

My new favorite port

And yep would definitely try the chair lift!

Just there. The pier is finished just the stores are not 100% occupied. Very nice.

Roatan is an island six miles off the coast of Honduras. It was beautiful and in the thirty minute find to Foster's Beach, saw very little poverty and a lot of really nice homes.

My new favorite port

We are gonna try it for sure...sounds like you guys had a ton of fun on the Cruise:D..nice to get to go to ports for a change isn't it?;)

We are gonna try it for sure...sounds like you guys had a ton of fun on the Cruise:D..nice to get to go to ports for a change isn't it?;)

Hey!!

Yep we loved it and it was nice to be somewhere "new"

How are our northern buddies? Hope to see you guys soon?!!

I guess I'd rather see some of the island culture, or nature, or snorkel instead of being shuttled over to the official cruise line beach for the sanitized tourist experience. Most people will love it, though. It kind of sounds like Grand Turk. Nice place but completely devoid of culture. All they need now is a Margaritavile.:rolleyes:

Looking at the pictures over on the Roatan board, I too was reminded of Grand Turk. And I really wasn't that crazy about Grand Turk - the shops were sterile, the beach was crowded, and Margaritaville was mobbed. Mahogany Bay's beach area looks nicer, though. We did a tour with Victor Bodden when we went to Roatan last year, and it was a great day. I'd be inclined to do a repeat tour with Victor.

Hey!!

Yep we loved it and it was nice to be somewhere "new"

How are our northern buddies? Hope to see you guys soon?!!

We definitley will cruise together again soon.....can't wait til our own verison of "new" in January.....we do the same intinerary you guys just did cept we go to Costa Maya instead of Grand Cayman

I guess I'd rather see some of the island culture, or nature, or snorkel instead of being shuttled over to the official cruise line beach for the sanitized tourist experience. Most people will love it, though. It kind of sounds like Grand Turk. Nice place but completely devoid of culture. All they need now is a Margaritavile.:rolleyes:

I totally agree with you. When I saw this yesterday, all I could think of is just how much can you mar the natural beauty of that island. Oh yeah, let's put up a chair lift!:rolleyes:

We were there 2 years ago and then again on Friday and I couldn't believe how quickly they are turning it into a commercial cruise port...I'm glad I saw it before. I would much prefer to head over to the West End beaches (and take in the beautiful scenery along the way), than to go to Carnival's manufactured beach on a chair lift. UGH! Unfortunately the cruise lines have you thinking you've been to an island, when in reality all you have been to is something they built there.:(

As I recall, Roatan, Hondurus is a truly beautiful island, but one of those ports where the ships dock behind a high, chain-link fence. On my visit, I don't recall people walking anywhere. Taxis and busses were INSIDE the fence for hire by the cruise passengers. Whatever you do, you're likely to have to pay for some sort of transportation.

If you're planning a trip to that beach anyway, I think it's a great idea. $5 both ways sounds a lot cheaper than cab fare.

It appeared to me that all the transportation was outside the fence. And I would rather help the people who need the money so badly and pay for their taxi (or walk)....

My new favorite port

Anna, the pier we were just at was actually RCCL's pier...Carnival pays them to dock there until theirs is done in Nov. Somebody in our group went by the Carnival pier...not done yet.

And yup, this is still my favorite island, especially when you take the ride and explore it!:D

For $5 bucks I'd ride it. The walk TO the beach is short, I bet after a day in the sun the walk BACK will seem long! If they did a tram the boardwalk to the beach would have to be wider and stronger, and the diesel generators the make the electricity on the island are cleaner than the tractors that normally pull a tram.

Yeah, this is will be sanitized experience for sure, but just like Costa Maya and Grand Turk there's nothing stopping you from hopping a cab to anywhere on the island. With the opening of this terminal passengers counts on Roatan (on a busy day) will triple, so I kinda hope 1/2 the passenger stay in the port so those of us venturing out don't find the place overrun!

Archived