Customs

Eric and Sandy

According to the Booklet that Princess sends you in your package theres mention of filling out custom forms before you go, for equipment you own so as not to be taxed as if you purchased the items while on the cruise, such as cameras, laptops ect that could be made out of the US. Is this something that we need to do? i havent seen any postings about this. Any help out there.

Thanks

Eric

:confused:

Maybe iam not phrasing it right, Customs wants you to prove owership of any products made foreign, that were bought in the US but could have been bought on the cruise, that you took onboard from Home. this way you dont get taxed for something you bought at home but brought to the cruise and came back home with it. Someone must have a answer? It seems logical! Anyone?

Just need some sort of reply, even i dont know would work.

Thanks

Eric

Yes, that's correct. Although we've never declared laptops, cameras, etc. prior to leaving home, I'm also told this is what to do. When we went on the TP last time, we just brought disposable cameras. This time around we're considering declaring our camera. This is just to protect you from taxation. Either declare it or, at least, take your purchase receipt - to prove purchase in case your stopped by customs coming back into the country.

Have a great cruise!

- a past TP cruiser.

I went through the process years ago with a camera before going to the Caribbean. At that time it proved to be a huge hassle in getting the paperwork ok'ed. Since then I have not bothered with the process and have never been questioned upon return from Tahiti, Hong Kong, Singapore, Spain, Italy, France, England, etc. etc.

I think it depends if you are coming back from a place where you might pick up discounted merchandise of the type you are carrying. In other words, don't take black pearls to Tahiti. It seems that Tahiti is an unlikely place to buy a camera or laptop. It also depends, I suppose, on the value of the items you are carrying.

That said, here is the official line from the US customs website:

Q: How Can I Prove I Didn't Buy My Watch/Camera During My Trip Outside the United States?A: Foreign-made personal articles taken abroad are subject to duty each time they are brought back into the United States unless you have acceptable proof of prior possession. Documents which fully describe the article, such as a bill of sale, insurance policy, jeweler's appraisal, or receipt for purchase, may be considered reasonable proof of prior possession. Items such as watches, cameras, compact disc players, or other articles which may be readily identified by a permanently affixed serial number or marking, may be taken to the CBP office nearest you and registered before your departure. The Certificate of Registration (CBPF 4457) that you will be given will expedite the free entry of these items when you return. Keep the certificate as it is valid for as long as you own the article(s).

M

Consider this easy way to provide prior to trip proof of ownership for valuable items. Pack a copy of your Personal Property Insurance form(s) with your travel docs. Quick 'n easy to do ... should they ever be needed. Also - how about photocopies of all those important credit cards, drivers license, passports, etc? ... can really come in handy. Hope this helps. SeaFish

Eric and Sandy,

I travel a lot internationally for work and for fun. I always bring my digital camera and usually have my computer and blackberry phone/pda. I've never once been asked about any of those items as I've returned to the US. If you had your original receipt, it might not hurt to bring a copy, but I sure wouldn't worry about it. I won't be bringing any special paperwork for my camera this time (and the computer will stay home since this is our honeymoon and I don't want to be working!).

jody

Archived