Ship time vs Land time

Chesie

So what's the skinny on this? It is our first cruise to the MR and as I was searching threads, just noticed on another thread there is a ship time and land time when booking excursions.

Thanks for any info!

As we are aproaching a time period when the US is about to go off daylight saving time, and Mexico isn't, it would help to know when you are sailing and the ship will be on.

However ... as a general rule, ship's time will match local time in Cab and Mazatlan while ship's time will be one hour BEHIND local time in Vallarta. This applies to the standard seven-day Mexican Riviera itinerary.

we will be on the Mariner of the Seas in May, which will be DST in California. Will we still be on the same time as Cabo & Mazatlan then? PV will be one hour ahead? We have all private excursions planned already, so just want to be sure.

The US goes back on DST in March and Mexico will start DST on April 4th. Assuming the Mariner's captain doesn't change current practice ... In May, ship's time will match local time in Cabo & Mazatlan and ship's time will be one hour BEHIND Vallarta local time.

Enjoy!

As we are aproaching a time period when the US is about to go off daylight saving time, and Mexico isn't, it would help to know when you are sailing and the ship will be on.

However ... as a general rule, ship's time will match local time in Cab and Mazatlan while ship's time will be one hour BEHIND local time in Vallarta. This applies to the standard seven-day Mexican Riviera itinerary.

Sorry:o We are arriving PV 5/4 10 am, Mazatlan 5/5 7 am and Cabo 5/6 7 am on Princess Sapphire. So would PV still be behind ship time?

Sorry:o We are arriving PV 5/4 10 am, Mazatlan 5/5 7 am and Cabo 5/6 7 am on Princess Sapphire. So would PV still be behind ship time?

You will set sail in the Pacific time zone. Ship's time will match local time.

The ship's clocks will be moved forward one hour (to synch with mountain time) at some point just north of Cabo. This will most likely happen Sunday night while at sea and you are asleep.

The ship is now in synch with the mountain time zone and will match local time for Cabo and Mazatlan later in your cruise. The ship's clocks will be one hour BEHIND local time in Puerto Vallarta (your first port). Upon your arrival in Vallarta, local time should be 10 AM with ship's clocks reading 9 AM.

Sapphire will reverse the time change process after you have left Cabo and are headed north for home.

you will set sail in the pacific time zone. Ship's time will match local time.

The ship's clocks will be moved forward one hour (to synch with mountain time) at some point just north of cabo. This will most likely happen sunday night while at sea and you are asleep.

The ship is now in synch with the mountain time zone and will match local time for cabo and mazatlan later in your cruise. The ship's clocks will be one hour behind local time in puerto vallarta (your first port). Upon your arrival in vallarta, local time should be 10 am with ship's clocks reading 9 am.

Sapphire will reverse the time change process after you have left cabo and are headed north for home.

thank you!!!:d

I will be on the Radiance for an 11 night cruise on April 12, I wonder if they will change times for PV as we are continuing South for 3 more ports

Carnival Spirit does the southern itinerary and only makes the one time change to line up with Mountain Standard time. Puerto Vallerta, Manzanillo, Ixtapa, and Acapulco are all on Central Standard so you will be 1 hour behind for those ports (unless RCCL does it different).

That was a little confusing to me. Mexico switched back to standard time last Sunday. The US is making the switch this Sunday. The same thing will happen in the Spring. Mexico observes the standard switching dates that were set a few years ago while our enlightened members of Congress keep fiddling with ours. And pretty much, it hasn't done anything to save electricity. Just gives them something to do.

That was a little confusing to me. Mexico switched back to standard time last Sunday. The US is making the switch this Sunday. The same thing will happen in the Spring. Mexico observes the standard switching dates that were set a few years ago while our enlightened members of Congress keep fiddling with ours. And pretty much, it hasn't done anything to save electricity. Just gives them something to do.

LOL! You should all move to Arizona. We don't mess with those pesky time changes at all!:D

LOL! You should all move to Arizona. We don't mess with those pesky time changes at all!:D

Oh yes please, I really want to bask in that 114 degree summer time sun. Plus it cools down to a brisk 104 by 10pm so what more could you want. A lot of "Zonies" bail on that heat (at least those that financially can) during the summer. Arizona is always a great place to visit however. So many amazing places to see. One of these days, I want to visit those new caverns they found near Tuscon.

Oh yes please, I really want to bask in that 114 degree summer time sun. Plus it cools down to a brisk 104 by 10pm so what more could you want. A lot of "Zonies" bail on that heat (at least those that financially can) during the summer. Arizona is always a great place to visit however. So many amazing places to see. One of these days, I want to visit those new caverns they found near Tuscon.

But it's a DRY heat....you know, like a pizza oven!:D

We were in Cabo on Oct 2. The heat AND humidity really got to me. But it was beautiful, too. Can't wait to go back in May! This time I'm taking to the water.:cool:

The ocean water will be cooler in May. The Alaskan current is already making it's way down the coastline. Cabo will start a cooling trend (water wise) around April/May. The water will start to warm up again around July I think. Not frigid by any means but it can drop below 70 during the late spring - early summer.

The ocean water will be cooler in May. The Alaskan current is already making it's way down the coastline. Cabo will start a cooling trend (water wise) around April/May. The water will start to warm up again around July I think. Not frigid by any means but it can drop below 70 during the late spring - early summer.

I plan on snorkeling through Cabo Sailing. I may not get wet for very long at a time!:eek:

Carnival Spirit does the southern itinerary and only makes the one time change to line up with Mountain Standard time. Puerto Vallerta, Manzanillo, Ixtapa, and Acapulco are all on Central Standard so you will be 1 hour behind for those ports (unless RCCL does it different).

We were on the Spirit in March and the ship never made a time change, so we were way behind in all ports. We were on the Splendor last week and changed time twice, so I think it depends on the time of year and the captain's preference.

I still wonder if itinerary says we arrive in PV at 8:00 am is that PV time? Or ship time.

I am trying to book a private tour and it is at 9:30 PV time I don't know if we could get off the ship and be there by 9:30 pv time.

we will be on the mariner in May.

I still wonder if itinerary says we arrive in PV at 8:00 am is that PV time? Or ship time.

I am trying to book a private tour and it is at 9:30 PV time I don't know if we could get off the ship and be there by 9:30 pv time.

we will be on the mariner in May.

Don't worry, all the tour operators keep better track of the ships than we do, they don't want to miss anyone, so accommodate the ships.

I think I messed up - - I just booked the Los Veranos canopy tour online (not thru the ship), and it has me down for a 9am pickup - - BUT our ship arrives at 8am - so does that mean the ship arrives at the same time as my pickup because of the time change? I'm hoping the tour operators know about the time change screw up - - or that the ship posts the arrival time as the local time. I would think this time change thing probably screws a few people up for getting back on the ship to leave on time!! :)

I heard back from Los Veranos! They changed my pickup time to the later tour - - so when your ship says they dock at 8:00am - - that is really 9:00am in PV, which means there's no way you can have a 9:00am for the canopy tour! So if you're pulling in to PV and doing the canopy tour with Los Veranos, you need to choose the 11:45am tour which has an 11:00am pickup.... Hope that helps!

I just got off the line with Tours by Johann & Sandra questioning when I should book a canopy tour in PV. We will be on Princess Sapphire which arrives at 10:00 am in PV on 5/4/10.

The gal told me that ship arrival time and land time is the same! Now I'm really confused. :confused::confused: Should I call Los Veranos direct and ask them about the times?

I don't want to book a p/u at 11:15 for a 11:45 tour when it may be 11:00 land time when my ship arrives.

I just returned from Carnival Splendor and did Los Veranos on 10/28 (before standard time change). We arrived in PV at 0730 (ship time)..PV, at this time, was only 1 hour ahead and we didn't change our clocks at all going down there. Any arrival times posted on ship documentation are ship times. PV is now 2 hours ahead of ship time since most of the USA just set their clocks back an hour. Somebody will need to post if the ships will now move their ship time an hour ahead to keep the 1 hour difference between ship and PV or if it will remain a 2 hr difference during standard time.

We had booked the 10:45 tour and went right to the canopy office. It's about a 15-20min cab ride. Some in our party had gotten there earlier and were actually able to get on the 0945 tour. They aren't usually booked full, so they are very good about moving you up or back a time slot if you are early or late.

I have done this tour twice and love it. The only problem this time was they gave my daughter the wrong DVD tour (it was the one before ours, we saw our friends)...I have emailed them and hopefully get the right one. If you purchase your DVD tour at Los Veranos, maybe double check and make sure it's yours. I mentioned it to my daughter, but we didn't.

Archived