Ship time vs Land time

Chesie

Hi Tank and Jiffymom,

We booked the Los Veranos Canopy Tour with pick-up at Collage Disco at 9:15am. The itinerary for our ship, Mariner of the Seas, says we arrive at 8:00am...which, after reading all the threads on this board, could very well be 9:00am local time. We told the tour providers, Puerto Vallarta Tours, what time we'd be arriving, and they double checked as well (although not sure what/how they checked our arrival time). They recommended the 9:15am pick-up at Collage Disco.

We're going to call Royal Caribbean tomorrow morning and try and figure this out. We'll post a message here once we've talked to them.

I'm curious as well. I am sailing on the Splendor, arriving into PV on Nov 18th. I have a massage booked at the Krystal for 10:30 PV time. Schedule says ship is due to dock at 9:00 (I presume ship time). If PV time is one hour ahead, we should be ok but if its two hours, we'll have a problem. Can anybody shed some light on this?

I'm curious as well. I am sailing on the Splendor, arriving into PV on Nov 18th. I have a massage booked at the Krystal for 10:30 PV time. Schedule says ship is due to dock at 9:00 (I presume ship time). If PV time is one hour ahead, we should be ok but if its two hours, we'll have a problem. Can anybody shed some light on this?

As of the last Sunday in October, Mexico and the US were back in synch on Standard time.

As a general rule ...

The published itinerary arrival/departure time is local time for that given port.

Ship's time is one hour BEHIND Vallarta local time for nearly all ships in a standard 7-day Mexican Riviera cruise.

Passengers aboard Splendor have been reporting that their actual arrival time in Vallarta was between 0730 and 0800 ship's time (0830-0900 local).

I spoke with both Royal Caribbean and our tour operator today (Puerto Vallarta Tours by Johann and Sandra), and they each gave different answers as to what time the ship is arriving.

The vacation planner I spoke with at Royal Caribbean said that our ship arrives at 8:00am ship time, which is actually 9:00am local time.

But the tour providers said we arrive at 8:00am local time according to their ships-in-port schedule. The tour operator also said there are several other people from our ship booked for the 9:15am canopy tour. I asked the tour operator why there's a discrepancy here, and they said it's because the cruise companies want you to book your tour through them, so make it confusing for those trying to book on their own.

This is really a non-issue for anyone booking a tour mid-day, but for those of us trying to book an early or late tour, it is very frustrating to get different answers from every person we've spoken with.

I've emailed the Puerto Vallarta Port Authority to see what time they have the ship arriving. There is no way this should be so complicated.

I just found the following link that shows the arrival and departure times for every cruiseship in 2009 at the Port of Puerto Vallarta. This document is from the Puerto Vallarta Port Authority. All times are local Puerto Vallarta times.

http://puertovallarta.com.mx/Documentos/CALENDARIO%202009.pdf

So in my case, the itinery given to me by Royal Caribbean says we arrive in PV at 8:00am and that's exactly what is published on this guide. I hope this helps.

As of the last Sunday in October, Mexico and the US were back in synch on Standard time.

As a general rule ...

The published itinerary arrival/departure time is local time for that given port.

Ship's time is one hour BEHIND Vallarta local time for nearly all ships in a standard 7-day Mexican Riviera cruise.

Passengers aboard Splendor have been reporting that their actual arrival time in Vallarta was between 0730 and 0800 ship's time (0830-0900 local).

Thank you!

Much appreciated.

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone,

We just got back on Sunday, December 20th from our cruise on Mariner. Had a wonderful cruise. The ship did not change it's time when we arrived in PV. We booked our Los Veranos tour through Puerto Vallarta Tour by Johann and Sandra. They assured us the ship would arrive at 8am local time and we'd have plenty of time to get to our pick-up location at Collage Disco which was to be at 9:15am local time. They were wrong! The ship did not change it's time for PV and we arrived at 9am PV time. Even being the 10th people off the ship, running (literally) to the first cab we could find, jumping in and scrambling to get there, we just barely got to the bus as it was about to pull out. There was no way we could have gotten there any faster than we did. Another cab came racing up behind the bus and we were able to get the very nice bus driver to wait for the people who were also from our ship. The rest of the people coming from Mariner who were on the list missed the tour bus. Not sure what they did.

The Los Veranos tour was amazing, and I'd do it again in a heartbeat. Our children - son is 9 and daughter is 6, had an amazing time and wanted to do it again as soon as we were done. We only got out of there by promising to bring them back on our next trip. The pick-up at Collage Disco was great and we'll do it again next time.

Next time though we'll book directly through the Los Veranos office rather than bother with Johann and Sandra - while their people were friendly, we didn't appreciate what we went through to get to our tour with our two young children.

Happy sailing to everyone who is on their way soon!

Hi everyone,

We just got back on Sunday, December 20th from our cruise on Mariner. Had a wonderful cruise. The ship did not change it's time when we arrived in PV. We booked our Los Veranos tour through Puerto Vallarta Tour by Johann and Sandra. They assured us the ship would arrive at 8am local time and we'd have plenty of time to get to our pick-up location at Collage Disco which was to be at 9:15am local time. They were wrong! The ship did not change it's time for PV and we arrived at 9am PV time. Even being the 10th people off the ship, running (literally) to the first cab we could find, jumping in and scrambling to get there, we just barely got to the bus as it was about to pull out. There was no way we could have gotten there any faster than we did. Another cab came racing up behind the bus and we were able to get the very nice bus driver to wait for the people who were also from our ship. The rest of the people coming from Mariner who were on the list missed the tour bus. Not sure what they did.

The Los Veranos tour was amazing, and I'd do it again in a heartbeat. Our children - son is 9 and daughter is 6, had an amazing time and wanted to do it again as soon as we were done. We only got out of there by promising to bring them back on our next trip. The pick-up at Collage Disco was great and we'll do it again next time.

Next time though we'll book directly through the Los Veranos office rather than bother with Johann and Sandra - while their people were friendly, we didn't appreciate what we went through to get to our tour with our two young children.

Happy sailing to everyone who is on their way soon!

Thanks. We are going on Princess May 1st. I spoke with PVT and didn't get a warm fuzzy feeing and decided to book direct with Los Veranos. I know PVT has gotten some rave reviews here on the board but I didn't get a good vibe when I called and spoke to them. We are looking forward the zipling. Any info you can relay about the tour would be appreciated!

Archived