advice on plans for rental car at port canaveral

fuzzye

i am looking for some confirmation on my plans. just double checking what i think will work with more expert advice. we (family of 6) are leaving nov. 26 on a cruise. we will fly in the 24th evening and spending the 25th at disney. my plans are rent a car at the airport (mco) on the 24th and return it the 26th in cape canaveral. i booked a minivan with thrifty. my understanding is i can drop everyone off at the port, take the van to thrifty, and they will shuttle me back to the port. sound like a good plan? when we get back on the 29th, i have a van booked from thrifty we will use to get from the ship to the airport. we fly out at 6pm that night. my understanding is they will pick me up at the port. will i have them pick up all 6 of us or just me and come back and get the rest? also, how do i know what time to get picked up and put on the rental as pick up time? the ship docks at 7am. my understanding is they call you to get off the ship. last, ive book with thrifty. small drop fee down but big drop fee back. they are the only ones i found with a minivan for back. any chance they will drop the drop fee since i will probably pick up the same minivan 4 days later?

You plans are just fine. Here's my opinion and some suggestions (like you I travel with 6 or more every trip)

Pre-cruise, you can drop your family off at the ship and take the van back, OR you can drop the van off at Thrifty and load everyone into the shuttle. I have done it both ways. I prefer to have all of us load the shuttle as a group after checking the van in, that way they aren't just milling around the port waiting for me to come back.

I would recommend putting 9AM as the pick-up time for your rental post-cruise. By the time you get called to leave the ship, gather your bags, clear customs, and get on the shuttle it'll be 9AM.

As far as post cruise, again it's up to you. If the weather is inclement, definately have everyone in your party board the shuttle and go over to the rental location at the same time. Otherwise, it may be just as fast to get on the shuttle as an individual and come back to pick up the rest of the group.

Finding the shuttles are pretty easy. They will have a designated location where you can get on them. If you are cruising on Carnival, it's on the far end of the parking lot, and you will see the various rental car company signs attached right to the chain link fence. Just go stand by the signs (with everyone else :) )... the shuttle with come, eventually.

I say this as it seems like there is never enough shuttles after a cruise in Port Canaveral to get everyone to their rental cars fast enough. My best advice (and this is coming from a guy that has done rental car shuttles all over the place)... when in Port Canaveral post cruise, take a cab (just you, no bags) to your rental car location and save yourself the frustration of waiting for the shuttle. Come back and pick up your family.

As far as the one way drop fees... looks like they've got you there, and I doubt they are going to drop it (no pun intended). They know the market and they know that people are going to take their vehicles over to MCO for a flight outta Florida, so they (Thrifty or Dollar) are going to "get ya" one last time. I did a quick check of Avis and Budget (the two other rental car places I trust in Port Canaveral) and found they don't have vans available online. I would suggest giving Avis - Port Canaveral a call and see if they can get you a van for that day and what kind of price they would charge (look around for Avis Discount Codes on mousesavers . com before calling though... could save you a couple of bucks). Avis does not charge one-way drop fees. The Port Canaveral location is mom-and-pop kinda place and will do what they can to earn your business. Tell them you can get a van from Thrifty and I would bet they will be able to get you one. Do a google search for "Avis Cape Canaveral" to see their website and get the direct office phone number (rather than the Avis corporate 800#).

Thank you. We have never crusied before so this is all new. Its good to have some confirmation from some who has done this before. I'll call Avis. If they cant get a van, I'll just bite the drop fee. Not alot of choices!! Thanks again!

Great thread... thanks. Just wondering, where is the Budget office in relation to the port? So, there are shuttles that take you from the port back to the car rental office? How far is this?

Thanks for any additional information.

1st Budget is close and has free shuttles

Now I would keep the family together as you dont want to do port traffic twice. If you take a cab call one. The ones already there are looking for an airport run and may charge you $25 to take you to the rental. They get in line by lottery and dont want to give up the spot for a short run.

I agree call the companies local office including Thrifty and see if they will drop the drop fee.

We have Avis, Budget, Thrifty/Dollar, Hertz and Enterprise here.

Archived