Constellation July 3/10 - night visit to Hermitage

cruisingatsea2

We are making a list of everything we want to see/do in St. Petersburg. (Ship excursions not available on line yet). We will probably use Denrus. I read somewhere about a night visit to the Hermitage that includes cocktails and chamber music. Does anyone know anything about this? Other than asking Denrus how can I find out more info? Thanks in advance everyone!

We are making a list of everything we want to see/do in St. Petersburg. (Ship excursions not available on line yet). We will probably use Denrus. I read somewhere about a night visit to the Hermitage that includes cocktails and chamber music. Does anyone know anything about this? Other than asking Denrus how can I find out more info? Thanks in advance everyone!

Hi.

We are on the same cruise as you and would also be interested in listening to chamber music in St P. Hopefully someone will come up with more info.

Perhaps the Baltics board would also be a good place to ask. Our roll call is very quiet!

Susan

I'm researching for taking this cruise with my neighbor. I recall as you mentioned a twilight visit to the palace but don't remember where I saw it--I think someone had done this.Do you have any info in regards to transfers to the port? We will probably come into Amsterdam a day ahead. I'm looking now for shore excursions with private tour operators. We did this when on our mediterrian cruise and found it to be more comfortable and more enjoyable. Also, if you get others to go along with you it can many times prove to be a lot less expensive than the ship's tours. Will post as we confirm this cruise for others interested.

I believe it's a special event organized by Celebrity and offered as an exclusive excursion. Check your excursion information for your cruise when it's available. I copied the following from an excursion list for a cruise earlier this year. Also, we've already booked with Anastasia Tours for our custom two day excursion for our August 22 cruise. The cost for four of us on this private tour designed for our interests is about $315 per person.

Rick

PZ97 - Hermitage Splendour - Exclusive Evening

PRICE: ADULT: 299.00 / CHILD: 279.00 USD

DURATION: 4 Hours Approx.

Since the time of Catherine the Great the Staterooms of the Winter Royal Residence in St. Petersburg were opened for evening musical receptions organized by the Tsarina for her friends and guests. Catherine called the rooms for her receptions "hermitage" - a place where she could forget about the affaires of state.

Catherine the Great would send invitations to intelligent and talented people who could amuse Her Majesty with interesting conversation. She would show them new additions to her rapidly growing collection of European paintings and treat her guests to beautiful music - another fashion of the time. During these evening musical parties Catherine the Great transformed herself into a gracious hostess and conducted herself without the usual pomp and ceremony.

To revive the exquisite tradition of the 18th century, this tour offers you a unique opportunity to visit the Hermitage Museum at night when you can enjoy its beautiful collections, avoiding the usual crowds. Your guide will take you up the Jordan staircase that will amaze you with its splendor, the glimmer of the golden stuccowork and the dazzling white marble statues. Having reached the upper landing you will walk through the superb staterooms of the Winter Palace: the Field-marshal's Hall, the Small Throne Room meant to commemorate Peter the Great, the Emblem Hall with its vast gilded columns, the Gallery of 1812 displaying portraits of Russian military heroes of the Napoleonic war and the Hall of St. George fitted in Cararra marble and gilt bronze.

You will continue on to the Small Hermitage and find yourselves in the Pavilion Hall with its 28 scintillating cut-glass chandeliers. A gem among the countless treasures of the Hermitage collection is the famous Peacock Clock made by a celebrated English clockmaker in the middle 18th century and presented to Catherine II by her favorite, prince Potyomkin. You will then move on to the Old Hermitage which comprises the 13th - 16th century Italian art collection. Here on display are paintings by Leonardo Da Vinci, Titian, Rafael and Michelangelo.

Guests will gather in the foyer of the Hermitage Theatre for a complimentary glass of champagne prior to the highlight of the evening, the Gala Ballet Concert on Catherine's stage of the Hermitage theatre - the oldest theatrical buildings in St. Petersburg. This masterpiece of architecture will remind you of an ancient amphitheatre with beautiful proportions and rich decorations. The curtain will go up and you will enjoy the Gala Ballet Concert's selected excerpt performances from the enduringly popular Swan Lake, Nutcracker, Giselle and Sleeping Beauty. You will always remember your evening in Catherine the Great's Winter Palace and Hermitage.

Note: Guests must be able to walk approximately 1.2 miles over even and cobblestone surfaces. There is limited seating inside the museum and no air-conditioning. There are approximately 125 steps covering 2 stories. Large carry bags, umbrellas, and heavy coats are not permitted, and must be checked prior to entering the museum. Camera and video fees for the Hermitage Museum are included in the tour cost. Flash photos are not usually permitted in areas displaying paintings.

Archived